Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EVP Sample

jerseyguy77

How can you be good at evp's and what is there to take a crack at?

Surely if something else is there then anyone can hear it??? It is either there or not, doesn't matter if your good at EVP or not, although I don't know how you can be good or bad at it.

Edited by Redefining Success

Attempt number: 4

Likelihood for constancy: 0%

• Like 1

Have you ever heard of audio pareidolia?

Basically it's hearing familiar sounds in static and other types of noise.

Often when my kids were little I would think I heard them yell "Momma!!" while I was running the hair dryer.

thank you for listening....I hear something at 3-5 seconds and then at 14 seconds, I don't know what it's saying but that's where I hear it

thanks again

How can you be good at evp's and what is there to take a crack at?

Surely if something else is there then anyone can hear it??? It is either there or not, doesn't matter if your good at EVP or not, although I don't know how you can be good or bad at it.

I disagree, certain persons are more open to the otherside than others and have a sharper ear for hearing subtle soundwaves that normally go unnoticed...at least that's my take

• Like 1

Have you ever heard of audio pareidolia?

Basically it's hearing familiar sounds in static and other types of noise.

Often when my kids were little I would think I heard them yell "Momma!!" while I was running the hair dryer.

ahhh yes, audio pareidolia......I call it "a selfie"

ahhh yes, audio pareidolia......I call it "a selfie"

You do realize that pareidolia is a psychological action where the brain makes up a familiar pattern where none exists and and selfie is taking a picture of ones self, right? So you are saying you call taking a picture of yourself is your brain interpreting hearing things that don't exist?

• Like 3

with out going into my back story, which sinks like a ton of bricks, (but basically I think I developed clairaudience from doing too much EVP last year, and I admit, I do not have a handle on the ability/perception quite yet...but am getting better)

but a "Selfie" is what I conseed may be pareidolia that I hear, the rest is from something else I believe...sometimes I apply my own terminology for things....but it's a matter of sorting it out, but yeah, I'm of the opinion that it's some of both, "selfies & spirits"

no one hears anything at 14 seconds? (I'm not saying it's a Class A or anything,) but I think there's something there....this was my first EVP session in months...so it was a relapse in a sense, but I hear something right after I ask my question, then at 14 seconds.

maybe I'm experiencing a haunting and pareidolia all at once.....like a perfect storm of bad circumstances type thing...wonderful

Edited by jerseyguy77

with out going into my back story, which sinks like a ton of bricks, but a "Selfie" is what I conseed may be pareidolia that I hear, the rest is from something else...sometimes I make up my own terms for things

no one hears anything at 14 seconds?

maybe I'm experiencing a haunting and pareidolia all at once.....like a perfect storm of bad circumstances type thing...wonderful

Ok, so you are meaning selfie to mean this is what your interpretation of events is, and not meaning what the actual meaning of selfie is. So you just made up a new meaning to suit you instead of actually using the words that mean what you are saying. Got it. Just wanted to be clear since you are using a term that refers to recording yourself visually and not something that means anything audio. Just a suggestion, but try to use words that actually mean what you intend instead of making up meanings that are completely unrelated to the words you are using.. it leads to a lot less confusion that way.

It's kind of like saying you saw a tree walking down the street, when the word you are looking for is dog. You saw a dog walking down the street. If you make up meanings to suit you and not what the actual definition means, you end up backtracking and spending a lot of time clarifying things instead of talking about the dog you saw walking down the street.

In the future, I recommend you say "I think I hear something in this recording" or something much more in meaning what you mean instead of making up random stuff for words. It will help you a lot.

And just in general with EVP's. don't even tell people what you are hearing. That's considered a spoiler, or confirmation bias. Let people listen to your audio and come up with their on conclusions. Tell people you hear something as X time is ok though. Helps folks to know when they are hearing something, even though it's considered unhelpful to say what you are hearing.

I'm trying to be gentle.. Though I do find it curious that despite your previous topics and claims across the internet, you still cling to this EVP stuff instead of letting it go. But let us try not to let that all clutter up this current thread and sound clip you have presented. And thank you very much for presenting the clip itself in it's own thread, this is a good thing.

And on to that sound clip. I must say, no, I don't find anything at fourteen seconds. I listened to it several times, and even played it a few times for others in the house.. and none of us are coming up with anything for that time mark. I listened to it, and then listened some more at fourteen... I presented it to others here plain on and again suggested listening harder at fourteen.. and none of us heard anything in particular to suggest anything.

Please, don't comment back to me and say what you think it is yet because of this.. let other members listen without any preconceptions to what is or is not in the audio.

