Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
jamie6747

Where do we go when we die?

312 posts in this topic

psyche101

i .....did not come on this earth to just rot in the Mud .

i......did not go through all this hurt and pain for nothing

i......did not try to be good '' most '' of my life just to be '' dead '' dead

i......will go to heaven , regardless if not i will create my own heaven

i.....will not take no for an answer

i......am going somewhere

khan.gif

Why? Do you feel someone "owes" you something?

• Like 6

XenoFish

Why? Do you feel someone "owes" you something?

I think such a thing is a produce of entitlement. Most religious individual think they've earned something. Making this life worth living. If I'm a good boy/girl god will take me to heaven. Kinda sad really if you think about such a mindset. You end up living your life doing all these good things but forever seeking a selfish reward.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

Imaginarynumber1

You are a believer as well, since you believe or just assume that there can be nothing after physical death.

Who knows, you might be the one who will be proven wrong. ;)

I think you misunderstand what being a believer means. I follow the evidence. There is no evidence of an after life. Period.

• Like 4

first of all , i dont know where i will be and only god knows that and decides . But it's still my right to believe that there is a afterlife and i believe is more real than this life .

Just as you ,whom ever you might be , feel sorry for what i believe ...i feel the same way about '' you '' too .

Nobody owe me anything but i can only pray i be one of them to get to the other side ...

:yes:

• Like 1

psyche101

While I appreciate and respect your thoughts regarding death, I have to have more than that. I have a deep sense of knowing that there's more to 'life' than we live and die. Not only do I have a God that has promised me eternal life but I have a grasp of physics that tells me energy (yes, we're energy) never dies. I do believe ONE of the reasons we live is to reproduce and hopefully evolve into better humans but I don't believe that's the only reason.

God promised you eternal life, or someone said God did?

WIth all due respect, whilst your insights comfort you, they simply confuse others, if you could share this "knowing" people could see it in a different light, but from this angle it just seems to be ego, sorry, there is no nice way to put that and I realise that, and I am not intending to come down on you, but there are a lot of people who are influenced by such notions only to be let down, which can lead to depression and worse. I know people who are easily influenced and I would not like to see them waste a life on some fanciful idea. When you make a claim, you should be able to offer more than some mystical inner knowing as proof, as what science can offer to the rest of us have well transcends that in the way of logical deduction via evidence and observation. Because it has this work behind it, it deserves to be heard over one's personal conclusion based on what seems to be a wish list. You can believe that, and more power to you, I am not here to dent your faith, but I do wish to see the very best evidence and current understandings take precedence over superstition and gut feelings.

Lets face it and be honest, relgion gave you this notion. Many fear mentioning that because deep down you know the Bible is flawed and relgion, whilst it works for you is hurting many people at the same time, and science has well transcended it, giving us the answers where relgion gave us fanciful tall tales. A lifetime of indoctrination is a very hard thing to challenge, not all of us are up to it at this point in time.

The next generation has a much better chance of picking up what I am putting down.

• Like 4

Bendy Demon

Energy hanging on to information for any length of time? Science doesn't have a clue, but you, me, and every other human does it every day. By energy, I am referring to 'particles' (or waves) of sub-atomic energy that create 'matter'.

Sorry but that really doesn't fly too well with me. Making a broad, sweeping statement about how we "do it every day" doesn't mean anything..perhaps an example would help.

See...to me information is like a raft on the water; it cannot go anywhere on water that is stagnant, it just sits there then eventually dissipates (rots) but once you set it in a river with a constant current then it will go.

Just because scientist don't have a clear picture or a firm enough extrapolation doesn't mean that it is open to any interpretation where "anything goes".

• Like 3

XenoFish

I don't care what happens after death, I'm doing my best to enjoy this crazy ride called life. I think too many focus on after-life and not life. For all we know it's just like falling asleep. Nothing more or less. Who knows, who cares, live everyday as if it's your first and party like it's your last. I feel it's best to be an awesome person in the here and now, worry about death when your dead.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

why does it even matter to the non believers if the believers believe ? it's not like you get up after death and tell us '' see, i told you so '' because you all be dead and non existent ...so why try to convince people that they believe for nothing ??? it's still our choice like it is your choice also :w00t: ...

• Like 1

psyche101

Energy hanging on to information for any length of time? Science doesn't have a clue, but you, me, and every other human does it every day. By energy, I am referring to 'particles' (or waves) of sub-atomic energy that create 'matter'.

Science does have a clue though, entropy. Entropy represents the diversity of internal movement of a system. Thus a living human has more entropy than a corpse. As the information diversifies, we become many things, just like all the atoms that make you up were once part of the death of a star, now considering we are humans, and stars are so big and important, is that a demotion? Do you have any notion of ever being part of a star, or being born in such an explosion? No of course not. But if your ideal was to hold true, we should.

• Like 1

psyche101

You are a believer as well, since you believe or just assume that there can be nothing after physical death.

The evidence and many observations tell us this.

