Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Starving People of Syria

Syria conflict: Siege warfare and suffering in Madaya

The men stopped and slowly, carefully unwrapped the blanket. At first, I could not make out what was inside. Then it suddenly dawned on me that it was an old man.

He was wearing a jumper and black tracksuit bottoms. His little stick legs dangled in the air. His mouth lolled open. His eyes stared into nothingness.

http://www.bbc.com/n...e-east-35455705

this is so hurtful ... seems like they are the forgotten ones

Edited by YA AMAR
  • Like 2

Hopefully, the recent ceasefire arranged by the UN and world powers will end the 5-year bloody war in Syria. But still not entirely safe for all the refugees to return home. I'm worried and concerned on the destruction of Christian minority cultures in Syria, including the Assyrian/Aramaic/Chaldean peoples who predate the Arab-Islamic conquest of the region. Interesting note, tens of millions of ethnic Syrians along with other Christian Arabs are dispersed worldwide, esp. in Europe, the Americas, Australia and they're found in parts of Africa and Asia. The largest Christian Arab communities, mostly Syrian and Lebanese are in Brazil, while the large Palestinian colony in Chile is the largest outside of Israel and Palestine (Gaza and west bank), and many Iraqis live in Chicago and Detroit in the US. The Syrian refugee flow goes to not only safer, more free and developed nations, they prefer to live in established diasporic Syrian and Arab communities.

• Like 1

How many of the women and children are those left behind by their husbands who left them there to flee to Europe? I say this because there has been an awful lot of single male "immigrants" who have said they have left their families behind. ....no one does that, do they? or are we allowing those with the money and criminal thugs to escape and forgetting those in real need had no chance of escaping in the first place.

This is an awful situation for those people. It is pretty tragic that the UN can not get to help these people

I agree. Somehow, help needs to get to those children. And I do think the men who up and deserted them should be sent back to help defend their families instead of waiting for someone else to do it all. Just a bad situation all around.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Did you follow and READ that link, Likely? It clearly shows who is in need in Germany today. This is NOT a few misfits, it's a seismic displacement of cultures being FORCED into a single living space. Care to bet on how it turns out?

NO, I DIDN'T read the link because WHAT does a 20 year old Somali migrant rapist IN EUROPE have to do with starving Syrians in a warzone IN SYRIA?

The only commonality is that they're, hey you know, MUSLIMS.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

NO, I DIDN'T read the link because WHAT does a 20 year old Somali migrant rapist IN EUROPE have to do with starving Syrians in a warzone IN SYRIA?

The only commonality is that they're, hey you know, MUSLIMS.

Don't be tiresome. These conversations range all over the place and my post was in response to your rejection of the validity of the issues happening in Europe now precisely because of the Syrian situation. There is no help for those starving Syrians until the power brokers decide to make a deal. No one seems inclined to do that just now and I think we will be lucky if a wider war does not flare up. If that happens then there will be starving people all over Europe as well. It all gets back to a weak, irresolute and misguided ideologue US president. The world better hold it's breath for the next 11 months.

It all gets back to a weak, irresolute and misguided ideologue US president. The world better hold it's breath for the next 11 months.

Whoever is arming the rebels & terrorists is responsible for the current situation. The civil war in Syria could have ended years ago were it not for foreign interference. I am curious what your personal model of a ''strong leader'' would have done, remove Assad and put Islamists in power? Way to go man!

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 3

Whoever is arming the rebels & terrorists is responsible for the current situation. The civil war in Syria could have ended years ago were it not for foreign interference. I am curious what your personal model of a ''strong leader'' would have done, remove Assad and put Islamists in power? Way to go man!

i agree -

It's so hypocritical of America / Britain etc to start hand wringing over the deaths of civilians and the misery of displaced people NOW -

because if '''we''' had kept out of it all from the beginning millions of Syrians would still have a peaceful and prosperous country to live in -

the insurgency would have been dealt with and it would have been business as usual -

Another name for the so-called moderate rebels who did originally come from Syria and who probably worked with the West from the beginning ---

Traitors

if it wasn't for them, heading the theatrics, we wouldn't see the death and destruction we do now ---

And as I have said on a couple of other threads - I now think the whole Iraq / Libya / Syria destabilizing and destruction is a long planned secret deal to help create a Sunni Super State --- and the West's involvement was all part of the never ending America v, Russia power struggle -

I would even go as far to say that Russia getting involved in trying to save Syria from ISIS / Saudi Arabia / Turkey et al ---

Isn't just saving Syria (via the Assad regime?) but is saving Europe ....a few decades down the line -

It's a joke listening to our hypocritical politicians trying to turn the public against Russia --- when ---in Europe anyway -- Russia is probably saving their sorry backsides as well as Assad and Syria ----

A Europe with an Islamic Sunni Super State - (fully armed with dreams of global domination) - on it's doorstep and it's countries being flooded with muslim refugees and migrants - adding to the tens of millions who already live here -

It doesn't take much imagination to see what that would lead to - (is leading to?)

