Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Making a Murderer' on Netflix

ploppy

Is it crazy that since ive heard he burned a cat alive I just hate the guy so much that I can't possibly watch it without being bias.

• Like 1

Where did you see that? That garage clearly wasn't cleaned, ever. No way these guys could remove all her DNA from that scene after shooting her in the head. That would have made an amazing mess.

...When Brendan Dassey returned to his own home, his mother, Barb Janda, who is Steven Avery’s sister, noticed bleached-out splotches on her son’s jeans and asked how that had happened. Dassey told her that he had been helping his uncle clean the floor of his garage. [...] State DNA expert Sherry Culhane testified that no traces of Teresa’s DNA were found on Dassey’s clothing, but she also pointed out that his clothes had extensive bleach stains as a result of the garage cleaning that Dassey and his uncle had performed. Bleach, Culhane said, destroys DNA.

More info here>

http://www.wetpaint.com/making-a-murderer-evidence-1463954/

Is it crazy that since ive heard he burned a cat alive I just hate the guy so much that I can't possibly watch it without being bias.

No one said the guy was an innocent child. Just that he likely didn't commit the crime he was inprisoned for life for.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had a hard time with the torturing of a cat.. Yet he admits to doing it and that it was a really stupid thing he did. What is incredibly hideous is the men and women as well..that abused their power and authority in law enforcement . Framed this guy.. And knew who the real murderer rapist was..and those who were in a position not of power but privy to the conspiracy and gross miscarriage of justice yet sat idly by. Never divulging to say dept of justice what was happening are just as guilty of this nefarious and framing of this Steve Avery as the conspirators.. I do believe in hell ..and everybody that was involved in setting up Steve Avery.. They will have eternal hell ..on earth.

Pretty interesting. Avery was just about to get 34 million dollars for being framed for a rape he didn't do.. And the sheriff's department were in a whole lot of trouble ..and were going to have to pay the money to Avery. Till suddenly there is a dead woman that turns up on his property.. What timing... The sheriff's department in Wisconsin are the most evil nefarious people ever. The DA that prosecuted Avery for the rape he never did..retired as he was texting sexual messages to a rape victim in another case. Wisconsin is not good .don't go there. Those who have jobs in law enforcement are Breaking the laws. What a backwards place. There its not the criminal s you have to worry about... It's the police and the prosecutors.. That's the worst. Talk about an oppressive place to live. Imagine all the many many lives that have been destroyed by the sheriff's department in Manitowoc Wisconsin..

• Like 2

The sheriff's department in Wisconsin are the most evil nefarious people ever.

Hey hey now that is a really startling, sweeping, generalization to make.

• Like 1

If you are arrested ..you By LAW are allowed 3 phone calls you have the right to receive visits and you especially have the right to speak with an attorney and or a public defender.. And no way in hell is any law enforcement officers or sheriff's department or DA allowed to physically tamper with evidence or squash someone's civil rights.

Let alone frame someone Twice. You are no longer an upholder of the law at that point.. But a criminal and should retire .

The sheriff's department in Wisconsin are the most evil nefarious people ever.

No its not.

Yes it is. Are you not aware that Wisconsin is an entire state? So to say the Sheriffs Dept in Wisconsin are the most evil nefarious people ever encompasses a lot of people. Additionally, there have been some pretty friggen evil people in the history of the world, you really think a few cops framing a man, while terrible, is the worse thing ever committed by humans?

• Like 1

I always try to take what the media says with a large grain of salt. I think we always have to remember their real goal is not factual reporting but to SELL their story. In order to do that you have to come up with a story that will sell. So that always makes me come at stories like this one with a grain of suspicion toward the writers.

That said, personally I find doubt in the fact that EVERYONE in this Sheriff's Dept. and in the Prosecutor's office or at least all the people necessary to carry it off have been willing to take part in this and NONE of them has broken ranks and come forward. You just don't find that type of complicity in large groups of people, at least one person always breaks down. In this case with publicity so high they could break down to one of the scandal sheet mags and make some pretty good money.

The thought of what it would take to carry this off also gives me another pause. I saw the retired Sheriff being interviewed and castigated for a comment that he made that I found myself understanding and agreeing with. "It would have been easier just to shoot him." We are to believe they somehow took a girl (that had been murdered? did they murder her just to obtain a corpse?) cremate her body on Avery's property, and scatter the bones about ? How about the fact that if they did do that they would have to do so knowing the real killer was left lurking around in their own community ? They leave their wives, their daughters and their mothers at risk in order to frame Steve Avery ? And they are going to have to go on for the rest of their lives wondering if one of their partners in crime is going to spill it all to the Enquirer ?

I go with the old Sheriff, would have been simpler and a lot less dangerous just to shoot him.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

May I respectfully suggest the use of a video recording device such as a PVR or even VCR.

Regards.

Final thing that did it for me was the recording of that cop calling in her plate number 2 days before they found the vehicle. That gave me chills.

What's this about the license plate? (I'm familiar with the case but I haven't seen the Netflix doc..)

• Like 2

What's this about the license plate? (I'm familiar with the case but I haven't seen the Netflix doc..)

At one point in the trial, they played some audio of Andrew Colburn, a deputy, asking for what the license plate number of Holbach's (the victims) vehicle.

This was a couple of days before they actually found the vehicle.

Dispatch recited the numbers to him, and then he says something like "A '99 Toyota?" Dispatch confirmed that was correct.

It never delved further into this, why he was asking for specific clarification on it. The way the filmmakers presented it, it was chilling.

However, in my mind, the entire police force would have been looking for this vehicle at this point. It's very possible he just wanted to have the info with him, as he patrolled.

• Like 2

However, in my mind, the entire police force would have been looking for this vehicle at this point. It's very possible he just wanted to have the info with him, as he patrolled.

