Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South American UFO footage

Ozfactor

Well you repeatedly, in this thread, refer to the lights as "They don't look like any planes I ever saw" or "That isn't normal" or "I don't know how they do things in South America, but that isn't a normal light pattern up north" oh and then "anyone who really takes a look at that and say planes, in my opinion is over ridden by their world view, and blinded by it.".

Of course you cover your six by saying, after all that, "I'd still be a long ways from believing it's aliens. If that's everyone's problem." so my bad. Poor ad-libbing on my part.

So how about the rest of my post, did I cover it for you?

Not sure why preacherman76, who lives under an airport corridor, hasn't seen anticolIision lighting before but that is what every single one of those objects is sporting.

images%2047_zpsw2bhlmcb.jpg

Planes.

SCL airport has two parallel runways, directed north/south, and is located in a kind of canyon with mountains on the left and on

the right.So planes have to, if the destination isnt in the launch direction, undertake tight 180° U-turns, the same for approaching

aircrafts. The spectacle can be viewed on FlightRadar24 .

Here in Melbourne there is a visual approach from the South which can have a very short intercept and you regularly see commercial jets doing tight manoeuvres like this to line up for final approach.

The video, to me, does pretty clearly seem to show commercial jets in limited visibility.

I live right next to Stewart airport in NY. I see these planes fly right over my house constantly all day and night. Solid white lights by themselves with no blinking red, or solid green lights at all?I don't know how they do things in South America, but that isn't a normal light pattern up north

Commercial jets have a number of different lighting systems, eg. Navigation or Anti-Collision.

Under different weather phenomena the aircraft can display certain lights at their discretion, or must display certain lights.

The strobes are located on certain parts of the fuselage which should be visible from almost any angle. It's hard for me to believe that you never see any blinking lights.

Just to add: USA does have quite good ATC, I know your aircraft do have flashing strobes and definitely on approach to aerodromes.

Edit: If you're seeing solid white lights, they are probably the landing lights which are pretty much like high beams on a car and would drown out any strobes.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Since when does a extraterrestrial spacecraft fly around with anticollision lights flashing? How about taxi lights turned on?

My thought exactly. :) Still that those look like the strings of lights is quite strange. Just a festive lighting may be?

These are T-35 Pillan propeller driven aircraft trainers used by the Chilean Air Force. They have had an aerial "parade" every year since 2003 from a graduation ceremony and every year these same videos show up with the same result; panic and speculation.

Here is a video from 2013:

Here is a video from 2012:

Here is a video from 2012 of the parade:

Here is a video from 2011:

Here is a video from 2010:

Here is a video of the parade in 2010:

Here is a video from 2008:

Here is video from 2004:

Here is video from 2003:

• Like 7

Here in Melbourne there is a visual approach from the South which can have a very short intercept and you regularly see commercial jets doing tight manoeuvres like this to line up for final approach.

The video, to me, does pretty clearly seem to show commercial jets in limited visibility.

Commercial jets have a number of different lighting systems, eg. Navigation or Anti-Collision.

Under different weather phenomena the aircraft can display certain lights at their discretion, or must display certain lights.

The strobes are located on certain parts of the fuselage which should be visible from almost any angle. It's hard for me to believe that you never see any blinking lights.

Just to add: USA does have quite good ATC, I know your aircraft do have flashing strobes and definitely on approach to aerodromes.

Edit: If you're seeing solid white lights, they are probably the landing lights which are pretty much like high beams on a car and would drown out any strobes.

Go to the video half way down the first page. Go to about the 45 second mark, and watch till about 57 seconds. There is a set of 4 lights moving to the furthest left. Two lights to the right of that set of 4, move underneath the other 2, then move up, and take there place to make a solid straight line of 4 lights. Maybe its some type of optical illusion or something, but that doesn't look normal. If that can be rationally explained, then I'll concede. Even if it can be rationally explained, to most folks who will take a honest look, without assuming anything first, they'd have to admit it doesn't look normal.

Nailed, Dr Brian - bravo. Funnily enough I remember these now, but didn't earlier.

I'm wondering if some posters didn't see just how many lights seemed to make up each 'craft'? Did I miss the bit of the discussion where a very tight formation of aircraft (which is quite unusual) was mentioned? It seems everyone was saying it was just commercial aircraft 'as usual' but some of that footage clearly wasn't 'as usual' - in this case I think Preacherman was right to say this wasn't normal.

I suspect some folks didn't actually look at both videos....

Thanks Dr B.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3

Nailed, Dr Brian - bravo. Funnily enough I remember these now, but didn't earlier.

