Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Next ice age has been delayed by 50,000 years

UM-Bot

Man-made global warming is believed to have postponed the next ice age by several thousand years.

Our planet has endured multiple ice ages over the last few million years and the last one, which saw large areas of the northern hemisphere buried under glaciers, ended only around 12,000 years ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/290475/next-ice-age-has-been-delayed-by-50000-years

That's good to know, I'll have to change the date in my calendar.

• Like 6

Great news, time to put more coffee on then and go do some shopping.

Well I have been burning tires in my backyard, nonstop for the past 17 years for this reason alone.

And my loathing of tires.

But. Still.

I am a hero, right?

• Like 6

Well that can't be right. The liberals have assured me that global warming is permanent and will kill us all and all the animals and plants.

• Like 2

I swear summers getting colder in the last decade

• Like 1

Pfew, then my greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat-greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat-

greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat-grandson doesn't have to worry

Edited by JKoene

Well that can't be right. The liberals have assured me that global warming is permanent and will kill us all and all the animals and plants.

Saying GW will be forever is ignoranant. Who is claiming this?

However until we stop emitting greenhouse gasses there will in theory never be a next ice age.

Let's just hope that it is all that is delayed because of man's impact on nature. System is much more complicated and parts of it are related in many ways so it's a bit arrogant ( as always with most 'advanced' life on Earth ) to expect that only Ice Age is affected.

What we know about Sun's influence of climate and all life on Earth, well, most of it was learned recently, relatively.

Well I have been burning tires in my backyard, nonstop for the past 17 years for this reason alone.

But. Still.

I am a hero, right?

AAA grade, non-GMO, grass fed, organically prepared humor. Served daily by Bubbly. Sometimes the presentation isn't on point but hey - even Gordon Ramsay gets hungover once in a while.

• Like 1

The whole world should take a moment to thank developing countries for their unrestrained, unfiltered and unmanaged pollution. If it wasn't for them, we'd be wearing parkas right now.

Or... we can thank our lucky starts that our completely reckless behavior occurred at a time in our orbital cycle that had some built in tolerance. If we had begun polluting our atmosphere at these levels 2000 years ago who knows.

• Like 3

Win!

We're still in an ice age, in an interglacial period. Also, we're one super volcano eruption away from negating any effect man has had on the cycle.

But. Still.

I am a hero, right?

Yes. I will throw you a parade someday. You might be the only human to actually impact weather on this planet, you should be honored.

• Like 1

We're still in an ice age, in an interglacial period. Also, we're one super volcano eruption away from negating any effect man has had on the cycle.

Yeah, a super-volcano would make all this rather moot huh? :)

Since life is much more intolerable for mankind during an ice age, and tends to be more benign overall during warm periods, I'm not going to complain. But also in the last forty years or so I have heard every possible prediction for global climate, from a predicted ice age in the 1970s, to global warming in the 1990s, to a halt to global warming and the possibility of another mini-ice age in the last twenty years or so to this latest prediction. It even got to the point where some liberals said anyone who is a climate change denier should be put in prison.

Now I have lived all but three of my nearly 60 years on a tidal river at sea level and have heard all my life how the ocean was rising and the land would be engulfed, but frankly, I have been accreting land and have gained about 30-40' along the shoreline, so forgive me if I remain unconvinced.

So I'll have to go with this:

Whatever the weather, we'll weather the weather, whether we like it or not.

• Like 5

Saying GW will be forever is ignoranant. Who is claiming this?

However until we stop emitting greenhouse gasses there will in theory never be a next ice age.

Have you seen the "hockey stick"? It just goes up and up. No where do the Climate Change / Global Warming alarmists show the next ice age coming in. Because they are trying to show how dangerous and immediate the issue is. Do you deny this?

You do realize you just said that claiming GW will be forever is ignorant and then state in the next sentence that there will be no next ice age?? You don't see the conflict in those two statements?

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

Have you seen the "hockey stick"? It just goes up and up. No where do the Climate Change / Global Warming alarmists show the next ice age coming in. Because they are trying to show how dangerous and immediate the issue is. Do you deny this?

You do realize you just said that claiming GW will be forever is ignorant and then state in the next sentence that there will be no next ice age?? You don't see the conflict in those two statements?

On the time scale shown on the hockey stick graph the next ice age is way over to the right even without global warming. the hockey stick tells us nothing about the next ice age because it was never meant to. Your comment is a red herring.

The next ice age is inevitable due to the eventual conjunction of milankovich cycles - but its onset has been massively delayed by mans changes to the natural climate cycles. All talk of the next ice age is a distraction from the real issues at hand which is to prevent global warming topping 2C and heading towards a disastrous 4C rise which would see us as a footnote to history.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

On the time scale shown on the hockey stick graph the next ice age is way over to the right even without global warming. the hockey stick tells us nothing about the next ice age because it was never meant to. Your comment is a red herring.

The next ice age is inevitable due to the eventual conjunction of milankovich cycles - but its onset has been massively delayed by mans changes to the natural climate cycles. All talk of the next ice age is a distraction from the real issues at hand which is to prevent global warming topping 2C and heading towards a disastrous 4C rise which would see us as a footnote to history.

Br Cornelius

The hockey stick was used to impress on people that the temperature is going UP, UP, UP... And that we'll kill everything everywhere. It is like showing a population growth graph from 1990, showing the growth of humanity doubling every fifty years, and drawing a line straight up. (Which many alarmists did do) Thus it is correct to say that "The liberals have assured me that global warming is permanent", because these liberals are politically motivated. I didn't say anything about scientists.

I understand all that, but the historical records over the last million or so years, show that the temperature has gone up and down over a range of 14 degrees C (as around 140,000 years ago) and yet, we see thousands of "fragile" species, which must have evolved over millions of years, that weathered such changes dozens of times. Why would today, going to perhaps 4 C to 6 C above what it is today be a mass extinction?

VostokTemp0-420000%20BP.gif

• Like 1