Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid set to pass us by on Christmas Eve

UM-Bot

Following on from Halloween's close encounter, another seasonal asteroid will soon be paying us a visit.

Originally discovered by the Lowell Observatory Near-Earth Object Search program back in 2003, the 2km-long asteroid known as '2003 SD220' is set to pass us by this Christmas Eve.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...n-christmas-eve

• Like 1

I understand it's a leftover chunk of the now-destroyed Nibiru.

Harte

• Like 2

Let's hope it never gets close enough!!

• Like 1

I would love to put a tractor beam on it and a force field around it and bring it carefully down to earth and put it in my backyard. What a cool conversation piece it would be!

6.7 million miles away. Well, that's good. I read somewhere else [maybe on here] that it was going to brush within satellite distance. Whatever the case, humans must come up with an effective means to avert a major asteroid collision with our Earth. A 2km long asteroid, like this one, could cause an apocalypse. And if the asteroid is spotted too late, again, like this one, attempting to deflect it with nukes wont alter it's trajectory enough, either.

It's time the scientists finally put their thinking caps on and came up with something that could save the Earth instead destroying it! :angry::lol:

Edited by moon tide

I read somewhere else [maybe on here] that it was going to brush within satellite distance.

That was a different, much smaller, asteroid that has noe been and gone.

It's time the scientists finally put their thinking caps on and came up with something that could save the Earth instead destroying it! :angry::lol:

Don't blame the scientists, they have been putting forward many different proposals for years on how this could be done. Blame the politicians that won't give them the funds and blame us, the voters, for putting them in power.

• Like 2

Maybe we should land a satellite on one of these. Let it coast through the cosmos sending data back to us. Free ride and less fuel.

Maybe we should land a satellite on one of these. Let it coast through the cosmos sending data back to us. Free ride and less fuel.

wouldnt the energy needed to get to it, match speed and land on it be the same as just sending one up and out on its own ? Once they are on a course, they just keep going - dont they ?

Edited by back to earth