Right, in my mind too, of course.

Thank you. :tu:

At one point in the trial, they played some audio of Andrew Colburn, a deputy, asking for what the license plate number of Holbach's (the victims) vehicle.

This was a couple of days before they actually found the vehicle.

Dispatch recited the numbers to him, and then he says something like "A '99 Toyota?" Dispatch confirmed that was correct.

It never delved further into this, why he was asking for specific clarification on it. The way the filmmakers presented it, it was chilling.

That's what I thought too, the girl is missing, he called in to ask the plate number because he wanted to be on watch to look for it.

But then again, I was just reading up, and apparently in the recording of him calling in the plate he says "Can you run plate ABC 456" rather than calling and saying "What was the plate number of that missing girl again?"

• Like 4

This is the Timewarrior speaking. . .

While there is more than enough evidence to attest to police incompetence and perhaps even criminal professional negligence. . .facts are still facts and conspiracies only work in movies. As I've said before, the more people know about a particular crime, the more likely it is to be exposed. The most perfect murder involves only two people, and one of them is the victim. While there are miscarriages of justice, (mostly due to unreliable eye witness testimony, faulty science, shoddy police work, and just plain moronic juries), there is still a very strong undercurrent of a sense of guilt on the part of Avery that I can't help but notice. In short, we have a bizarre situation, where a man with previous criminal tendencies was improperly convicted of a crime he did not commit, got released, only to continue his pursuit into debauchery 2 years after his release. What seals his guilt for me is mostly due to the victim's reports on his behavior towards her, and how he actively tried to lure her to his place. . .there was clear intent on his part. . .however, despite all best efforts, improper procedures were done in the murder investigation. It galls me that evidence was found by members of a police force whom Mr. Avery was suing. . .it does not pass the sniff test. . .it should not have been allowed in the court and the investigators in charge should have been severely reprimanded for possibly compromising a murder investigation.

But then again, I was just reading up, and apparently in the recording of him calling in the plate he says "Can you run plate ABC 456" rather than calling and saying "What was the plate number of that missing girl again?"

Come again...

• Like 1

Yeah, now that Rinna mentions that, it does seem to me that He (colburn) read the plate to dispatch, and it came back as belonging to Halbach.

Still, he could have been just reading it off a missing person report he had. I do agree that the way it was presented seemed very suspicious (but, much of what they presented did that)...as they never really played any answer or rebuttal to this.

I found this :

This is from a Slate Article....

What was the deal with the license plates?

When Sergeant Andrew Colburn was questioned by Steven Avery’s lawyers about calling in Teresa Halbach’s plates, it seemed like he may have been caught in a lie, but exactly what was going on was a little hard to parse. It was Episode 5, Colburn was on the stand, and defense attorney Dean Strang asked him about the basics of calling in license plates: “One of the things that road patrol officers frequently do is call into dispatch and give the dispatcher the license plate numbers of a car they’ve stopped or a car that looks out of place for some reason, correct?” Colburn said yes. “And the dispatcher can get information about to whom a license plate is registered? … If the car is abandoned or there’s nobody in the car, the registration tells you who the owner presumably is?” More yeses from Colburn.

Then Strang played a recording in which Colburn read off a plate number and the dispatcher on the line told him it belonged to a missing person, Teresa Halbach. “ ’99 Toyota?” he asked in the recording. Strang then asked Colburn if he was looking at the plates at the time of the call—how else would he have the plate number, or if he did, what was he calling to check on? (Redditors continue to debate what else this could mean.) Colburn’s call to dispatch was recorded on Nov. 3, 2005, two days before the car was reported found in the Avery lot. Meaning that if Colburn wasn’t telling the truth, the timeline the police said the case adhered to was also untrue, also leaving time for the tampering they say wasn’t going on.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

Yeah, now that Rinna mentions that, it does seem to me that He (colburn) read the plate to dispatch, and it came back as belonging to Halbach.

Still, he could have been just reading it off a missing person report he had. I do agree that the way it was presented seemed very suspicious (but, much of what they presented did that)...as they never really played any answer or rebuttal to this.

I found this :

This is from a Slate Article....

What was the deal with the license plates?

When Sergeant Andrew Colburn was questioned by Steven Avery’s lawyers about calling in Teresa Halbach’s plates, it seemed like he may have been caught in a lie, but exactly what was going on was a little hard to parse. It was Episode 5, Colburn was on the stand, and defense attorney Dean Strang asked him about the basics of calling in license plates: “One of the things that road patrol officers frequently do is call into dispatch and give the dispatcher the license plate numbers of a car they’ve stopped or a car that looks out of place for some reason, correct?” Colburn said yes. “And the dispatcher can get information about to whom a license plate is registered? … If the car is abandoned or there’s nobody in the car, the registration tells you who the owner presumably is?” More yeses from Colburn.

Then Strang played a recording in which Colburn read off a plate number and the dispatcher on the line told him it belonged to a missing person, Teresa Halbach. “ ’99 Toyota?” he asked in the recording. Strang then asked Colburn if he was looking at the plates at the time of the call—how else would he have the plate number, or if he did, what was he calling to check on? (Redditors continue to debate what else this could mean.) Colburn’s call to dispatch was recorded on Nov. 3, 2005, two days before the car was reported found in the Avery lot. Meaning that if Colburn wasn’t telling the truth, the timeline the police said the case adhered to was also untrue, also leaving time for the tampering they say wasn’t going on.

Someone on Reddit mentioned that maybe he had several license plates written on a notebook that he had to watch out for as he patrolled and that maybe he got himself confused and that's why he called in hers? But someone else said that they work in law enforcement and cops don't travel around with notebooks like that. I don't know, maybe each police agency is different and each officer does things different?

• Like 1