Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what can we do about the immigrant inflow?

alibongo

What? Okay, I'll try and make sense of that.

"A bigger scourge on the world?"

If that's what you meant to say, yes Islamic extremism is a current problem, but resorting to the mistakes of the past (i.e.: Japanese internment camps) as a solution isn't the way to go. You will teach young Muslim refugees (children) that they are considered as outcasts and they will more probably grow up to become an extremist.

They hate us anyway, and couldn't hate us anymore that they already do. What's to lose?

• Like 1

How about taking fear out of the discussion and be a little more logical. More women and children are killed by people they know than terrorists have killed. More children are killed by firearm discharge from other children every year in the US than were killed in the Paris attack. Is it the random nature of terrorism that is frightening? How about having your family wiped out by a drunk driver, isn't that pretty random and unjust? More people are killed by drunk drivers every year than terrorists have ever killed. For that matter, more people die in hospitals every year due to medical mistakes than drunk drivers kill. Hows that for a preying on the trusting and weak?

We live life surrounded by one another; those we can trust and those we can't. Life goes on if we embrace it. There is happiness and joy and accomplishment in it; there is the ability to do good.

So what is the problem and what is the opportunity? There are people that need to be housed, fed, and clothed. What can they offer in exchange for those items? Some of them are doctors, engineers, and trained professionals. Countless small towns in America lack adequate medical staff. Maybe there is a fit. Other countries have needs as well. We in the west live in a free market consumer society. If a refugee has the money to pay for groceries, clothes, or toys you can bet the merchants will be glad to exchange it. Not to gloss it over, there are a lot more problems with refugees and our society. Most of them are probably uneducated, restive, disgruntled youth. Familiar yes? How do we deal with our own restive uneducated youth? Not very well. Maybe its a similar problem that needs to be solved.

We have a resource of mammalian, primate, human brain riding on top of our reptile brain. If all that we engage is the reptile portion that triggers fear, we are not using all of our abilities. If you are content to live like that, you might be just as happy living as an iguana.

You just watched that documentary on the reptilian portions of the human brain..hahhahahaha...i saw it too. Was that on Discovery I think?

Interesting, but overly simplistic. This isn't a biological problem. It's a sociological problem.

I'm just curious, since you seem to have no trepidation about an attack occurring near yourself or loved ones, Where do you live? Generally speaking of course?

• Like 1

They hate us anyway, and couldn't hate us anymore that they already do. What's to lose?

Lives... a lot of lives.

Contrary to some people's belief the vast majority of the world's 1.6 Billion Muslim people don't hate or resent us. If we round up our resident Muslim populations and put them in internment camps and bar Muslims from entering our borders they will come to hate and resent us.

That's what we have to lose.

Lives... a lot of lives.

Contrary to some people's belief the vast majority of the world's 1.6 Billion Muslim people don't hate or resent us. If we round up our resident Muslim populations and put them in internment camps and bar Muslims from entering our borders they will come to hate and resent us.

That's what we have to lose.

We went from more precise controls and vetting in Muslim immigration, to rounding up all the Muslims and putting them in internment camps?

Perhaps I misread, because I find that to be silly.

I think it's becoming so bizarre that our merits as a society are governed by what foreign citizens think of our immigration process. How presumptuous of them if that's the case! As if we don't have the right to vet, and screen to whatever extent we'd like in the protection of our citizens. Especially when we have specific threats of infiltration from those pushing the very immigrants across our borders. I mean how ridiculous has it become that we can't take every measure possible to protect our citizens, because of how we might affect the "muslim world." Ridiculous!

Meanwhile don't worry about those Iraqis that were just arrested for plotting terror, or the Tsarnaevs, or Malik, or Paris, or Cologne. Make sure to say all the right things, and don't improve our process, because those Muslims around the world might be offended and begin to dislike us.

Edited by Rawbone
  • Like 1

We went from more precise controls and vetting in Muslim immigration, to rounding up all the Muslims and putting them in internment camps?

Me too, that was in reference to an earlier part of the thread. Docyabut's solution I believe. Pardon me.

Edited by Likely Guy

It's true. You can never vet the refugee/migrant/immigrant population 100%.

Is the only safe answer to become truely xenophobic and build walls along borders and disallow certain people from crossing those borders.

God forbid that I can now imagine a day in my lifetime that I'd be banned travel in North America, but I can see it happening.

