Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple lose out on $52M win due to faulty app

UM-Bot

A husband and wife from the UK missed out on the lottery jackpot despite matching all six numbers.

Winning the lottery should have been a dream come true, but for grandparents Edwina and David Nylan, who managed to pick all six numbers in the UK lottery draw just before Christmas, jubilance and celebration very quickly turned in to misery when they realized to their horror that their entry in to the draw hadn't registered properly due to a technical issue during purchase.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-to-faulty-app

I think the betting company should show some goodwill and give them some money in this case.

Edited by Saru
Removed reference to stock image which has since been replaced

Wow - that sucks.

Something does not seem fair about this.....surely they could be given something - especially since the glitch wasn't their fault.

• Like 1

Time to sue the maker of the app.

I have realized recently that, all lotteries, No matter what country/State you live in, ARE FIXED!! Remember this when you go to buy your tickets,The lottery numbers are not drawn randomly.But are generated by a sophisticated computer program that searches the played numbers and then generates the lowest possible pay out.It is a safer bet to take the money you spend on lottery tickets and put in a sock each week and see what you have at the end of the year.That's right! Boycott lotteries and sock your money away and you will always be a winner in the end.

I have realized recently that, all lotteries, No matter what country/State you live in, ARE FIXED!! Remember this when you go to buy your tickets,The lottery numbers are not drawn randomly.But are generated by a sophisticated computer program that searches the played numbers and then generates the lowest possible pay out.

You realised this, did you? Any evidence? Or did this revelation come to you in a dream?

There are far easier ways to con people than in front of millions of people, live, every week.

Time to sue the maker of the app.

No chance. The terms and conditions of business of such companies, and others as well, clearly exclude any accountability

for financial losses and failure of performance on the services provided.

Camelot (the lottery company) increased the numbers a few weeks back, making the odds to win from 49 million to 1, to 79 million to 1 (yes 79.000.000) which makes it nearly impossible to win,on a single £2.00 ticket, that's why the Jackpots keep going up every week because of the increase in the basic numbers. This also affects the smaller prizes, ie:- £25 for three numbers, £40 for four numbers, etc. so why don't you cut your losses by putting £1-00 on the Irish Lottery where you get £60 for a 2 number win and over £600 for a 3 mumber win. Little and often is better odds than no win at all.

Where I live, the state and national lotteries have a "disclaimer" printed on the ticket, which basically says that if you are a winner but something went wrong to make you a winner, that... you are not a winner and there is no legal recourse other that ticket purchase refund.

This happens every so often. Not a lot, but now and then.

Would be interesting if one could sue in court for "emotional distress" (not for the lottery amount), as distress clearly would be the case supported by nearly any psychologist or psychiatrist on the entire friggin planet.

In the US I don't think that's allowed, and you are simply left with crying in your closet or throwing yourself off a cliff.

Edited by pallidin

Spud, that's incorrect. The odds of winning the lottery were 1 in 13983816 and now they're 1 in 45057474 (1/(49!/43!6!) as was, compared to 1/(59!/53!6!) now).

Spud, that's incorrect. The odds of winning the lottery were 1 in 13983816 and now they're 1 in 45057474 (1/(49!/43!6!) as was, compared to 1/(59!/53!6!) now).

apologies , its what I read in a Moron newspaper which I won't be buying again
  • Like 1

Well I think this image of the couple in question speaks volumes, they are absolutely gutted, who wouldn't be :no:

medium_e6_2dDZYZ4sH8eSdfwDPjwNK9kKjWwzeYlslPg8j4cU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I feel them

No matter what country/State you live in, ARE FIXED!!

heh lotto over here is drawn like bingo .. balls bobbing around and randomly selected..

no computer selection here