Man tell's us some ghost version of ourselves lives on.

That makes you a believer, and myself as well as Imaginarynumber1 observers.

Who knows, you might be the one who will be proven wrong. ;)

Science does, that is exactly it's purpose, to demystify the Universe. Weather we have or understand that answer at this point in time is irrelevant. What we do have is as mentioned observations and evidence, people have been encased in MRI's during death, plugged into every measuring machine that exists, nothing supports this man made fanciful notion, body farms exist specifically in order to understand death as well as is possible.

Nothing supports the man made ideal that so many have taken to heart. Man made tall tales about an imaginary being.

• Like 1

psyche101

I think such a thing is a produce of entitlement. Most religious individual think they've earned something. Making this life worth living. If I'm a good boy/girl god will take me to heaven. Kinda sad really if you think about such a mindset. You end up living your life doing all these good things but forever seeking a selfish reward.

Indeed, and yet they say they are meek? Some of the more devout are now saying "I do not deserve it, but it would be great" Watch that phrase catch on in the thread not that it has been mentioned :devil:

I really would like to know what these people expect when they show up at said pearly gates, or whatever their relgion prescribes and demand that God give them their reward ;) It is a shame the afterlife does not exist, that would be REALLY something to see.

• Like 3

psyche101

I think you misunderstand what being a believer means. I follow the evidence. There is no evidence of an after life. Period.

bill-nye-used-science-and-evidence-to-support-that-the-earth-is-older-than-4000-years-but-wait-he-have-an-old-book_o_2808253.jpg

• Like 3

psyche101

Sorry but that really doesn't fly too well with me. Making a broad, sweeping statement about how we "do it every day" doesn't mean anything..perhaps an example would help.

See...to me information is like a raft on the water; it cannot go anywhere on water that is stagnant, it just sits there then eventually dissipates (rots) but once you set it in a river with a constant current then it will go.

Just because scientist don't have a clear picture or a firm enough extrapolation doesn't mean that it is open to any interpretation where "anything goes".

I find the computer analogy xenofish mentioned works really well too :tu:

Shuts down one system at a time, and the hardware that retained the information is returned to basic fundamental levels as it returns to it's original state.

As hearing seems to have been determined to be the last sense to go, it now always reminds me of the final black log-off screen as a computer shuts down.

Then just nothing. No heaven, no hell, no pain, no rewards. Just the privilege of having been here and done the human being thing. Who knows where our atoms will end up, The glass of water I had this morning might have been also a Dinosaurs morning quencher too.

• Like 3

psyche101

I don't care what happens after death, I'm doing my best to enjoy this crazy ride called life. I think too many focus on after-life and not life. For all we know it's just like falling asleep. Nothing more or less. Who knows, who cares, live everyday as if it's your first and party like it's your last. I feel it's best to be an awesome person in the here and now, worry about death when your dead.

Exactly, living a life for an afterlife, is not living, it is a waste of life.

I have no doubts you have seen this most excellent quote before.

4061d9ec07b9fea0d052de0476f4798c.jpg

• Like 3

Imaginarynumber1

bill-nye-used-science-and-evidence-to-support-that-the-earth-is-older-than-4000-years-but-wait-he-have-an-old-book_o_2808253.jpg

mitton_figure3_ksm_zpsgvof6t6r.jpg

• Like 3

psyche101

why does it even matter to the non believers if the believers believe ? it's not like you get up after death and tell us '' see, i told you so '' because you all be dead and non existent ...so why try to convince people that they believe for nothing ??? it's still our choice like it is your choice also :w00t: ...

Hi Lovely Lady

How's the pot plant hat going? I told you they would take off...........

If you read my reply to Barbco, you can see that what is put forward as this belief catches on - and for the same reasons you embrace it, false promises of something EVEN BETTER. It also enables idiots like the creationists trying to teach in schools that the earth is 6,000 years old.

Really, they ought to be tarred and feathered.

It impoverishes our society to have this man made blight attack logic common sense, and gathered data. To me, that is not fair. Religious people get this forced on them from birth, it becomes part of who we are. I feel we have the right to freedom from this tyranny. I feel we have the right to understand the wonders of this Universe, and I feel we have the right to enjoy them, and pass the knowledge we gather on, in fact, I see that as a duty. I feel we should be allowed to learn in peace, to relish in these wonders, not be threatened to live your life a certain way for the next life.

We have seen the Church oppress this way of life, and discourages following nature instead of man because the Church needs to hide these greater understandings to survive. We know God did not make the Universe. We have evidence that no supernatural entity is required to do so. We know God did not make Man, the fossil record is concrete evidence of this. We know God did not say "Let there be light" when the Universe was born, it actually took the Universe about 400,000 years to produce light.

As our understanding grows, Gods place and importance diminishes. Many refuse to accept this, but look at how Man re-writes the Bible to suit modern times. This shows me deep down, people do know this to be true.