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

Do you think that such chaos would not have occurred decades ago had it not been kept under control? The Sunni Shia divide is centuries old and yes, American actions in Iraq destabilized and roiled it to a point where it could flare. There was a certain speech in Cairo some years ago that had just as much to do with pouring fuel on the fire though. As to power plays and back room deals over pipe lines and such, I have no idea and haven't seen any undisputed proof so I'll leave such conjectures to you. The bottom line is that we're facing a mess in Syria that could cause us to stumble into WWIII. Putin won't be backed down because for him to be humbled would end his power and maybe his life. Obama has shown weakness at every turn in his dealings with Iran, Russia, Assad... why should anyone believe he would stand his ground now? THAT is the danger. If he tries it now then Putin could get pushed to the wall and go nuclear. He has already stated a doctrine of using nuclear weapons, even in conventional conflicts.

Obama has shown weakness at every turn in his dealings with Iran, Russia, Assad... why should anyone believe he would stand his ground now? THAT is the danger. If he tries it now then Putin could get pushed to the wall and go nuclear. He has already stated a doctrine of using nuclear weapons, even in conventional conflicts.

Obama should let Russia and Iran deal with Syria. It's the interference of the West and it's Gulf allies arming rebel groups that created this mess. There's only one rational thing to do and it's to prop up the Syrian regime and a secular President to defeat the terrorists wreaking havoc in that country. So again what would your hypothetical ''strong leader'' have done differently that does not strenghten the Islamic fundamentalists in these parts of the world?

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 1

Obama should let Russia and Iran deal with Syria. It's the interference of the West and it's Gulf allies arming rebel groups that created this mess. There's only one rational thing to do and it's to prop up the Syrian regime and a secular President to defeat the terrorists wreaking havoc in that country. So again what would your hypothetical ''strong leader'' have done differently that does not strenghten the Islamic fundamentalists in these parts of the world?

The threat of intervention or at least pressuring Russia not to build bases in Syria would have been better for the region in the long run. There is no answer to the Shia Sunni divide but reeking of weakness is only an invitation to worse adventures. That can clearly be seen now. If everyone just gets out of the way and allows Russia to bomb what's left of the country into submission, how is that going to make things peaceful again? Seriously, as long as S.A and the Gulf states (Sunni) are willing to spend blood and treasure to remove Assad, there is no answer.
  • Like 2

The threat of intervention or at least pressuring Russia not to build bases in Syria would have been better for the region in the long run. There is no answer to the Shia Sunni divide but reeking of weakness is only an invitation to worse adventures. That can clearly be seen now. If everyone just gets out of the way and allows Russia to bomb what's left of the country into submission, how is that going to make things peaceful again? Seriously, as long as S.A and the Gulf states (Sunni) are willing to spend blood and treasure to remove Assad, there is no answer.

I agree, that's not an answer. I wish I had a simple one though.

Edit: Russia has long held a naval base in Syria. Nothing new.

Edited by Likely Guy

The threat of intervention or at least pressuring Russia not to build bases in Syria would have been better for the region in the long run.

[...]

If everyone just gets out of the way and allows Russia to bomb what's left of the country into submission, how is that going to make things peaceful again?

Russia has had a long-time relationship with Syria dating as far back as the Soviet Union. I don't see Russia as the 'aggressor' here (bombing the country into submission) when they are in fact assisting the Syrian Army driving back terrorist elements and restoring much-needed order in some parts of the country.

Seriously, as long as S.A and the Gulf states (Sunni) are willing to spend blood and treasure to remove Assad, there is no answer.

Turkey and SA are being exposed. Tension is rising because their supply lines to the Islamist groups are getting cut by Russia. It had to be done. Cut the shipping of armaments and funding to ISIS and al-Qaeda offshoots in Syria and eventually they will be degraded. That's the only responsible thing to do.

Edited by EEHC

Russia has had a long-time relationship with Syria dating as far back as the Soviet Union. I don't see Russia as the 'aggressor' here (bombing the country into submission) when they are in fact assisting the Syrian Army driving back terrorist elements and restoring much-needed order in some parts of the country.

