Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant robot walking in the clouds

seeder

Plane passenger captures mysterious shadowy figure that 'resembles the Iron Giant robot' walking on clouds at 30,000ft

Nick O'Donoghue snapped the image on an EasyJet flight to Cork

Speculation as to what the shadow really is have been circulating online

Some users commented that the figure looks like the robot from Iron Giant

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3399089/Plane-passenger-captures-mysterious-shadowy-figure-resembles-Iron-Giant-robot-walking-clouds-30-000ft.html#ixzz3xKfBaXdc

walking
  • Like 6

Not a big fan of the Daily Mail, but this is pretty cool. Don't know what it could be.

• Like 2

That is quite interesting actually. I expect someone will say perilhelion or whatever it is, that thing where you see shapes in clouds, but it is quite thought provoking.

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 1

Robot must have been made of aluminium like, but more advanced and much lighter - thousand times stronger material hmm maybe mr. Giorgio from Ancient Aliens could explain this one hehe

• Like 2

I`m sure EasyJet charged a special entertaiment fee to the passengers.

• Like 2

It's probably a break in the Cloud just like in the distance.

I believe it's a play on the light angle and quite simply a break in the clouds making it look like a shadow but no it's not.

It's probably a break in the Cloud just like in the distance.

:alien: Indeed... word.

It was just a rich party billionaire who recently escaped capture by the 10 rings. Nothing to see here

What. Does the shadow make it look authentic for being on the top of a cloud?

Looks more like a human walking on a ground snow field.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like a break in the clouds it's either a really cool cloud column, Photoshop or a robot walking on the clouds.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like a break in the clouds it's either a really cool cloud column, Photoshop or a robot walking on the clouds.

Why does it have to be a robot? Looks similar to my mother-in-law.

• Like 2

Why does it have to be a robot? Looks similar to my mother-in-law.

hhhhhhhh i have the flu and you made me laugh now my chest burns like fire but hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

Yeah pallidin, When I first saw it with jet planes (altitude) robots and clouds in mind it looked like a large lone figure walking on top of a cloud, quite a majestic photo really. The shadow would work on top of a cloud or on snow. Perhaps it was intended as a mind game rather than a hoax because it is quite clever how the headline is worded. A close up of a human can also appear like a very large humanoid form at a distance if you think you are looking at something in the distance. Snow close up looks a bit like the tops of clouds far away. Then you read he was returning from a ski holiday and that says it all really.

Not a big fan of the Daily Mail, but this is pretty cool. Don't know what it could be.

It's my ex roommate Cloudy Raines.

I had to boot him out several years ago, and he's had a chip on his shoulder ever since.

Harte

Imagine a big power station pumping out steam on a calm still day out of a pair of really tall chimneys? Now imagine low level cloud and the steam is rising up and through that cloud and then when through the cloud it begins to dissipate? The dissipation then causing the sun to be blocked a little so causing a shadow on the top of the low level cloud? I would imagine that it is a very foggy day down on the ground.

Cloud column pareidolia. Possibly there is a smoke stack from a power plant below the cloud layer. Aircraft is supposedly at 30k feet but the cloud layer appears much lower. Too bad we don't have a bit more info like date, time, and location.

• Like 1

Looks more like a human walking on a ground snow field.

This is exactly what I thought.

I would like to see a zoom-in on the background behind the man.

Idk - maybe it's just a wispy bit of cloud that was pushed up through the flat layer of cloud by a gentle updraft to cause this unusual effect ?

Even so - it's still pretty cool - and I would have taken a picture of it myself ...(that's if it isn't just another hoax of course) *sigh*..

• Like 1

But clouds can still cast shadows because of sun light - often a cloud will go over ahead (because of wind factor) and shade the ground for a while - until the sun peaks through again.

Edit to add - So you don't think that a cloud can shade cloud ?

Maybe someone else can answer this :huh:

Edited by Astra.

But clouds can still cast shadows because of sun light - often a cloud will go over ahead (because of wind factor) and shade the ground for a while - until the sun peaks through again.

Edit to add - So you don't think that a cloud can shade cloud ?

Maybe someone else can answer this :huh:

You are correct Astra, clouds absolutely make shadows.

• Like 2

You are correct Astra, clouds absolutely make shadows.

Thanks Merc - well you have flown jets - is that correct ?

Do you remember seeing anything (while flying at an altitude above the clouds) as similar as the effect in the article ?

Lets say the images are legit (and it is a cloud / or even smoke - well in your opinion - would this screen of smoke or cloud cast a shadow on top of the cloud below.

Sorry if that sounds a little confusing.

Just adding - I know clouds can shadow the ground / earth. But I have never really given much thought to cloud shadowing cloud.

Much like smoke shadowing smoke I guess ?

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

Cloud column pareidolia. Possibly there is a smoke stack from a power plant below the cloud layer. Aircraft is supposedly at 30k feet but the cloud layer appears much lower. Too bad we don't have a bit more info like date, time, and location.

lol really, thee is a photo you know?

how about a helium filled baloon ?

Edited by qxcontinuum