Just like how we once thought that Zeus threw Lightning Bolts to make Lightning, and Thor hit his mighty hammer to make thunder. People believed this, because well man can throw a spear, and it looked a bit the same shape as a lighting bolt, and you can bang a hammer on a rock, and imagine a really big hammer might make a great thunder sound. As we understood lightning and thunder, those Gods were no longer needed, they were false representations of the real science. This is happening right here and now with the Universe too, and the current Abrahamic Gods who currently tend to dominate the globe.

It is our birthright to share the knowledge. It is my responsibility to my community to know they have real and sound information. As mentioned to Barbco, some are easily influenced and will take the easy way out, they might not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they still deserve the truth.

So do you my Moroccan friend, you deserve to live life for the here and now, and enjoy it. Not hold yourself back for some man made God who does not even exist. If you do not wish to follow that path, then that is your choice, and more power to you, but that is a personal pursuit that you are unable to verify, as such, the verification ought to be left up to the people who follow the evidence and are happy to explain and share that observation. That is why faith must remain personal, it is a choice, not something that actually can be quantified. Science, observation and discovery can be, and thusly is.

Hope that helps with your question.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

psyche101

mitton_figure3_ksm_zpsgvof6t6r.jpg

:w00t::lol::rofl::tu:

• Like 2

EEHC

Following the evidence and dismissing the possibility are not the same thing in my book. You seem to have gone for the later, based on post #46.

Edited by EEHC

Imaginarynumber1

Following the evidence and dismissing a possibility is not the same thing in my book. You seem to have gone for the later, based on post #46.

5130564+_9fc54dd34b4b589778a43ee465efc422.jpg

• Like 3

psyche101

Following the evidence and dismissing the possibility are not the same thing in my book. You seem to have gone for the later, based on post #46.

That depends on where the evidence leads. And in our case, it leads toward a natural evolution of all things in the Universe.

• Like 2

barbco196

God promised you eternal life, or someone said God did?

WIth all due respect, whilst your insights comfort you, they simply confuse others, if you could share this "knowing" people could see it in a different light, but from this angle it just seems to be ego, sorry, there is no nice way to put that and I realise that, and I am not intending to come down on you, but there are a lot of people who are influenced by such notions only to be let down, which can lead to depression and worse. I know people who are easily influenced and I would not like to see them waste a life on some fanciful idea. When you make a claim, you should be able to offer more than some mystical inner knowing as proof, as what science can offer to the rest of us have well transcends that in the way of logical deduction via evidence and observation. Because it has this work behind it, it deserves to be heard over one's personal conclusion based on what seems to be a wish list. You can believe that, and more power to you, I am not here to dent your faith, but I do wish to see the very best evidence and current understandings take precedence over superstition and gut feelings.

Lets face it and be honest, relgion gave you this notion. Many fear mentioning that because deep down you know the Bible is flawed and relgion, whilst it works for you is hurting many people at the same time, and science has well transcended it, giving us the answers where relgion gave us fanciful tall tales. A lifetime of indoctrination is a very hard thing to challenge, not all of us are up to it at this point in time.

The next generation has a much better chance of picking up what I am putting down.

I'm not sure why you think my faith in knowing about God and an afterlife has anything to do with ego, unless you're strictly referring to 'self'. Although, I don't think you are. I just know. I don't have to prove my faith or disprove your lack there of. You have a choice. As far as religion is concerned, I don't subscribe to it. I believe in God. I believe Jesus is his son and came here to teach us how to treat one another. Science has transcended The Bible?! Examples?

• Like 1

freetoroam

first of all , i dont know where i will be and only god knows that and decides . But it's still my right to believe that there is a afterlife and i believe is more real than this life .

Just as you ,whom ever you might be , feel sorry for what i believe ...i feel the same way about '' you '' too .

Nobody owe me anything but i can only pray i be one of them to get to the other side ...

:yes:

Well you know my views on all this, but you are absolutely right, people have a right to believe, they have a right to "hope", a right to "wish" and a right to = "have that right".

I do not feel sorry for you at all, you are not a fundamentalist, you are not a fanatic, you are just a believer in something which people have been wanting to know about for centuries. I respect your beliefs.....as long as they do not turn into preaching and insisting there is life after death, then crack on. :tu:

I actually like the idea that the question is still being asked, it keeps the debates nicely burning round the fire. :yes:

• Like 2

freetoroam

Because we have some crazy nuts out there who believe there is an after life and if they blow themselves up and take a load of innocent people with them, they will go to paradise.

Cults from all walks have decided they wanted to get to the afterlife earlier.....this is the danger believing can conjure up among some.

• Like 2

acute

When we die, we go to another dimension, where life is a spiritual progression.

Before we die, we retire to Eastbourne.

(That's a joke for the Brits)

Bendy Demon

When we die, we go to another dimension, where life is a spiritual progression.

Hmmm...and here I thought life on this planet was part of this "spiritual progression". Guess we are wasting our time here then?

• Like 1