Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: 'Wow!' alien signal attributed

docyabut2

While I am all for the scientific pursuit of answers, I am almost disappointed that this has potentially been solved.

• Like 4

So lets now hop on the bandwagon of "welp this has been disproved!" as so many are eager to do,It's not 100% sure it's just a theory fyi.

• Like 1

The signal probably been picked up more then once but the government is stopping the public to know this info because it would cause chaos

• Like 1

The signal probably been picked up more then once but the government is stopping the public to know this info because it would cause chaos

You know there's an aliens dancing thread you should go stay at.

Edited by Kurzweil

The signal probably been picked up more then once but the government is stopping the public to know this info because it

would cause chaos

And for what reason exactly, as per yr CT opinion, should such a government even publish a single event out of several?

• Like 1

And for what reason exactly, as per yr CT opinion, should such a government even publish a single event out of several?

considering how many backyard radio astronomers there are.. and a number of them will be listening in on that very frequency to detect the next wow signal

• Like 3

It appears that there are two serious problems with a cometary explanation for the wow signal.

1.) While comets contain hydrogen gas, astronomers have found that they do not appear to be strong radio emitters on the neutral hydrogen line, which is the frequency of the wow signal. There may simply not have been enough energy to account for the very strong signal (30 sigma).

2.) The wow signal was received on only one of the two adjacent antenna beams of the 'Big Ear' radio telescope at Ohio State University. It appeared that the signal quit after being received in the first beam, and before encountering the second. Comets would probably have been received by both beams.

• Like 8

It wasn't even "the government" that published the Wow! signal findings. It was found by a SETI volunteer working on a radio telescope at Ohio State University. So it's not like it's some secret NASA project that picks up on these signals and then hides the results because the sheeple will panic. There's radio telescopes run by all sorts of institutions all over the world looking at the skies.

How could "the government" prevent anyone from publishing any signals from extraterrestrials even if they wanted to? Do they have Men in Black at every radio telescope in the world auditing their findings and ordering them what findings to publish and what not to?

• Like 3

Just....No.....

:blink:

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

NOOOO! If this actually proven true I'm gonna be all like... sad... and stuff. This is one of my all time favorite stories.

• Like 3

It wasn't even "the government" that published the Wow! signal findings. It was found by a SETI volunteer working on a radio telescope at Ohio State University. So it's not like it's some secret NASA project that picks up on these signals and then hides the results because the sheeple will panic. There's radio telescopes run by all sorts of institutions all over the world looking at the skies.

How could "the government" prevent anyone from publishing any signals from extraterrestrials even if they wanted to? Do they have Men in Black at every radio telescope in the world auditing their findings and ordering them what findings to publish and what not to?

Yeah, thats why I wrote "...as per yr CT opinion...".

:yes:

• Like 3

NOOOO! If this actually proven true I'm gonna be all like... sad... and stuff. This is one of my all time favorite stories.

Honestly, in my uneducated opinion, I don't think anybody will ever find out where this signal originated from unless a similar signal shows up. All kinds of hypothesis can be put up, but in the end, they need to be verified.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 5

Hopefully one day we will know the truth...Trying to speculate what it is for now is just that...Cover up I doubt it...

It appears that there are two serious problems with a cometary explanation for the wow signal.

1.) While comets contain hydrogen gas, astronomers have found that they do not appear to be strong radio emitters on the neutral hydrogen line, which is the frequency of the wow signal. There may simply not have been enough energy to account for the very strong signal (30 sigma).

2.) The wow signal was received on only one of the two adjacent antenna beams of the 'Big Ear' radio telescope at Ohio State University. It appeared that the signal quit after being received in the first beam, and before encountering the second. Comets would probably have been received by both beams.

Well I do hope you are right, it has been a mystery that I have enjoyed, and it would be deflating if it was comets, although if that is the case, I would like to know.

If not for your overly zealous approach to the question of ET overall, I would be pleased to see your information as countering the hypothesis, but due to your eternal optimism with anything astronomical that you can vaguely squeeze ET into makes me feel a great deal less confident about your evaluation.

It will be what it will be. I hope we get a definitive answer one way or another in any case.

So lets now hop on the bandwagon of "welp this has been disproved!" as so many are eager to do,It's not 100% sure it's just a theory fyi.

A pretty good and reasonable theory, though.

Yes, this is just a hypothesis and will take a couple of years as each comet gets near to test. Someone from JPL stated that this was a laughable attempt at explaining this and Paris is putting on quite the production about his idea. I certainly hope he is wrong even though this will mean the signal will have no explanation.

I've always wanted to visit the location where it happened, that was until I found out that the "Big Ear" was bulldozed years ago. However, the Perkins Observatory has looked out for its former neighbor and still has a small collection of items from the Ohio State University Radio Observatory. The research of this story got the best of me and I ended up going to the observatory for my "Wow!" signal fix; I was not disappointed. See a few of my pictures and the story.

A star ship coming out of warp drive to soon..Scottie I need more power....

Actually a starship is a possibility. Any plausible starship engine is going to be producing a lot of electromagnetic radiation and if its engine happens to be pointed at Earth it might well show up as a strong signal. This is of course just speculation, but it is not as out there as it might at first seem like...

When I say plausible engine I am not counting things like wormholes or warp drive, since they might well be impossible in the first place. On the other hand an engine powered by laser sail, fusion or anti matter are possible (at least we know they can be done in theory) and they should be detectable in the electromagnetic band. I am no expert on this, so maybe someone would know what wavelenghts they would show up on ?

I am not saying that this is very likely, but its a nice thought. :alien:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2016 at 0:22 PM, Nuclear Wessel said:

A pretty good and reasonable theory, though.

Theories are not facts (the majority of the time) just like this instance.It hasn't been disproved.

• Like 1

So let me get this clear. Every part of the heavens is being listened to and the 'wow' frequency (among others) in all directions 24hrs a day?

Is that even possible?

Is there listening stations plotted around the Galaxy? Or are we listening just from Earth? What's the total length,width & height of a signal?

someone explain to me how signals work as I can't fathom it.. Oh and yes I could look it up but I know how you sceptics like to use facts and as there's so many of you I expect at least one intelligent answer.

cheers

SNR