You just watched that documentary on the reptilian portions of the human brain..hahhahahaha...i saw it too. Was that on Discovery I think?

Interesting, but overly simplistic. This isn't a biological problem. It's a sociological problem.

I'm just curious, since you seem to have no trepidation about an attack occurring near yourself or loved ones, Where do you live? Generally speaking of course?

In general terms, I work in a small town in Oregon close enough to drive over and visit Ammon Bundy if I had a mind. You are right that it is a sociological problem hence my comment to use more than the reptilian brain. I don't get the discovery channel, but I drive about 3 hours a day so I listen to a lot of books on CD from the library. As a side note Rawbone, how much do you think sociology is tied to biology? You are incorrect that I have no trepidation about attacks occurring near my loved ones.It is a concern for me. My nephews go to a community college in southern Oregon, another campus than the shooter picked, but close enough. My son goes to a state university, will it be next? Will some disgruntled basement dwelling hermit show up and blow a class away because he flunked out? I cannot stand as an armed guard over all of my relatives, nor can I tell them to stay home and not go out. That being said, I have considered what I might do if my wife or my children are killed. I know this kind of violence can happen, but I don't want to panic and lose my judgement or stop living. I will try to live in a good way as long as I can. Rawbone, you use an avatar of a plains warrior in an eagle bonnet, does it mean anything to you?

I am all for vetting immigrants, we probably should have done a better job in the past. At the same time, I am not against accepting some refugees. I grew up redneck. I am not proud of everything I did or said or thought so I understand when people say, "I just don't like foreigners or people of color, or people of different religions, I don't want outsiders settling in my community or strangers moving in next to me." I can't argue with what you like or don't. Is that what is really at the root of this, our dislike for the different? . I think equating immigrants to terrorists is too simplistic. The social problems are larger than terrorism. Where do you put a million peaceable people, how do you feed and shelter them? That is something we should be talking about. I think the problem will become larger in the future. Terrorism needs to be handled, but it is smaller than the sum of social issues rocking our societies.

What do you do with a million Gulf Coasters if another hurricane decimates Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, or Florida? What do you do with a million Californians after another three or four years of drought?

Likely Guy, I hope your travel is not restricted. If I surround myself with Canadians, statistically I have less chance of experiencing violence than if I surround myself with Americans. That's kind of sad isn't it.

Well, enough from small town Oregon. Regards.

• Like 2

I think it's becoming so bizarre that our merits as a society are governed by what foreign citizens think of our immigration process. How presumptuous of them if that's the case! As if we don't have the right to vet, and screen to whatever extent we'd like in the protection of our citizens. Especially when we have specific threats of infiltration from those pushing the very immigrants across our borders. I mean how ridiculous has it become that we can't take every measure possible to protect our citizens, because of how we might affect the "muslim world." Ridiculous!

Meanwhile don't worry about those Iraqis that were just arrested for plotting terror, or the Tsarnaevs, or Malik, or Paris, or Cologne. Make sure to say all the right things, and don't improve our process, because those Muslims around the world might be offended and begin to dislike us.

:clap: PC is making what was the most powerful nation on earth a gelding. I really believe that as a nation our citizens have become deluded into believing they/we are untouchable. That America is somehow unable to be defeated and therefore we must hold hands with the world even while many in that world are also holding knives. It's becoming surreal. :ph34r:
  • Like 1

There is something insidious in the UK- history is being written (shades of 1984):

The history GCSE text books (which are set books for 15year olds' exams) have been re-written. Whatever period of history they refer to, they now have to have to state in the Introduction "the first settlers in Britain were North Africans". This actually refers to a Roman Legion who briefly were stationed in Britain, before the Anglo-Saxons invaded and formed the English nation. They also have to say:"in the Middle Ages one in fifty of the population was an immigrant".

Both of these assertions are challenged by academic historians.

All European counties were subject to an ebb and flow of peoples as various empires flourished or expired.

The fact that some Roman troops were of North African origin while they were stationed in Ancient Britain for some months in AD 200 does not make them the first settlers (it would make more sense on that basis to claim the first settlers were Italians!)

And it is hard to justify calling ancient invaders like the Vikings or the Anglo-Saxons , "immigrants".

It is of course a blatant attempt to brainwash children, and an attempt to revise history to suit the politically correct.

