Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Chimeras' used to supply transplant organs

UM-Bot

Scientists have been creating human-animal hybrids to help meet the growing demand for donor organs.

With transplant patients often having to wait years for organs, scientists have been looking for increasingly unorthodox ways to try and meet the ever-growing demand.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/290382/chimeras-used-to-supply-transplant-organs

• Like 2

He added: "The specter of a intelligent mouse stuck in a laboratory somewhere screaming 'I want to get out' would be very troubling to people."

Ok, I get that. But to me it's more troubling for a human stuck years on an uncertain waiting list of standard human organ donations.

• Like 2

He added: "The specter of a intelligent mouse stuck in a laboratory somewhere screaming 'I want to get out' would be very troubling to people."

Ok, I get that. But to me it's more troubling for a human stuck years on an uncertain waiting list of standard human organ donations.

WOW... man... really, Pallidin? First I'll say I don't believe that a soul would be placed in such a creature BUT, crossing humans with any other species seems extremely dangerous to me. If animal genes are placed into a human what's to say that the diseases those animals are susceptible to would not become a human problem? Imagine a pandemic that we can't begin to find a cure for before it burns through the population. Scary stuff and it just seems immoral to me. If I was dying for lack of a heart or kidney I might change my mind but I really don't think I could. OTOH if my child was dying and such transplants could help it would be an agonizing choice.
  • Like 1

This is immoral, from the human and animal perspective.

• Like 2

I think this is a wonderful idea. Screw the paranoia that this might cause some. Everyone'll complain about how wrong it is until they need a liver or a lung.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5

I personally know teenagers who are dying because their organs are failing,because it is my career to care for them. Stupid comments about this subject are repugnant,no one is immune from organ failure.

Autoimmune diseases, viruses, bacterial infections, come out of the blue. We should all support research. We will never know. They only good thing we can do in our lives is to help others.

• Like 1

As a kidney transplant recipient, I can tell you wholeheartedly and without hesitation that I would want any and all testing that could help alleviate the organ shortage. I waited four agonizing years on a waiting list. Dialysis made me so sick that some days I didn't want to get out of bed. If I could have a viable organ harvested from an animal, ultimately with my DNA to avoid possible rejection, I say do it. Find a way. It is immoral to allow people to languish on the precipice of death with no quality of life when scientific study on animals could eliminate the problem.

• Like 7

I think this is a wonderful idea. Screw the paranoia that this might cause some. Everyone'll complain about how wrong it is until they need a liver or a lung.

A transplant is a serious surgery. I have been on the waiting list for an organ for over nine years/ Just recently I had myself removed as my heart would probably not survive the surgery. i have had friends die while waiting and some died after a transplant due to rejection or infections etc. Its more complicated than just receiving a donor organ and many factors should be considered. There are no guarantees in life but I think more research is needed. I have always had misgivings about having a donor organ either from a living donor or a cadaver and even more so about animal donors

• Like 2

:yes:

That's what playing God is for!!!!

LINK - A Patient's Guide to Heart Surgery - Heart Valve Surgery

Biological (tissue) valves are taken from pig, cow, or human donors. These valves don't last as long as mechanical valves. But when tissue valves are used, long-term use of an anticoagulant often isn't needed.

My father had a pig heart valve put in late in life, it gave me 20 years with him. I love modern medicine.

Now, where's my hoverboard...........

They bombarded us with long articles about the Hadron Collider

Trying to find the God particle

And everybody's arguing about whether or not to clone people

Or keep it to farm yard animals, ****

Double 'em up, triple 'em

**** the discipline

Grab a bunch of rabbits and slap all the lipstick on 'em you want

Yeah, maybe high heels to match

That's what playing God is for

Hoverboard

LINK

• Like 2

People want to harp on how genetic manipulation is bad. Yes we need to test and test and test to get it right. Yes there will be mistakes. I can see a future where we've created a better us. Where children develop in artificial wombs to prevent external contamination. Even replacement organs grown through some other weird science. We are agents of evolution. It is by our hands that we change the world.

• Like 2

i feel this could be a great addition to the medical community but i don't know what the religious folk would think about this.

• Like 1

I own a precious dog, for some years now. She is a bright light in my life.

However, if for some reason her life was necessary to be sacrificed or altered in some way in order to save the life of a human... even a total stranger... my compassion and love for humans must take priority.

Would I be sad? Of course. But only sad for my precious dog.

I would be greatly joyed that a human life was "saved"

Like they said, they haven't tried it yet, so they don't really know what they will get. I think they should try it and see what happens. I think it is worth the risk.

Pallidin, if your life depended on me sacrificing my dog, sorry about your luck, that is not going to happen.

• Like 1

Like they said, they haven't tried it yet, so they don't really know what they will get. I think they should try it and see what happens. I think it is worth the risk.

Pallidin, if your life depended on me sacrificing my dog, sorry about your luck, that is not going to happen.

I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog.

Edited by pallidin

People want to harp on how genetic manipulation is bad. Yes we need to test and test and test to get it right. Yes there will be mistakes. I can see a future where we've created a better us. Where children develop in artificial wombs to prevent external contamination. Even replacement organs grown through some other weird science. We are agents of evolution. It is by our hands that we change the world.

I agree, the trap, and argument will be eugenics. It's going to keep rearing it's ugly head as it was atrocious. It has put a huge dent in progress, people misusing breeding principles to create a stronger faster smarter huhman, and many "rejected" killed for the sake of the gene pool.

This is where as Summerin1905 mentions, relgion will also step in. As it is, religions and ignorant people (and?) blame Darwin for Eugenics, when he had absolutely nothing to do with it. It actually horrified me to see how widespread this complete misconception is. Man had been cross breeding for years and using selection to attain certain traits, Darwin realised that Nature can take the role of breeder, that is all, which is no connection whatsoever. It pains me to see such ignorance being peddled by people who should know better.

I feel that your life is much more important than the life of my dog.

I'd like you post, but apparently we suddenly have a short quote on likes? I gave out about 5, and started getting no more positive vote messages.

Very noble and decent of you. I love my Dogs like kids too, my Betty is nearing 5 now, with luck, she might get another 5 or 6 years yet. Maybe 8, who knows. A human lives for like 80 years. You would be extending a life dramatically. And I feel that is noble of you. It would be a difficult and painful decision, but one that would have far reaching consequences.

• Like 1

i feel this could be a great addition to the medical community but i don't know what the religious folk would think about this.

Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

Religious folk suicide people to death, another 10 in Istanbul today with 25 injured, so they can F.... off. Religious people are moronic, superstitious, f..kwits who do not think, cannot think, because they are too stupid, so they can stuff their opinions up their medieval orifices

Please, don't hold back your feelings... :w00t:

Edited by pallidin