Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The God Debate - Is it really about evidence?

Emmisal

There is no debate on corporal punishment this is as it stands now: no educational, governmental, or psychologist recommends corporal punishment on a child.

You know this very well as you used force on a child and your principal reprimanded you for it, as it was against protocol. You were told you should not have done this and you ended up resigning.

Now, I understand your point of view and the fact you wanted to protect the other kids, but in the end using force did nothing to prevent this kid from setting fire to the next school he was sent to, nor did it do anything to get him the help he needed, and it didn't help you any. Protocol is protocol.

And yet, I read BTE dealing with troubled kids and he the step dad resolved issues with ingenuity and intelligence while preserving the boys integrity, he hit no one.

This is the problem with violence and the flaws, I have read the things you were caned for and I can offer many alternative strategies that not only would have resolved the situation, but taught you how to self regulate. IMO I think you struggled with getting into trouble and later struggled with ( your label for yourself) hedonistic behavior ( you posted, you lied to a man about the condition of your car and sold it to him anyways),I don't think your problem was a lack of religion, but a lack of quality guidance.

You do know as a teacher that some parenting styles can impede an otherwise intelligent child?

What changed for you was you learned to think things through, had you have been taught this ( you claim to have been a genius child, I have a smart child he was problem solving at 4 quite effectively without being hit for a 4 year old) and when in doubt he asked his parents. I have no reason to think you couldn't have excelled with a non violent approach. A child like you who claims to have been reading Plato and comprehending at the level you claim needed corporal punishment? It doesn't add up MW.

Just a thought.

Corporal punishment may serve as a bandaid in the moment get you out of moms hair but you posted you were caned at least once a month till you left for college, obviously it did nothing to resolve the behavior issue long term, I think it may have been the part of the problem. Shrugs

Corporal punishment in the most extreme cases reports one incident In the entire life of a child at most, and typically the parent is mortified to have ahd to use it and rarely if ever uses it again, I have never had a situation I needed to cane or horse whip my kids to resolve an issue, it just didn't come up, and I am not the minority either.

That is my issue with violence in parenting, it isn't doing what you claim it does and following your journey ( as posted) it seems to support it didn't work on many levels as a effective guide in teaching you how to behave instead, and my second objection is why did you require this as intelligent as you claim to have been. After reading your history for me it serves as the poster child to not use corporal punishment.

This sums it all up, great post.

Thats the end of the matter .

But we know Walker will try to obfuscate all of it and yet again , rehash all his old arguments ... even though they have been minutely disassembled and be shown to be very faulty , even by the information he himself posts.

Either that, or he has been making up stuff as he goes along, and couldnt keep track of it all ... and thats why his whole 'corpus of knowledge' doesnt hold together and seems hypocritical .

• Like 2

I am an expert on Namibia. I've read all the Wilbur Smith books. :devil:

Try talking to the people that live there ... and not the 'Germans' , I mean the natives. On the movie there, a guy I worked for made friends with his local PA / driver. He took him to his house to meet his family. The Aussie was shocked, then he found out what they were paying him and started paying him out his own pocket. Later, in confidence he was taken to the 'desert of bones' - human bones.

Namibia-Lo-Res-9.jpg

Later they got harassed by the local 'big gang' ( virtually a local militia , they act as mining 'security agents' and control the wealth there .. and the poverty ) ... they had a lot of power and 'cred' it was led by a guy that claimed to be great grand nephew of Herman Goering .... there, that gives credentials.

So folks ... when you go to see Mad Max ... and see people spending millions of dollars making explosions in the desert ... and subduing the indigenous populace for mining wealth .... it won;t really matter if its in Australia or not ... same story .

• Like 2

Ooooh. Just believe. The Holy Dopamine Spirit will take care of the rest.

tumblr_n822usvmKn1qfxkqoo1_400.gif

Naaawww, I've got my own s*** to imbibed on! That's my own personal evidence right there! :yes:
  • Like 2

Maybe the internet is not a good place for you Walker. I mean anything outside that perfect box you live in is an apparent threat. Go back to your garden for all of our sake's. This thread has devolved in the same manner as my Pointlessness thread did. It became about you like it always does. If you feel the need to express your views for all to see without being questioned, why not just start a blog and shut off the comments function.

