Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does famous Nessie video show giant eels ?

UM-Bot

A new analysis of a video taken 8 years ago has suggested an alternative explanation for the sighting.

The footage made headlines back in 2007 when Gordon Holmes, a former university technician from Shipley in West Yorkshire, stopped at the side of the road to record what appeared to be a large black creature swimming through the waters of Scotland's enigmatic loch.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...show-giant-eels

• Like 3

It looks like one of those giant snakes you see on wildlife programmes, except the adder is the only snake native to Scotland.

The adder - our only snake

The adder is probably our most notorious reptile and the only snake you are likely to see in Scotland. Although grass snakes have occasionally been reported, there is no evidence to confirm that they live here permanently

http://www.snh.gov.u...tiles/reptiles/

Well, it's a much better explanation than it being thirty to forty five foot Elasmosaurus leftover from the late Cretaceous, is it not?

Come to think of it, pretty much any explanation is better than that one.

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Giant eels have been a possible explanation for a number of decades, I thought. I remember reading about such things when I was a child. An undiscovered species of bottom-dwelling large eel is entirely possible to be living in Loch Ness, if they only rarely come to the surface.

• Like 3

With the alternatives being too fanciful for a colony of creatures to survive with the sparse food supply in the loch....... I've always felt that the legends of sea monsters or dragons, would be more likely giant worms,sea slugs,eels or leeches.

• Like 1

Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay.

• Like 1

Isn't the point of studying cryptids to actually identify or debunk the creature? Not just perpetuate a myth for the sake of it?

• Like 1

always liked the "giant" eel theory. Has the new "analysed" footage been released yet? ....eelsquatch?

• Like 1

indeed ! it keeps the romance of an unkown cryptid alive without it having to be a preposterous dinosaur

It certainly is something but it just does not swim like an eel, or the smaller versions that I have seen. Then again it was a long way off and not the best quality. I wish something would be found in the loch, maybe a plesiosaur, an extinct whale ...you know something sexy...but I have given up hope on the loch. No doubt there are some big eels there, but it's my humble opinion that's all. Nevertheless, I will keep watching and hoping something new turns up in this world ..never seen before.

seax :tu:

Most likely a European Conger eel. The inhabit the North Atlantic and since the river Ness empties into the ocean, they probably swam upstream to the Loch and decided to stay.

That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs.

nessie.jpg

• Like 2

That does not explain the not so Eel-like Nessie souvenirs.

nessie.jpg

Much cuter than a eel for sure.

• Like 1

That film is such a mess, it could have been a personal watercraft for all I could tell.

Someone did catch a very large eel in loch ness? It was a documentry on Animal planet years ago

From what I can remember as a kid walking along the beach, eels have very noticeable skeletons that wash ashore.

It empties via several well-populated locks in the canal into the North Sea. Plus I think congers are strictly salt water. There are very few fish that can actually cope with the transition as they have to alter their physiology in order to do it.

I wonder what the pike are like in the loch? Betting there are some heroically collossal specimens!

The thing to remember is that no matter how mad the living dinosaur theory is... it's still infinitely more plausible than Doc Shiels' fresh water "Elephant Squid"...

Edited by Urisk