Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK village suffers non stop rain for 82 days

Still Waters

Residents of a Welsh town have been plagued by Biblical amounts of rain, with the bad weather not letting up for 82 days.

If the deluge continues, the village Eglwyswrw may beat the record, set in 1923, for the most consecutive days of rain.

The rain started on October 26 2015, giving residents a very soggy winter indeed.

The waterlogged residents have spoken out about their plight.

http://www.telegraph...-Eglwyswrw.html

• Like 4

I reckon Wales names it's towns and cities the likes of Eglwyswrw for mischief. To annoy the clear-throated?

• Like 1

how do even say this towns name

• Like 2

I reckon Wales names it's towns and cities the likes of Eglwyswrw for mischief. To annoy the clear-throated?

I think it's pronounced something like "Egglueysooroo". W is a vowel in Welsh.

I'm from Bolton, so not that far from Wales, but they will always remain a mysterious and strange people.

Being an Englishman, I've had the misfortune, back in 1998 when I was in the navy, of being at a McDonald's in Cardiff where the staff spoke to the Welsh customers in English but then reverted to Welsh when they served me, just to be eejits.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

...I'm from Bolton, so not that far from Wales, but they will always remain a mysterious and strange people.

Being an Englishman, I've had the misfortune, back in 1998 when I was in the navy, of being at a McDonald's in Cardiff where the staff spoke to the Welsh customers in English but then reverted to Welsh when they served me, just to be eejits.

:w00t:

That's a lot of consecutive rain days. Wow.

Edited by pallidin

how do even say this towns name

I am wondering about that too :D

Some of these are fine maybe, i can't tell, here link

• Like 1

I am wondering about that too :D

Some of these are fine maybe, i can't tell, here link

I have to say that the recordings they use are absolute garbage apart from the one posted by Guest which is spot on.

Nzo, it's not that ridiculous a name seeing that Eglwys means church in Welsh (not sure about the "wrw" bit) and the village is in Wales!

Black Monk, I'm surprised the staff in Cardiff knew how to speak Welsh as it's very much an English-speaking area of Wales. No excuse for them speaking Welsh to you although I don't think many of the Welsh customers would understand if they spoke Welsh to them either.

• Like 1

In 1612, the leader of this new village, as well as interested citizens, were all in the local pub.

The leader had WAY too much to drink. Still, he was asked: "What shall we call our new-found village"?

Barely able to speak from all the drink, and about ready to puke, he mumbled whilst sneezing... "Eglwyswrw !"

Thus the village name was born.

:passifier:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Living Welsh is the best revenge.

Seems pretty obvious that the weather gods think the name of the town is impossible to say, they're certainly bringing some vowel weather to the place :ph34r:

• Like 3

Seems pretty obvious that the weather gods think the name of the town is impossible to say, they're certainly bringing some vowel weather to the place :ph34r:

They do have a problem with consonant rain.

• Like 1

I think it's pronounced something like "Egglueysooroo". W is a vowel in Welsh.

I'm from Bolton, so not that far from Wales, but they will always remain a mysterious and strange people.

My brother in law is welsh.. has a slight aussie accent so do his 2 brothers.. (been here since they were kids) though once they start drinking.. the welsh comes out.. and as the more drunk they become.. the thicker it gets.. next thing they start talking welsh.. and then cant understand why I have a dumb look on my face when they start talking it to me LOL

Look for a crazy man building a big boat out of wood, and a line of animals marching toward him dau ar y tro.

(did I get that right?)

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

Poor people. I hope they see the sun soon.

Nzo, it's not that ridiculous a name seeing that Eglwys means church in Welsh (not sure about the "wrw" bit) and the village is in Wales!

It's funny that, because "église" is the French word for church. Maybe the Welsh word for church comes from the French.

Black Monk, I'm surprised the staff in Cardiff knew how to speak Welsh as it's very much an English-speaking area of Wales. No excuse for them speaking Welsh to you although I don't think many of the Welsh customers would understand if they spoke Welsh to them either.

I know. It surprised me, too. But it was definitely Cardiff. But I think it was 1999, not 1998. I had a few days off from the navy and I thought that, rather than going back home to Bolton, I'd spend the few days somewehere else, so I just decided on Cardiff. I got a train from Portsmouth to Cardiff. Whilst there I also saw the brand new Millennium Stadium under construction, and I stayed in a B&B right next to the half-built stadium.

It's funny that, because "église" is the French word for church. Maybe the Welsh word for church comes from the French.

A few words in French are very similar to the Welsh equivalents. Ffenestr and fenetre come to mind immediately for window.