To the OP, Sorry about this. We have a Walker, he like to smash threads.

ME trash threads? I didn't start this. If people accepted the right of others to hold divergent, even if unusual opinions and beliefs, there would be none of this nonsense.

But to respond.NO absolutely not.!! The internet must be made as accountable as real life in every way. Hate, bullying, ridicule, fear mongering, trolling etc are no more allowable or acceptable on the internet, just because one doesn't have to have the courage to face the person being vilified Fortunately laws are being tightened in most jurisdictions to deal with this and people's employment and even criminal records are being affected by posts they put on the internet

To take your opinion to its conclusion, you would see all those "different " people forced off the internet by ridicule and abuse and thus only one opinion allowed on the web.

You do realise what you are saying? That the victim is at fault and the one being bullied should leave the play ground so the bullies can succeed.

its ok. Thanks to my efforts, it is now departmental policy that put downs are considered verbal harassment and a form of bullying, punishable by five lashes with a sound bite from fawlty towers. .

I see (Thats Walker proving he has great sense of humour ) .

The part in bold is a lie and if you got that from anything I wrote it came from your mind not form the account. It is also defamatory and if i am able to prosecute you under Australian law i will consider doing so.

I Stopped a child physically from harming other children.

yes my principal said i should not have done this, but offered no other way to stop the child. He was a bit like you in that regard. Too worried about criticism and not enough about actually protecting the children.

That child set fire to OUR school, was transferred to a second school, and was then expelled from that one within a short time. Of course my holding him by the finger when he was punching me in the chest, and telling him if he struck me again i would defend my self, did not stop him setting fire to the school. BUT it did stop him throwing pieces of metal into a high speed ceiling fan, which were bouncing off and striking other children.

This was all explained in detail in my posts and you have no legal or moral excuse for getting the details so wrong in retelling the account. You are deliberately twisting the account to allow you to use it to vindicate your side of a two sided debate.

This surely tells every unbiased reader a lot about your true character.

I actually followed department rules and protocols, which allow me to use restraint to protect children. I was the one assaulted and had a torn cartilage in my ribs, and bruising, evidenced by a doctors report. The principal was afraid of the parent's response and bad publicity for his leadership, even though i wanted it taken to court to make an issue of it. I did not have to resign, nor was i asked to resign. It was not even suggested that i resign ( mostly because i had done nothing wrong and HAD followed protocol. As it happened, when i rang for help (following protocol) there was no one in the office, and no response, so i had to deal with the danger my self.)

i chose to resign during the next year in part because we had sold a house and were financially able to afford to, but also because the principal would not support me or other teachers, and as a consequence discipline was failing, the kids were running riot, effective teaching/learning was made very difficult , and many parents were taking their kids out of the school, because it was no longer safe for them there. One month after i left, he was forced to resign by the school council, which passed a vote of no confidence in him for the very reasons i have just outlined.

This is absolutely classic sherapy, going to such a lieing extreme to allow yourself to feel vindicated in an argument which is NOT as clear as you present it. Stick to the argument, or if you wish to make a personal criticism, get your facts right. Writing lies defaming a persons character on a public forum is QUITE a serious offence.

This is the worst case of lieng about my posts I have experienced. I doubt i can do anything legally, but i will be following it up. I do believe that in Australia there are quite strong laws on defamation, even on the internet, although cross jurisdictional issues make it hard to get justice.

Every piece of your response refuses to address the issue, or the expert opinions i offered, and makes ill-informed and incorrect assumptions about me and my upbringing. That is classic (and rather nasty) ad hominem commentary.

Funny thing about that kid, you know. He grew up without a father, and had mother who thought he could do no wrong. He was never physically disciplined in his life, and no one ever stopped him from doing anything he wanted to.

. His mother and older sister were actually quite scared of him before he was even 13 years old.

He turned out violent, a bully, and an arsonist, before he even got to high school. I think my parents would have brought him up to be a MUCH less violent person, and one who was more disciplined and considerate of others.

So , you are going to open a case in the Australian Supreme court against a US citizen for deformation ... well, thats gonna eat into your superannuation. Do you have any idea what that would cost you.