• Like 2

Just curious, OP - do you know what a 'ripple' signal is and what it sounds like when it affects fan or other electric motors?

I've referred to this in other threads, but no-one seems willing to acknowledge it or consider it as a possible cause...

• Like 2

Just curious, OP - do you know what a 'ripple' signal is and what it sounds like when it affects fan or other electric motors?

I've referred to this in other threads, but no-one seems willing to acknowledge it or consider it as a possible cause...

I'm familiar to what you are referring to.. but for the sake of others, OP or not..... could you please tell us what a ripple signal is and give us an example of this? It might be helpful to this conversation and future conversations.

Ok, so you are meaning selfie to mean this is what your interpretation of events is, and not meaning what the actual meaning of selfie is. So you just made up a new meaning to suit you instead of actually using the words that mean what you are saying. Got it. Just wanted to be clear since you are using a term that refers to recording yourself visually and not something that means anything audio. Just a suggestion, but try to use words that actually mean what you intend instead of making up meanings that are completely unrelated to the words you are using.. it leads to a lot less confusion that way.

It's kind of like saying you saw a tree walking down the street, when the word you are looking for is dog. You saw a dog walking down the street. If you make up meanings to suit you and not what the actual definition means, you end up backtracking and spending a lot of time clarifying things instead of talking about the dog you saw walking down the street.

In the future, I recommend you say "I think I hear something in this recording" or something much more in meaning what you mean instead of making up random stuff for words. It will help you a lot.

And just in general with EVP's. don't even tell people what you are hearing. That's considered a spoiler, or confirmation bias. Let people listen to your audio and come up with their on conclusions. Tell people you hear something as X time is ok though. Helps folks to know when they are hearing something, even though it's considered unhelpful to say what you are hearing.

I'm trying to be gentle.. Though I do find it curious that despite your previous topics and claims across the internet, you still cling to this EVP stuff instead of letting it go. But let us try not to let that all clutter up this current thread and sound clip you have presented. And thank you very much for presenting the clip itself in it's own thread, this is a good thing.

And on to that sound clip. I must say, no, I don't find anything at fourteen seconds. I listened to it several times, and even played it a few times for others in the house.. and none of us are coming up with anything for that time mark. I listened to it, and then listened some more at fourteen... I presented it to others here plain on and again suggested listening harder at fourteen.. and none of us heard anything in particular to suggest anything.

Please, don't comment back to me and say what you think it is yet because of this.. let other members listen without any preconceptions to what is or is not in the audio.

a "Selfie" can mean many things...at least I think so

yeah, I admit this isn't my best recording...it's my first in months

nothing like my first recording.....I promise you, you will hear something

http://www.itcbridge.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=2460&forum_id=5

go down to post 7-9 under the name Arizona EVP, his attachments are still up, that's my first recording ever broken into 3 parts...it's already filtered and labeled, but I'd be shocked if you don't hear anything

it'll take you 2 minutes

it seems to me, hearing EVPS differs with different people.....I'm blind as a bat, but I can hear a mouse let one rip across a room

and yeah, I won't bring up my backstory.....I've said my piece....but I did send you a PM of other accounts from fellow forum members....but whatever you make of it (if you decide to read it)...please keep it private

Thank You

I took a listen to the OP link, and heard an awfully noisy background consisting of at least two electrical hums/whirs. I heard no significant variations that could possibly be interpreted as voices. I did hear changes in the microphone position (or what was around it - I would guess that you either shifted the mike or your (or your hands..) position near it).

That sort of recording is essentially useless unless there was provenance (eg simultaneous video of the scene, move the mike all around the room, show what devices were on/off, comparative 'control' recording of the same area with all devices off, etc..). And that would apply if there was actually something anomalous to be heard, but there isn't.

I'm afraid this reinforces my usual decision to not bother to listen to these recordings... Get a decent hobby for heaven's sake.

PS, as for this business about us having to go to some other forum, find a post and then click on links in some other person's post (and that person has applied post-processing...)... are you serious?

I won't do that, nor will I be back..

Edited by ChrLzs

To Rashore and anyone genuinely interested in 'fan voices', a 'Ripple Control Signal' is a technique used fairly commonly (?) by power supply authorities. Effectively, they send short sequences of signals down *everyone's* power supply. These signals, which often happen on the hour or half hour but can be anytime, are a sequence of coded 'bleeps' used to talk to multiple electrical devices on the grid, telling them when to switch on/off, go into lower power modes etc. I believe it's often used to remotely control water/septic pumping stations, large hot water and air conditioning systems and the like.

