Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Lights above Canberra 03/01/16

Dr.Brian

I did comment on 'Johnson Thompson's yt video. I was going to go easy... but I decided what the heck, so I peppered him with questions..

Hey, what can I say - I'm an annoying person, especially when dealing with people who make claims and then conveniently vanish...

To save you giving him more hits, here's my response:

'JOHNSON THOMPSON', why no comments or tech info on this video? Is it yours? If not where from? Did you add anything to the video? The sound doesn't seem to match the content.. Why posted in 'People & Blogs'? Why has no-one else mentioned seeing this that night - neither the effect or the very 'colourful' sky? What sort of camera was this (webcams don't usually do sound) and why were you filiming? Do you think it's way cool that the effect happened exactly dead centre of your field of view?

Do you intend participating in any way, or is this perhaps just an attempt at showing off your CG skilz? If so, you really need to work a bit harder - that would be easy..

Anyway, congratz on the 290K views. Perhaps not quite what you are after, but hey, good try. Pity that you don't actually communicate......

I shall notify UMers if there is a response..

• Like 3

Its Canberra's secret new teleporter technology ..... that was Bronwyn Bishop borrowing it for a quick jaunt to The Bagel Shop .

• Like 2

Thanks for the find Peter B.! Your link is broken but he is a working one

Be advised, annoying music included. I will admit I was fooled and thought it was a real weather event but ChrLzs and Dr. Brian nailed it so well done gents.
  • Like 2

I like the way this turned out - some lessons could (but won't) be learnt...

Credit goes to JT for not only fessing up, but also showing exactly what he did. I particularly like the comments that pointed out that the people at fault here are surely the idiotic news agencies, who just made a story out of this without doing even the most basic checks, namely:

- they didn't contact the video creator

- they didn't check if anyone else saw anything that night (eg other YT vid's or reports to police/weather bureau etc..)

It seems the current news reporting mantra is "It's on Youtube, so it really happened!".

And then they wonder why it goes viral...? What a stupid age we live in and what unbelievably lazy 'journalists'..

• Like 2

post-94179-0-40386500-1452483068_thumb.jCould it be the moon? This image was taken with a wide angle lens

If a tele lens was used to increase the moons size and the overexposed? Well I just read the image is a fake anyway.....

Edited by jules99

I like the way this turned out - some lessons could (but won't) be learnt...

Credit goes to JT for not only fessing up, but also showing exactly what he did. I particularly like the comments that pointed out that the people at fault here are surely the idiotic news agencies, who just made a story out of this without doing even the most basic checks, namely:

- they didn't contact the video creator

- they didn't check if anyone else saw anything that night (eg other YT vid's or reports to police/weather bureau etc..)

It seems the current news reporting mantra is "It's on Youtube, so it really happened!".

And then they wonder why it goes viral...? What a stupid age we live in and what unbelievably lazy 'journalists'..

That is exactly what is is - the journalism. Brad Tucker was asked to analyse a video, not determine the validity. And his best guess was ball lightning. But then again, if Greer had explained it from the get go, nobody would have believed it.

• Like 1

The amazing thing here is that the person fessed up. Lately these fake videos have just faded into the sunset leaving me and others very frustrated as to what or how. For a short while I felt very alone about my feelings with this video, but I saw many things not adding up. I don't like to take a hard stance on anything unless I feel the evidence is necessary to do so.

• Like 1

The amazing thing here is that the person fessed up. Lately these fake videos have just faded into the sunset leaving me and others very frustrated as to what or how. For a short while I felt very alone about my feelings with this video, but I saw many things not adding up. I don't like to take a hard stance on anything unless I feel the evidence is necessary to do so.

You were right, I was wrong, stick to your guns Brian. My weakness was that the author didn't seem to be promoting anything and wasn't really pushing the video and I have seen so many amazing things the last couple of years (Pluto, 67P, Curiosity, etc.) that I was willing to think maybe we were seeing some new weather phenomenon or more mundanely, a possible camera artifact, although ChrLzs settled that question pretty quickly for me. Good stuff sir!

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

You were right, I was wrong, stick to your guns Brian. My weakness was that the author didn't seem to be promoting anything and wasn't really pushing the video and I have seen so many amazing things the last couple of years (Pluto, 67P, Curiosity, etc.) that I was willing to think maybe we were seeing some new weather phenomenon or more mundanely, a possible camera artifact, although ChrLzs settled that question pretty quickly for me. Good stuff sir!

Yeah I was hoping for a new phenomena as well. I have read recently about the possibility of small aurora like appearances in the lower Atmosphere which could also be linked to UFO sightings, and wondered if this might be something like that.

Apparently not.

• Like 1

No problems - but heaven's above, don't think of it being a weakness! I really like seeing your posts - you have logic, insights and observations that often escape me - I thank you for your input!! And as is my mantra - I love being wrong (eg thinking the sky colour might just be over-saturation) - because that's usually when you learn the most new stuff..

Anyways - good thread - I think most of us learnt something here...

• Like 1

Learning something is NEVER a bad thing. Ever. Waspie flogs me regularly with how poorly thought out some of my hypotheses are but you can only get better by reaching and the floggings have lessened. Lot's of smart folks here that have taught me much and the day I get too old to learn you can bury my useless ****. Listening to brilliant people explain things will always, hopefully, be exhilarating to me as it only makes you better and opens new doors of wonder. We live in a golden age, folks, you just have to take advantage of it the right way

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the find Peter B.! Your link is broken but he is a working one

Be advised, annoying music included. I will admit I was fooled and thought it was a real weather event but ChrLzs and Dr. Brian nailed it so well done gents.

Hehe... told you it was CGI ;-)

Just listen to me in the future.