I'm wondering if some posters didn't see just how many lights seemed to make up each 'craft'? Did I miss the bit of the discussion where a very tight formation of aircraft (which is quite unusual) was mentioned? It seems everyone was saying it was just commercial aircraft 'as usual' but some of that footage clearly wasn't 'as usual' - in this case I think Preacherman was right to say this wasn't normal.

I suspect some folks didn't actually look at both videos....

Thanks Dr B.

Tight formation? Maybe. I went back and looked again. Seems to me that might not really explain it either. Look again. The two lights that were passing under the other 2 and met up to make a straight line, crossed over each other. If it was a independent plane just flying REALLY close, it was either originally upside down, or it turned upside down just before it met up with the other 2. I suppose its possible that it was originally upside down. Ive seen plenty of air shows to know that's possible. Just seems unlikely to me though. But yea, possible.

Have you checked out Dr Brian's post and links yet preacherman ?

Have you checked out Dr Brian's post and links yet preacherman ?

I did. I didn't go through every video, but I got the point. Im pretty much in agreement with ChrLzs at this point. There was reason to believe this wasn't even close to a normal landing, but probably was a abnormal landing of planes none the less.

Im still a little perplexed why we didn't see them on the other side of that building, even though the lights were turned away from us at the time. Think you probably should have still seen some light. But then the video is unintentionally deceptive to how dark it actually was. The close ups make it appear as though its the dead of night. But when he zooms back in, you can see there is still some sun light. So that probably explains that.

These are T-35 Pillan propeller driven aircraft trainers used by the Chilean Air Force. They have had an aerial "parade" every year since 2003 from a graduation ceremony and every year these same videos show up with the same result; panic and speculation.

Here is a video from 2013:

Here is a video from 2012:

Here is a video from 2012 of the parade:

Here is a video from 2011:

Here is a video from 2010:

Here is a video of the parade in 2010:

Here is a video from 2008:

Here is video from 2004:

Here is video from 2003:

You nailed it. I knew it was a large formation of military aircraft but hadn't had time to look into it further. If you watch the long video someone posted of this event you can clearly see the divisions breaking over the airport and landing as singletons. I thought trainers of helicopters due to speed. Distance, perspective, terrain and hour of the day make this appear more odd than it is and if you aren't used to seeing aircraft in formation then you'd definitely be taken aback.

• Like 2

I did. I didn't go through every video, but I got the point. Im pretty much in agreement with ChrLzs at this point. There was reason to believe this wasn't even close to a normal landing, but probably was a abnormal landing of planes none the less.

Im still a little perplexed why we didn't see them on the other side of that building, even though the lights were turned away from us at the time. Think you probably should have still seen some light. But then the video is unintentionally deceptive to how dark it actually was. The close ups make it appear as though its the dead of night. But when he zooms back in, you can see there is still some sun light. So that probably explains that.

Don't have time right now (my holidays are over..sob..) , but I'll take another look later at the two events you have concerns about.

• Like 1

Oh ok - well it seems that Dr B got this (so called) UFO mystery sorted out.

IMO - it seems to be pretty much a 'cut-and-dried' case.

It's amazing how the heading in the OP (or any other OP for that matter) can be misleading.

Any mention of 'UFO' in titles - certainly gains a lot of attention...

Anyway's I'm sure ChrLzs will get to the bottom of any queries you may have in regards to this. He's a pretty smart cookie.

Ciao...

• Like 1

<snip>

Anyway's I'm sure ChrLzs will get to the bottom of any queries you may have in regards to this. He's a pretty smart cookie.

Ciao...

We are lucky to have some pretty smart cookies here at UM to chip in, ChrLzs being one of them.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Wow. 2 smart cookies telling me I'm one!

I humbly bow, while standing on the shoulders of giants...

How's that for screwing up two metaphors..?

• Like 2

Wow. 2 smart cookies telling me I'm one!

Aww - well I'm not too proud to give credit where it's due -- :-*

Me a smart cookie ? - Idk - I certainly have my faults :D

I humbly bow, while standing on the shoulders of giants...

images%2048_zpswk9cr2b9.jpg

How's that for screwing up two metaphors..?

:rofl:

• Like 1

here's the other clip, mentioned in the op.

it's from a different angle and not THAT grainy.....

I would question them being UFO's since they weren't visible in the zoomed in video for the first 25 seconds so they wouldn't have been visible t the naked eye before that to grab you camera and film them

It's been said already in this thread but I'll toss my .02 in the hat. Years ago at Mirimar in San Diego when the jets came over the hill in formation at night it used to look just like this. I'm pretty sure it's aircraft in formation, either jets or helicopters (I'm leaning toward the former). The fact they look stationary for a while could mean they're just heading directly at you.