These signals are small and don't really affect the quality of the power you get, but on cheap or less sophisticated things - the most common example being overhead and portable electric fans, like those $10 ones you can buy.. - you can hear the signals! They make the windings of the motor or transformer hum in a different way. It sounds like a sort of warbling or buzzing sound, almost like distant voices that you just can't quite hear. They will usually go on for about 15 seconds or so and then stop, but are sometimes repeated. There's a Wiki here, and technical discussion pdf here.

As to who does this, well, every power company *can* but how many do? I don't know. They are certainly used where I live and the effect is quite odd and can sound like garbled voices. One day I'll get motivated and see if I can record an example for you.

• Like 5

I understand, the thread is about the recording I posted today

Not an old one...but on that point, if anyone follows the story on the link you'll see how my situation goes downhill and I start mentioning "hecklers"

Maybe I'll see if filtering helps on the new recording...It's been awhile

It is a psychological thing - its caused by the paredolia effect - similar to what people hear when they play recordings backwards and hear satanic messages -

(or rather - want to hear them)

Just the other night while falling asleep - I thought I heard jumbled and soft distorted voices coming from outside the window.

When in fact - all it was...was the changing and purring sound of the air conditioning unit - due to the compressor keeping the thermostats temperature controlled.

There are often odd sounds that are heard due to many electrical appliances. (when in doubt tho - call the electrician)

• Like 1

a "Selfie" can mean many things...at least I think so

yeah, I admit this isn't my best recording...it's my first in months

nothing like my first recording.....I promise you, you will hear something

http://www.itcbridge...2460&forum_id=5

go down to post 7-9 under the name Arizona EVP, his attachments are still up, that's my first recording ever broken into 3 parts...it's already filtered and labeled, but I'd be shocked if you don't hear anything

it'll take you 2 minutes

it seems to me, hearing EVPS differs with different people.....I'm blind as a bat, but I can hear a mouse let one rip across a room

and yeah, I won't bring up my backstory.....I've said my piece....but I did send you a PM of other accounts from fellow forum members....but whatever you make of it (if you decide to read it)...please keep it private

Thank You

A selfie only means one thing.. to take a photo of yourself. Don't make up meanings to satisfy your own foolishness because you are too lazy to use proper language. It only makes you look silly and arrogant and incapable of expressing your point of view without forcing others to acknowledge your made up reality and incapable of understanding of what is going on. A dog is a dog, no matter how much you want to call it a tree and insist others should call it a tree. And others will continually misunderstand you and mock you for your self centered arrogance in calling a dog a tree. Or in this instance, calling your EVP a selfie- do you even realize when you do that, you are telling people you took a visual recording of yourself and are passing it off as something else entirely? Or that you might be too foolish to know the difference between taking a photo of yourself and recording an audio of something you are hallucinating? Please, for your sake, just stop with the selfie thing.

And so onward... as had been stated before., and I will state it yet again.... Do NOT ask people to go to another site and hunt down anything. There are specific UM rules about asking people to go to other sites and participate with other sites. So, yet again, DO NOT ASK MEMBERS HERE TO GO TO OTHER SITES AND CLICK ON LINKS THERE. Do not ask members to go to other sites and hunt down anything Please, take this seriously this time. You were able to start this version of this thread with a link (and at this point I must wonder if it was your own link or if you used someone elses link), please include your own links here on UM instead of asking members here to go to another site site and hunt down various links there.

And beyond that... do NOT discuss PM's in public forums. Especially without the other members permission, and I darn skippy did not even acknowledge any PM that you may or may not have sent me, let alone give you permission to discuss any such thing in a public. And extra shame on you to bring it up in public and ask me to keep it private. That's akin to telling everyone at the party that you exposed yourself to someone in private the day before, then forbid that person to say anything about it.

• Like 4

They are certainly used where I live and the effect is quite odd and can sound like garbled voices. One day I'll get motivated and see if I can record an example for you.

Yes, but don't the majority of claimed evps come from abandoned buildings not attached to the power grid? I experimented with recording evps in one of my rooms and each time I managed to pick up several distinct garbled types sounds. I used a flash memory camcorder. On another forum I posted about it someone replied saying that the internal circuits might somehow produce a similar sound. I checked youtube for RCS and the one that I listened to had a humming sound. Can you find the motivation to post a RCS recording that has a garbled sound?

