Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bionic eyes could eventually 'cure' blindness

UM-Bot

Scientists have been developing bionic eyes that work independently of a person's own ocular system.

Our eyes contribute so much to our daily lives that those of us who lose the ability to see often struggle to carry out many of the day-to-day tasks that everyone else tends to take for granted.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-cure-blindness

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nnicolette

• seaturtlehorsesnake

• Summerin1905

• Chibadiba

Top Posters In This Topic

So "curing blindness" or tactical weaponry advancement? We all know who this will be readily available to...

So "curing blindness" or tactical weaponry advancement? We all know who this will be readily available to...

so what? i mean, seriously. read the article.

I don't see much improvement in medical technology. Everytime I see the doctor I still get the same medicine..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

But didn't you read the article? Thats exactly what its slated for. You should know people better than to believe otherwise.

the article says it might possibly have vision augmenting abilities. in the future. right now, it is in fact for treating blindness.

right here:

While right now the main goal of this technology is to enable blind people to see, in the future such a system might also be used to give a healthy-sighted person augmented vision such as the ability to zoom in over long distances or to even see in the dark.

do you really think we should avoid life altering technology because it might, some day, have other applications?

I definitely need a new pair of bionic eyes, I started seeing sporadic flashes of light in my right eye especially when I turn my head to the right or look to the right. That plus I got some heavy extra floaters. Eye doctor could find no reason for it other than my aging vitreous humor pulling on my retina. Looks like it's my new normal, but it still beats having severe tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

Edited by Infernal Gnu

this is pretty cool. technology has come a long way.

Yep. Sure has.

The first cochlear implants back in the 1980s required batteries the size and weight of a full hip flask.

My oldest son, who's eight years old, has cochlear implants because he was born profoundly deaf.

He had his implants installed by his first birthday. These days, seven years later, each implant requires a battery about the size of the fingernail on your middle finger. The batteries need to be recharged overnight, but they can be recharged hundreds of times. The microphone which picks up sound, and the processor which converts the sound into an electrical signal, fit into a device the size of the fingernail on your little finger.

That's just one field of medical technology. But one I'm very grateful for.

Cool.

Maybe I'll get a new ear to fix me up too.

Our perspective is that of a sighted person, but a person who has never had vision has an opportunity to explore our spectrum and perhaps even beyond it to create a very personal image of reality ... consider the opportunities provided by Geordi LaForge's wide spectrum visor on Startrek.