It's been said already in this thread but I'll toss my .02 in the hat. Years ago at Mirimar in San Diego when the jets came over the hill in formation at night it used to look just like this. I'm pretty sure it's aircraft in formation, either jets or helicopters (I'm leaning toward the former). The fact they look stationary for a while could mean they're just heading directly at you.

Check out this video as it clearly shows what you are talking about. At the 2 minute mark you can see the formations breaking up and landing as singles. It clearly shows the pattern over the landing field as the aircraft come in and disappear behind a ridge.

• Like 1

Go to the video half way down the first page. Go to about the 45 second mark, and watch till about 57 seconds. There is a set of 4 lights moving to the furthest left. Two lights to the right of that set of 4, move underneath the other 2, then move up, and take there place to make a solid straight line of 4 lights. Maybe its some type of optical illusion or something, but that doesn't look normal. If that can be rationally explained, then I'll concede.

I looked at this sequence, and if you visualise this as separate planes, with two just getting themselves re-arranged into the line, I can't really see a problem - there are several times when some of the aircraft are out of line and they fairly rapidly get back into position. I might be missing something, so feel free to elaborate.

Re the behind-the-building bit, I suspect they simply maneuvered and peeled off either directly away from, or directly towards the observer. Plus, you are right that once they were facing away and reasonably distant, the chances of seeing just their nav strobes would be quite low. I think that had he kept filming a bit longer, we would have seen them re-appear...

Anyway, my conclusion now (and I'd give it about 95% probability, based on gut feelings only..) is that this is genuine footage of those Pillan aircraft doing their Xmas flyover. Without access to the original uncompressed media, pref in higher resolution, I can't definitely eliminate other possibilities. I also suspect that those filming it knew dam well what they were seeing as this was a scheduled event, but those presenting it as UFO's are doing their usual dishonest best to get hits..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

And, for those interested in the history - these same sightings started as far back as 2002, when the 'FACH' flying school started the Santiago Xmas graduation flyover tradition:

http://forgetomori.com/2008/ufos/multiple-ufos-in-formation-taped-over-chile/

• Like 1

I also suspect that those filming it knew dam well what they were seeing as this was a scheduled event, but those presenting it as UFO's are doing their usual dishonest best to get hits..

Agree - as I very much doubt that such a spectacular yearly event would be kept under wraps or played down.

• Like 1

I looked at this sequence, and if you visualise this as separate planes, with two just getting themselves re-arranged into the line, I can't really see a problem - there are several times when some of the aircraft are out of line and they fairly rapidly get back into position. I might be missing something, so feel free to elaborate.

Re the behind-the-building bit, I suspect they simply maneuvered and peeled off either directly away from, or directly towards the observer. Plus, you are right that once they were facing away and reasonably distant, the chances of seeing just their nav strobes would be quite low. I think that had he kept filming a bit longer, we would have seen them re-appear...

Anyway, my conclusion now (and I'd give it about 95% probability, based on gut feelings only..) is that this is genuine footage of those Pillan aircraft doing their Xmas flyover. Without access to the original uncompressed media, pref in higher resolution, I can't definitely eliminate other possibilities. I also suspect that those filming it knew dam well what they were seeing as this was a scheduled event, but those presenting it as UFO's are doing their usual dishonest best to get hits..

Nope, Im satisfied with whats been said.

Just to clarify, I was having a go at the YT channel owners who are misrepresenting this, not you, preacherman.

• Like 2

Well, I am an open minded observer of this type of phenomena, but this is clearly aircraft, either on approach to an airport, or helicopters in formation. If you look at the footage during the brief moments of steady handed camera work (deliberate sarcasm) and when it is actually in focus, you can see the flashing lights on the fuselage of the aircraft, so unless extra-terrestrial visitors are using anti-collision lights this is a dead giveaway for aircraft. :yes:

• Like 1

Go to the video half way down the first page. Go to about the 45 second mark, and watch till about 57 seconds. There is a set of 4 lights moving to the furthest left. Two lights to the right of that set of 4, move underneath the other 2, then move up, and take there place to make a solid straight line of 4 lights. Maybe its some type of optical illusion or something, but that doesn't look normal. If that can be rationally explained, then I'll concede. Even if it can be rationally explained, to most folks who will take a honest look, without assuming anything first, they'd have to admit it doesn't look normal.

It simply looks like a couple of aircraft in unison which are closer to the aerodrome, and some further away.

The general position of the lights in the video does support this and doesn't suggest anything untoward.

Another point, the times you can observe the movement of the 'lights', is completely within the realm of passenger jets.