Yes, but don't the majority of claimed evps come from abandoned buildings not attached to the power grid? I experimented with recording evps in one of my rooms and each time I managed to pick up several distinct garbled types sounds. I used a flash memory camcorder. On another forum I posted about it someone replied saying that the internal circuits might somehow produce a similar sound. I checked youtube for RCS and the one that I listened to had a humming sound. Can you find the motivation to post a RCS recording that has a garbled sound?

Actually, not really. There are plenty of buildings still active and attached to the power grid that is still on, or unoccupied and attached without the power being active. It's an extreme rarity for these places to be abandoned, at worst they are government owned, but more likely privately owned... Abandonment is just a fallacy made up by people wanting to justify their laziness in getting legal permission to be on the property, or laziness in finding out who owns the property at all... Or just straight up not giving two deuces about their criminal behavior in the light of getting their spooky jollies off. Almost any purported abandoned footage you observe is just as illegally gotten as if you watched footage of someone standing by filming a rape, snuff film, or robbery. Less of a fine and/or sentence depending on the situation, but just as illegal.

But as to filming sources, the majority seems to be from people recording very much legally within structures that are very active and completely attached to a power grid or otherwise running on its own power source. Quite often these places are also surrounded by noise sources that cannot be eliminated. It is a true rarity for a location to be in the middle of no where, with zero modern influence, zero animal or habitat influence, and zero human tester influence. That's a big part of why EVPs are so impossible, just far too much other junk for even remote possibility. I never rule out the possibility, but have never heard one that's possible either.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

Actually, not really. There are plenty of buildings still active and attached to the power grid that is still on, or unoccupied and attached without the power being active.

Then its sounds like they are not actually abandoned. When I think of abandoned these are the kinds of places that come to mind: http://abnf.co/indiana.htm

Quite often these places are also surrounded by noise sources that cannot be eliminated. It is a true rarity for a location to be in the middle of no where, with zero modern influence, zero animal or habitat influence, and zero human tester influence. That's a big part of why EVPs are so impossible, just far too much other junk for even remote possibility. I never rule out the possibility, but have never heard one that's possible either.

Then what is your view to this particular claim:

Some experimenters have even placed recording devices in locked boxes or buried them in the ground and they still have captured an EVP.

http://www.evpsounds...recording_evps/

Some experimenters have even placed recording devices in locked boxes or buried them in the ground and they still have captured an EVP.

<<link>>

Before I eagerly pop on over there, forgive me for suggesting that a site called 'evpsounds' might not be a fully unbiased source of information... So what specific, VERIFIABLE claims will I find there, or is it more anecdotes (and ad-supported links)?

At some point Ben, you are going to suddenly realise what genuine research looks like, and also what makes it 'genuine', and how you can verify it..

At least I hope so... (my breath is unheld, due to past traumas... :D)

Then its sounds like they are not actually abandoned. When I think of abandoned these are the kinds of places that come to mind: http://abnf.co/indiana.htm

Woah... Most, if not all, of those places on that site are NOT abandoned. I didn't do a full run since some of the labeling is missing, but the labeled ones all check. They are privately owned in the majority, with some government owned. Neglected for sure, but not abandoned. People tend to think that unless a place is actively occupied and immaculately kept up, it's abandoned. This is incorrect.

I mean dear lord, as a glaring example... Do you really think the Busch stadium property was unowned? Besides the fact that the site spelled the name wrong, no, it was never an abandoned property.

And getting the most basic of information wrong, that of ownership and abandonment, really gives problems of credibility and illegality. If a person can't even give one of the very first and simplist of principals right, and is willing to be an illegal criminal... It does not say much for how credible their supposed evidence is. After all, too lazy to figure out if something is even owned by who indicates too lazy to do proper research of any type. Sets them up as a liar right off the cuff and discredits them early.

Let me state this in its own line.... It is illegal to go to owned places without permission, no matter how unoccupied they may seem. It is trespassing and often breaking and entering. Depending on the place and the priors, it can be vandalization, desicration, hate crimes, treason... Not good stuff. Never ever assume a place is ok to go to until you confirm ownership records and get ironclad permission.

Anywho, onto the second link. Interesting in its own right, disconcerting that it cites back totally to the same sources like a badly done urban legend or hoaxed ghost story. I don't totally discount the information, but I for sure wouldn't use it for educational purposes. To bad it does not fully cover legalities.

At some point Ben, you are going to suddenly realise what genuine research looks like, and also what makes it 'genuine', and how you can verify it..

Yes, what research have you personally undertook? How many peer reviewed research papers have you written? If you can't answer both those questions don't go preaching to anyone about research.