And the US will deport Sherapy over here ? To answer a charge of 'misinterpreting ' the 'ghost who walks' * on the Ultimate Mysteries discussion forum :D ...

you are a maniac !

* no one knows who you are, numbnut - how can it be defamation ?

:D

• Like 2

i can laugh at myself, but i don't find sarcasm ridicule or put downs funny, but rather a form of bullying and abuse. It is one of the most common and dangerous forms of abuse faced (by girls especially) in schools and even leads to suicide if a person lacks sufficient self esteem Humour has been used in the past to hide and excuse such abuse (oh it was just a joke He should be able to take it) but, at least in our schools it is no longer tolerated, precisely because it is so harmful. It is a far more hurtful and dangerous form of abuse than a lot of physical bullying because it goes to the self esteem and identity of a vulnerable person. and can scar them for life.

Its not bullying if you deserve it :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

• Like 2

Walker is just a giant pretentious prick that thinks he knows everything about everything.

We had a guy in our street like that . he used to drive people nuts. He would come past our house and offer his advice and corrections on what we should do . Once he stopped my father mowing the front lawn and explained to him how it should be done .

And guess what ? Surprise surprise ... his lawn and garden were an absolute mess ... I suppose he spent so much time telling everyone else the 'right way' to do stuff, he never had enough time to do it right himself .

:whistle:

• Like 2

But we know Walker will try to obfuscate all of it and yet again , rehash all his old arguments ... even though they have been minutely disassembled and be shown to be very faulty , even by the information he himself posts.

Either that, or he has been making up stuff as he goes along, and couldnt keep track of it all ... and thats why his whole 'corpus of knowledge' doesnt hold together and seems hypocritical .

Go back and read my post To take what Sherapy did from it requires an extreme bias and closed mind, causing the writer to see things which never appeared in the post and ignore points which did. It can be done but not without extreme prejudice. I should have perhaps let it go, and might have done so, if i had realised sooner that Sherapy's own childhood trauma had affected her so deeply. But this was the culmination of quite vicious and incorrect attacks on my self and my parents and i would not let it go unanswered.

For example she accuses my parents of abuse when i was never abused in my life That is because in her mind physically disciplining a child HAS to be abuse and she will tolerate no other opinon. IMO this is because it would threaten the accommodation she has made in her mind about her own up bringing, to accept that corporal punishment can be done in love and have nothing but positive effects on a child.

She grew up in fear. i was never afraid of my parents in my life. I actually always felt loved and protected by them. . Thus two different, but reasonable, beliefs about corporal punishment.

Its not bullying if you deserve it :)

http://www.dailymoti...owie_shortfilms

Actually it is, if it is someone else who decides I deserve, it and it has no legal standing. "Oh you are black you deserve what you get; you are a woman you deserve it. You speak with a funny accent. You are different to me so i have to put you down and eliminate the threat your difference imposes. You annoy me and challenge my ideas. You deserve to be bullied into submission ".

East to say, and even to think, that another "deserves to be bullied " to shut them up.

Edited by Mr Walker

Uninformed comment is no weapon at all. (or as my parents taught me, "sticks and stones etc.......)

I provided the source to support my view. Sherapy just went all postal, in a personal attack which, if published in Australia, would be subject to legal recourse for public defamation. I understand that her strong opinions on this matter are a consequence of her own abused childhood, but that is no excuse.

Nah , it wouldnt be, she was repeating what you said yourself . Funnily enough, I never had any type of abuse in my childhood and I agree with her, and not you. So there goes that Walker 'theory' .

Thats another thing you do ..... for some reason, give up all this personal info about yourself .... then claim something the opposite later . Then when someone says 'But you were asked to resign from work ' ......

WHAT! I will take you to court !

• Like 3

I'm not going to comment further because it will just result in me getting banned.

Oh, you dont need to ... I cxan tell exactly what you want to say :)

I'm telepathic, remember :su

... and your previous comment was certainly not uninformed ... the majority of us here were equally informed about this all the same way ... from walker's own posts !

• Like 4

He thought of my back, when I came...................... back.

Well, < he he > taint my fault .... de devil make me do it

womans-back-12-11.jpg

• Like 2

Evidence of an evolutionary anomaly. You avoid the question and state the obvious.

but you didnt posit a question . You did seem to propose some type of evolutionary consciousness and intelligence to nature though (or postulate some connectivity between all types of species evolution .... some type of 'Anima Mundi ' . ... I find that an interesting concept.

