Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shark As Big As Jaws Clears Australian Beach

Still Waters

A great white shark thought to be up to seven metres (22ft) long has been spotted off the coast of southern Australia, forcing the evacuation of a local beach.

A patrolling helicopter spotted the huge shark around 100m off Marino Rocks in Adelaide's south on Sunday afternoon.

http://news.sky.com/...ustralian-beach

• Like 4

#Straya.

Bet you some shallow genepool escapee will want to kill it "for safety".

I like sharks.

But not when they eat people.

I wonder if this was the big boy that took a hunk out of another white shark a couple years back...or thereabouts? A spokesperson for fisheries (or some dept.) said the culprit was about 6 meters long, putting it about 18 ft.

seax :w00t:

A great white shark thought to be up to seven metres (22ft) long has been spotted off the coast of southern Australia, forcing the evacuation of a local beach.

A patrolling helicopter spotted the huge shark around 100m off Marino Rocks in Adelaide's south on Sunday afternoon.

http://news.sky.com/...ustralian-beach

17 meters is not 22 ft.....someone needs to recypher that .....that's bout 51 ft...that's a Megladon.

:w00t: seax

• Like 1

17 meters is not 22 ft.....someone needs to recypher that .....that's bout 51 ft...that's a Megladon.

:w00t: seax

17x3... Carry the 2...

You're right! Good catch!

17x3... Carry the 2...

You're right! Good catch!

LOL...sorry...my mistake....I need to put my glasses on....it said seven not seventeen....I will stand in the corner for 30 minutes to make up for my blunder... :o i'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other..

seax :unsure2:

• Like 3

I'm so glad that there are still sharks this big. They are such beautiful creatures.

Imagine this shark being caught in the WA drum lines. How sad would it be?!

• Like 4

I wonder what frame-of-reference they used to estimate it's length.

The helicopters specific height above the water and camera settings would do fine I suppose, I don't know.

• Like 1

I have to repeat myself: Dont swim in oceans.

:no:

• Like 2

I like sharks.

But not when they eat people.

Depends on the people.

• Like 1

I hope he/she is 7 metres. After ruthless hunting maybe they are recovering.

Humans will be far down on their menu unlike the blubbery seals and dolphins/whales they like.

Why don't we leave them alone?

I wonder what frame-of-reference they used to estimate it's length.

The helicopters specific height above the water and camera settings would do fine I suppose, I don't know.

While that would be possible, it would mean very careful and synchronous monitoring of the chopper's height (plus distance/angle off to the side) and the lens zoom (rashly assuming it's a zoom). Given they seem a bit vague, I suspect they used the more common method, namely comparison with a nearby boat (or jetty/the people on it/wave intervals/etc..) As soon as you have something known in the field of view, you can narrow down a guesstimate fairly well, and if a boat comes close, it's much easier... Oh, and if you're a 'boatie', you can pretty easily tell the length of a boat by seeing it's top-down profile.. in fact these guys probably can immediately fully identify dam near every boat they see...

While that would be possible, it would mean very careful and synchronous monitoring of the chopper's height (plus distance/angle off to the side) and the lens zoom (rashly assuming it's a zoom). Given they seem a bit vague, I suspect they used the more common method, namely comparison with a nearby boat (or jetty/the people on it/wave intervals/etc..) As soon as you have something known in the field of view, you can narrow down a guesstimate fairly well, and if a boat comes close, it's much easier... Oh, and if you're a 'boatie', you can pretty easily tell the length of a boat by seeing it's top-down profile.. in fact these guys probably can immediately fully identify dam near every boat they see...

I heard on the news that the helicopter was able to compare it to a boat of known size which was close to the shark. :tu:

• Like 1

Everyone knows why sharks won't eat attorney's don't you. It's professional courtesy. ;)

seax B)

• Like 1

Everyone knows why sharks won't eat attorney's don't you. It's professional courtesy. ;)

seax B)

image.png

We needed that laugh.

• Like 4

Benchley was inspired by real life 'jaws' (ugh, stupid article title) back in Jersey about 100 years ago.

A 22 foot shark makes a lot of fishsticks......

I hope this guy leaves the beaches for his own safety.

• Like 2

A 22 foot shark makes a lot of fishsticks......

I hope this guy leaves the beaches for his own safety.

Any you know what really scares you....there is probably one bigger.

seax :w00t:

Reports exist for great whites as big as 11 metres*, and while there is some argument about how the lengths were measured, some photographic evidence apparently exists that supports those claims - I'll try to dig it up online.

Given that largest *caught* was 6.4m, it is fair to speculate that the largest ones are somewhat larger than that..

* Klimley, Peter; Ainley, David (1996), Great White Sharks: The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias and Mollet, H. F. (2008), White Shark Summary Carcharodon carcharias

• Like 2

Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....See for yourself.

seax :tu:

Check this out. This movie was taken by the Brazilian Coast Guard. I am not saying this is a Megaladon or even a shark, but it is impressive....

Hmmm. Another Youtube video that reinforces my opinion of that brothel.

Note that they don't cite the footage. No names...

Note that they also rule out a whale. As a bit of a marine biology nut, I'd love to hear them elaborate on how they did that.. (as for the lame bit about the fin allegedly being horizontal, gee, whales NEVER swim at a side angle.. oh wait yes they do).

It's very low-res footage and adding that in would be dead easy. I'd like to know more about it's source, and perhaps hear the testimony of those involved in the rescue.. BTW, the footage looks an awful lot like other footage about a US Coastguard HMS Bounty rescue - if I find the original unedited footage I shall return...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3