Turkey and SA are being exposed. Tension is rising because their supply lines to the Islamist groups are getting cut by Russia. It had to be done. Cut the shipping of armaments and funding to ISIS and al-Qaeda offshoots in Syria and eventually they will be degraded. That's the only responsible thing to do.

****, Russia just bombed a MSF hospital (maybe three and a school). There are no good guys wearing white hats.

• Like 1

****, Russia just bombed a MSF hospital (maybe three and a school). There are no good guys wearing white hats.

There are some reports that US A-10s were involved. It seems Russia and the US are trading accusations. Either way it's very bad. War is very bad.

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 2

****, Russia just bombed a MSF hospital (maybe three and a school).

and you know this for a FACT...do you..?

no possibility that it was done by ---- Turkey? --- or America...?...and pinned on Russia..?

no coincidence that it happened when the war of words is hotting up and as the Syrian Army working with Russian Airforce are making real progress ..?

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

and you know this for a FACT...do you..?

no possibility that it was done by ---- Turkey? --- or America...?...and pinned on Russia..?

no coincidence that it happened when the war of words is hotting up and as the Syrian Army working with Russian Airforce are making real progress ..?

Well, if thats the case, then either "super-duper" S-400 is just a pile of junk, or Russkies once again show no balls and only capable to brainfart threats left and right...

Well, if thats the case, then either "super-duper" S-400 is just a pile of junk, or Russkies once again show no balls and only capable to brainfart threats left and right...

and what super-duper S-400 are you talking about?

and what super-duper S-400 are you talking about?

This one (I'm using Russia Today link for a reason, to avoid "BBC/CNN/etc are Obama's shills" and similar).

Edit to add fun OT bit: Russian students released video with requests to put Obama on trial for (beside many things)... Wait for it... For bombing Yugoslavia :w00t:

Edited by bmk1245

This one (I'm using Russia Today link for a reason, to avoid "BBC/CNN/etc are Obama's shills" and similar).

ooookaaaay --- nothing to do with the bombing of the hospital then ----

ooookaaaay --- nothing to do with the bombing of the hospital then ----

Given record of Russkie's lies, good chance their bombs destroyed hospital, not Turkish, or American.
  • Like 1

Given record of Russkie's lies, good chance their bombs destroyed hospital, not Turkish, or American.

ok that's your opinion - mine is that there is more than a very good chance it wasn't Russia that bombed the hospital -

they have always said they use precision bombing and because they have the Syrian Army on the ground and those

who support the Syrian Army on the ground - they have better 'intelligence' coming in for positions to bomb and those to avoid..

also as they are being accused of killing lots of citizens on Western TV - for propaganda purposes -

I think they would be more careful with getting the right targets --

I think it could have been Turkey -- who might have done it deliberately to try and blame Russia -

or America did it accidently maybe -

• Like 2

ok that's your opinion - mine is that there is more than a very good chance it wasn't Russia that bombed the hospital -

they have always said they use precision bombing and because they have the Syrian Army on the ground and those

who support the Syrian Army on the ground - they have better 'intelligence' coming in for positions to bomb and those to avoid..

also as they are being accused of killing lots of citizens on Western TV - for propaganda purposes -

I think they would be more careful with getting the right targets --

I think it could have been Turkey -- who might have done it deliberately to try and blame Russia -

or America did it accidently maybe -

Thing is, when US hit hospital in Afghanistan, US admitted it, not right away, nevertheless.

If you implying Turks did it, then, again, either Russian air defense system S-400 is a total crap (not a case, least possible), either Russkies just parading their peacock feathers, while recoloring their pants in brown over Turkish AF...

Thing is, when US hit hospital in Afghanistan, US admitted it, not right away, nevertheless.

If you implying Turks did it, then, again, either Russian air defense system S-400 is a total crap (not a case, least possible), either Russkies just parading their peacock feathers, while recoloring their pants in brown over Turkish AF...

are you suggesting that Russia should be blasting everything out of the sky over Syria - and if they don't their defense system is crap --

please -------never become a military strategist.... :P

are you suggesting that Russia should be blasting everything out of the sky over Syria - and if they don't their defense system is crap --

please -------never become a military strategist.... :P

Bee, Russians promised to take down any Turkish warplane entering Syria. So far, none. What does it tell us? It wasn't Turks. US? Might be. Blindly bombing area? Might be. And if the case, I expect US admitting that. Yes, you can call me a moron, who trusts US over Russia.

Edit: ah... bit to add...

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 1