• Like 3

ME trash threads? I didn't start this. If people accepted the right of others to hold divergent, even if unusual opinions and beliefs, there would be none of this nonsense.

But to respond.NO absolutely not.!! The internet must be made as accountable as real life in every way. Hate, bullying, ridicule, fear mongering, trolling etc are no more allowable or acceptable on the internet, just because one doesn't have to have the courage to face the person being vilified Fortunately laws are being tightened in most jurisdictions to deal with this and people's employment and even criminal records are being affected by posts they put on the internet

To take your opinion to its conclusion, you would see all those "different " people forced off the internet by ridicule and abuse and thus only one opinion allowed on the web.

You do realise what you are saying? That the victim is at fault and the one being bullied should leave the play ground so the bullies can succeed.

perfect example of why YOU attract what you do , yet again you have twisted what is said, to your own take on it, criticised that ... and then ask if he realises what he is saying .

Its more like "Do you realise what I am saying you have said is more an accurate description than what you yourself meant. "

.... oh damn ! There I go 'bullying' again .

• Like 3

Go back and read my post

No .

To take what Sherapy did from it requires an extreme bias and closed mind, causing the writer to see things which never appeared in the post and ignore points which did. It can be done but not without extreme prejudice. I should have perhaps let it go, and might have done so, if i had realised sooner that Sherapy's own childhood trauma had affected her so deeply.

Rubbish .... you cant let it go for your own reasons ... nothing to do with Sherapy and pathetic to try and blame her childhood for your present actions now !

You cant let anything go; a comment that disagrees with you , the pointing out if an inaccuracy in your posts ... you will go on and on for pages about that, getting in a deeper and deeper hole while thinking you can hide it by merly claiming what we observe is not happening ... you cant even keep me on ignore as you said you have to keep peeking in case I make a comment about you that you have to respond to

YOU ! ... let something go .... :D

Ha !

But this was the culmination of quite vicious and incorrect attacks on my self and my parents and i would not let it go unanswered.

For example she accuses my parents of abuse when i was never abused in my life That is because in her mind physically disciplining a child HAS to be abuse and she will tolerate no other opinon. IMO this is because it would threaten the accommodation she has made in her mind about her own up bringing, to accept that corporal punishment can be done in love and have nothing but positive effects on a child.

Walker .... ummm ... in case you have not noticed , physically disciplining kids is considered abuse nowadays

She grew up in fear. i was never afraid of my parents in my life. I actually always felt loved and protected by them. . Thus two different, but reasonable, beliefs about corporal punishment.

No ... you are the dinosaur here .

• Like 2

Actually it is, if it is someone else who decides I deserve, it and it has no legal standing. "Oh you are black you deserve what you get; you are a woman you deserve it. You speak with a funny accent. You are different to me so i have to put you down and eliminate the threat your difference imposes. You annoy me and challenge my ideas. You deserve to be bullied into submission ".

East to say, and even to think, that another "deserves to be bullied " to shut them up.

you missed the point (again) ... was David being a bully ? Did Ricky deserve it ?

I'll be violent .... I see someone slapping a woman (or a guy for that matter, which happened recently ) I will walk in and stop it ... and slap the offender around ... if I feel like it in that moment. Actually, I might even do it if they were not actually violent (like I did to that guy that I found had not been actually violent ... he stopped just before he threw the scalding milk in his postnatal GFs face while she held the baby .... when his own 5 year old started screaming as he saw what was about to happen.

But he was a 35 year old man ... not a child.

It wouldnt hurt you mate ..... to grow up a bit more !

• Like 2

You still avoid the question. Also, we'd have to settle on a definition for miracle. Technology, far in advance of our own, might appear miraculous.

Do you think being alive with your state of consciences is a miracle?

• Like 2

Thank you BTE, I agree we have talked about corporal punishment enough.

It's not part of our culture anymore anyways.

• Like 1

Nah , it wouldnt be, she was repeating what you said yourself . Funnily enough, I never had any type of abuse in my childhood and I agree with her, and not you. So there goes that Walker 'theory' .