More here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3393189/Plans-teach-GCSE-pupils-Africans-came-Britain-English-branded-pro-immigration-propaganda-critics.html

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

There is something insidious in the UK- history is being written (shades of 1984):

The history GCSE text books (which are set books for 15year olds' exams) have been re-written. Whatever period of history they refer to, they now have to have to state in the Introduction "the first settlers in Britain were North Africans". This actually refers to a Roman Legion who briefly were stationed in Britain, before the Anglo-Saxons invaded and formed the English nation. They also have to say:"in the Middle Ages one in fifty of the population was an immigrant".

Both of these assertions are challenged by academic historians.

All European counties were subject to an ebb and flow of peoples as various empires flourished or expired.

The fact that some Roman troops were of North African origin while they were stationed in Ancient Britain for some months in AD 200 does not make them the first settlers (it would make more sense on that basis to claim the first settlers were Italians!)

And it is hard to justify calling ancient invaders like the Vikings or the Anglo-Saxons , "immigrants".

It is of course a blatant attempt to brainwash children, and an attempt to revise history to suit the politically correct.

More here: http://www.dailymail...da-critics.html

Modern Britain is run by Marxists nowadays who hate Britain (particularly England), her history, her white males and everything she stands for. Many of these people post right here on this very discussion forum, as I'm sure you've no doubt noticed.

Brainwashing children into believing a completely fabricated history rather than the REAL, ACTUAL history - or 'white male-dominated’ view of history, as these people call it - which states that Africans arrived in Britain before the English, which is, of course, completely and utterly false, is nothing short of a disgrace. But, I'm afraid these are the people that modern Britain is run by.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Marxism failed in many other countries - such as the USSR - so it'll fail here too.

Edited by Black Monk

There is some truth to that story, Roman Legions did use foreign fighters or meceneries.

There is some truth to that story, Roman Legions did use foreign fighters or meceneries.

That story is true. There was indeed a North African legion stationed in Britain. However, being stationed there for only a few month, it hardly qualifies for saying they inhabited or populated Britain.

They're trying to flee a civil war. We should leave them in third world refugee camps? Great plan.

Yes now your getting it. We created this crap storm. In the ME and parts of Africa when you remove the dictator it;s akin to firing all zoo employess and letting the animals run wild, hence the issue Europe has now. Gaddafi said the exact same thing and we were warned this was a planned attack !!! Immigration crisis my ass.

Yes now your getting it. We created this crap storm. In the ME and parts of Africa when you remove the dictator it;s akin to firing all zoo employess and letting the animals run wild, hence the issue Europe has now. Gaddafi said the exact same thing and we were warned this was a planned attack !!! Immigration crisis my ass.

1) I got it from before,

2) Can't argue much against that, except 'we helped' to create this crap storm.

3) Pretty much.

4) Any links for that assertion? I'd be interested.

5) That's complete BS, there is a crisis. What? People in refugee camps in the Middle East are just 'peachy keen' then? And the ones that haven't fled from Syria yet are doing just fine?

Edited by Likely Guy

It is a crisis, so again your catching on :tu:

I could link hundreds of clips of how this humanitarian aid we are given is for naught and could very well be the end of the west. Head in the sand gives me a reason to kick your ass. This imigrant bs will and was planned to bring the west down. Look up how this so called crisis will bankrupt Europe.

Everything I post can be fact checked.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Immigration to another country is a privilege not a right. I think extreme care should be involved in deciding who we should allow into our countries.

Lots of people apparently think it is a right of illegal aliens to invade America, they think it is a right for refugees should be immediately brought into America as well. American citizens want to keep illegal aliens and refugees out of America, they get condemned for wanting this. People will condemn America citizens for wanting the exact same thing they want, then shut their mouths when their government does it as well. In my honest opinion, people from different nations just want to see America fall, regardless of what the consequences will be and how it will effect them in return. I been trying to talk sense into people for years, I am about to throw my hands up and say to the hell with it.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 3

Lots of people apparently think it is a right of illegal aliens to invade America, they think it is a right for refugees should be immediately brought into America as well. American citizens want to keep illegal aliens and refugees out of America, they get condemned for wanting this. People will condemn America citizens for wanting the exact same thing they want, then shut their mouths when their government does it as well. In my honest opinion, people from different nations just want to see America fall, regardless of what the consequences will be and how it will effect them in return. I been trying to talk sense into people for years, I am about to throw my hands up and say to the hell with it.

I cant even.

Educate the British public. Put an end to the myths about immigrants. People so quickly forget that Britain has a long history of succesful immigration and intergration.It is what has made our country so multicultural.