Thats another thing you do ..... for some reason, give up all this personal info about yourself .... then claim something the opposite later . Then when someone says 'But you were asked to resign from work ' ......

WHAT! I will take you to court !

Well i wasn't asked to resign from work and i would hence be very surprised if i had wriitten that.

As i said, Sherapy might infer that my resignation (actually retirement) was a consequence of that incident. In a way it was, but not because i did anything wrong. I was injured while stopping a child from hurting others and rather than being supported my principal criticised my actions. This was his easiest option rather than confronting the child and parent and going through legal action to support me. . But he didn't ask me to resign or suggest i should. He couldn't, because i had done nothing wrong and followed the rules.

Shortly later HE was forced to resign by the school council, who had a vote of no confidence in his failure to support staff, and his abilty to control bullying etc.

it had got so bad that long term staff,known and respected by parents, were resigning, and parents taking kids out of the school because they were not safe.and not learning

I would be very surprised if you can find me saying i had to resign because i had held a child by the finger to stop him punching me in the chest, when he had already cracked a cartilage in my chest.

The problem is that people read things which are in posts, according to bias and belief, and construct in their mind points which never appeared, yet they are certain they read.

perfect example of why YOU attract what you do , yet again you have twisted what is said, to your own take on it, criticised that ... and then ask if he realises what he is saying .

Its more like "Do you realise what I am saying you have said is more an accurate description than what you yourself meant. "

.... oh damn ! There I go 'bullying' again .

No; that was not twisting what was said or intended. His post was perfectly clear and simply wrong. No wiggling out of it possible.

It was a classic excuse from bullies and a common response given to those being bullied.or harassed. "Oh well if you don't like it, simply leave. We dont like you anyway." . "Oh well if you don't find it funny there is something wrong with YOU "

. None of that is acceptable and it does a lot more harm to young people than a slap on the wrist.

No, you aren't bullying in your post. You are giving an opinion which, while wrong, is valid and reasonable, as an opinion. .

Well i wasn't asked to resign from work and i would hence be very surprised if i had wriitten that.

As i said, Sherapy might infer that my resignation (actually retirement) was a consequence of that incident. In a way it was, but not because i did anything wrong. I was injured while stopping a child from hurting others and rather than being supported my principal criticised my actions. This was his easiest option rather than confronting the child and parent and going through legal action to support me. . But he didn't ask me to resign or suggest i should. He couldn't, because i had done nothing wrong and followed the rules.

Shortly later HE was forced to resign by the school council, who had a vote of no confidence in his failure to support staff, and his abilty to control bullying etc.

it had got so bad that long term staff,known and respected by parents, were resigning, and parents taking kids out of the school because they were not safe.and not learning

I would be very surprised if you can find me saying i had to resign because i had held a child by the finger to stop him punching me in the chest, when he had already cracked a cartilage in my chest.

The problem is that people read things which are in posts, according to bias and belief, and construct in their mind points which never appeared, yet they are certain they read.

MW said "I resigned a year later."

Sherapy said "you eventually resigned."

resigned

ri&#712;z&#299;nd/

adjective

having accepted something unpleasant that one cannot do anything about.

I am not seeing the defamation of your character on the information you provided.

Nota Bene: you did not say retired, you did not say quit, you used resign and so did I.

Again, it's time to move on.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

you missed the point (again) ... was David being a bully ? Did Ricky deserve it ?

I'll be violent .... I see someone slapping a woman (or a guy for that matter, which happened recently ) I will walk in and stop it ... and slap the offender around ... if I feel like it in that moment. Actually, I might even do it if they were not actually violent (like I did to that guy that I found had not been actually violent ... he stopped just before he threw the scalding milk in his postnatal GFs face while she held the baby .... when his own 5 year old started screaming as he saw what was about to happen.

But he was a 35 year old man ... not a child.

It wouldnt hurt you mate ..... to grow up a bit more !

I have no idea who or what you are talking about. A victim does not deserve the treatment they get. if you are accusing me of being the perpetrator/initiator, of personal attacks, sarcasm, ridicule, lies or defamatory comments, then back it up.

MW said "I resigned a year later."

Sherapy said "you eventually resigned."

resigned

ri&#712;z&#299;nd/

adjective

having accepted something unpleasant that one cannot do anything about.

I am not seeing the defamation of your character on the information you provided.

Nota Bene: you did not say retired, you did not say quit, you used resign and so did I.

Ah but you inferred and, perhaps in your own mind, constructed a belief that i was asked to resign because i physically restrained a child.

WRONG.

You actually claimed in your post that I was forced to resign BECAUSE of this event.

That is absolutely untrue and i cannot understand how you possibly could honestly come to that conclusion from the information i gave. I retired because i was sick of being injured by students as part of my job, without any support from the boss. Eventually he was sacked for this very thing. By then i was happily retired Yes i resigned but one has to do that in order to retire, unless one is sacked. resignation odes not imply or infer any negative reason when you are 63. i was simply ready to stop working . Actually EVERY person who permanently stops teaching for whatever reason, such as having a family, has to hand in their resignation. It is a required formal process. again with no negative connotation.

I have explained what it is i think is in your mind/ background which compels you to construct such false interpretation of my posts so that your own world view is not challenged. If i had realised this earlier I would not have engaged you in debate.as i might have realised it could hurt you and challenge your sense of self.

Children who are abused often construct strong protective shells, including strong beliefs around them, to protect their self image and esteem. . Your posts suggest you see your mother as your abuser and your grandmother as your protector. As one only loved and protected by his parents, and never abused, i cant rationally debate this issue with you. You have been shaped one way by your experience., I have been shaped in an entirely different (and i think far more fortunate) way

Edited by Mr Walker

Ah but you inferred and, perhaps in your own mind, constructed a belief that i was asked to resign because i physically restrained a child.

WRONG.

You actually claimed in your post that I was forced to resign BECAUSE of this event.

That is absolutely untrue and i cannot understand how you possibly could honestly come to that conclusion from the information i gave. I retired because i was sick of being injured by students as part of my job, without any support from the boss. Eventually he was sacked for this very thing. By then i was happily retired Yes i resigned but one has to do that in order to retire, unless one is sacked. resignation odes not imply or infer any negative reason when you are 63. i was simply ready to stop working . Actually EVERY person who permanently stops teaching for whatever reason, such as having a family, has to hand in their resignation. It is a required formal process. again with no negative connotation.

I have explained what it is i think is in your mind/ background which compels you to construct such false interpretation of my posts so that your own world view is not challenged. If i had realised this earlier I would not have engaged you in debate.as i might have realised it could hurt you and challenge your sense of self.

Children who are abused often construct strong protective shells, including strong beliefs around them, to protect their self image and esteem. . Your posts suggest you see your mother as your abuser and your grandmother as your protector. As one only loved and protected by his parents, and never abused, i cant rationally debate this issue with you. You have been shaped one way by your experience., I have been shaped in an entirely different (and i think far more fortunate) way

No, I used this situation in context of our ongoing discussion as an example to illustrate that force doesn't work to resolve issues.

I tried to use something you could relate to help you understand this.

I have no idea why you resigned.

My only interest is that I do not think force is an over all, long term, constructive, and effective problem solving tool and I think this boy shows this incredibly well.

Force not only made the overall sitation worse on so many levels it didn't help the boy in the long run after all. In my understanding, It's not just on the Mom to deal with this boy, he is all of ours ( hypothetically) and as a human family we work together to find a solution that is a win win for all. This is modern day parenting.

I used BTE as an example in my post to further illustrate that as a step dad he had serious issues at times and he used ingenuity and intelligence to not only solve the problem, but bond to the boys and he even made his lessons fun, and in the process teach them viable things for the future. He is an exemplary example of what We are all saying. This is what we do now with kids, we strategize based on the big picture without making it worse or harmful but productive and constructive. As parents we try to be smarter now. :)

I also used the situation to illustrate that just by your principal criticizing your choice that the educational institution had protocol in place that all problems must be handled in a non forceful way. I pulled this from the dialog.

MW, I tried to use the tools of storytelling to further our discussion as it was my understanding that you are versed in this area as you say you are and I took this to be literal that you know how stories are constructed and how they reveal more about a situation and how we can make conclusions based on many aspects of a story. Didn't you teach Literature and Analysis or am I mistaken?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1