Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of ninth planet

bmk1245

Astronomers say a Neptune-sized planet lurks beyond Pluto

The solar system appears to have a new ninth planet. Today, two scientists announced evidence that a body nearly the size of Neptune—but as yet unseen—orbits the sun every 15,000 years. During the solar system’s infancy 4.5 billion years ago, they say, the giant planet was knocked out of the planet-forming region near the sun. Slowed down by gas, the planet settled into a distant elliptical orbit, where it still lurks today.

[...]

The orbit of the inferred planet is similarly tilted, as well as stretched to distances that will explode previous conceptions of the solar system. Its closest approach to the sun is seven times farther than Neptune, or 200 astronomical units (AUs). (An AU is the distance between Earth and the sun, about 150 million kilometers.) And Planet X could roam as far as 600 to 1200 AU, well beyond the Kuiper belt, the region of small icy worlds that begins at Neptune’s edge about 30 AU.

arrow3.gifFull story on Science

Maybe JWST (James Webb Space Telescope) will be able to spot this planet, if computer simulations are correct.

• Like 2

If there is a Planet-X, the Nibiru crowd is going to feel way too justified..

• Like 9

I was just about to post this article, but my god can't believe Stichens was possibly right about a planet beyond Pluto. Even though it was a possibl dead planet according to the figures in the report.

Edited by Ryinrea
  • Like 2

I was just about to post this article, but my god can't believe Stichens was possibly right about a planet beyond Pluto. Even though it was a possibl dead planet according to the figures in the report.

We've discovered other planets in our solar system beyond the orbit of Pluto, including Sedna, Makemake and Haumea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

Most are minor planets - technically, the number of minor planets is in the hundreds of thousands, with thousands (yes, really) discovered each month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_planet

• Like 4

We've discovered other planets in our solar system beyond the orbit of Pluto, including Sedna, Makemake and Haumea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

Most are minor planets - technically, the number of minor planets is in the hundreds of thousands, with thousands (yes, really) discovered each month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_planet

Those are technically not planets but dwarf planets so I was talking mostly about the obrtial calculations that could suggest Sitchens hypotheses to be correct.

If someone spouts drivel it is always possible that occasionally, by random chance, some if it might be correct. That doers not make it a valid hypothesis, it's still drivel. Sitchin is drivel regardless of whether there is a planet beyond Pluto or not.

This sums it up perfectly.

• Like 4

If someone spouts drivel it is always possible that occasionally, by random chance, some if it might be correct. That doers not make it a valid hypothesis, it's still drivel. Sitchin is drivel regardless of whether there is a planet beyond Pluto or not.

I tend to agree on mostly dribble but the planet was correct just saying. lol

I dont understand why its been so hard to find if its orbit is already calculated and its gravity effects observable. Isnt anybody looking where they expect it to be? Wouldn't it help if while asking other people to look they actually pointed out where it should be?

• Like 2

Surely, they would be able to spot it with something, e.g. the Hubble telescope? Maybe some information is being held back?

• Like 1

Well the reason is the light that emitted is very little to none due to the orbit of Planet Nine so it's hard to get an location due to that one.

How close is this planet Nine when it is at its closest to the Sun?

Is it evidence about disturbances that affect the earth every 20000 years? I am thinking of asteroid impacts etc? Will it when it is at its closest distance disturb the asteroidbelt, or the Kuiperbelt?

Most likely not, since its orbit at its closest is about 7 times farther out than Neptune.

Even itis not reflecting light at its current distance, I am amazed it has not been discovered earlier.

Who should be awarded the Nobel Price, Brown or Sitchen :) ?

Cheers.

Edited by Nordmann61

I tend to agree on mostly dribble but the planet was correct just saying. lol

No he wasn't, His predicted planet is as nonsensical as the rest of his moronic drivel. Nibiru's predicted orbit is nothing like that of this new predicted planet.

You can't simply cherry pick three words "planet beyond Pluto" from thousands of words of nonsense and claim that he got something right.

• Like 6

Surely, they would be able to spot it with something, e.g. the Hubble telescope?

Yes you might be able to spot it with Hubble... if you know where to look. Before this no one knew where to look.

Searching for a planet this far out without first narrowing down the area to search in would take considerable amount of time on some of the worlds most powerful telescopes. Observing time on such telescopes is valuable and rare, they simply could not dedicate themselves to such a search.

Maybe some information is being held back?

That makes sense, but only if the way you hold information back is to release it openly to the public.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 4

20 times further out than Neptune is a long way out and too far for a probe, I expect? It's a challenge though.

Mostly correct it will take time for voygers 1&2 to get out that far and due to the fact planets don't emit to much light and it will be hard to detect because of that. Edited by Ryinrea

The article says " Its closest approach to the sun is seven times farther than Neptune, or 200 astronomical units (AUs). (An AU is the distance between Earth and the sun, about 150 million kilometers.) And Planet X could roam as far as 600 to 1200 AU, well beyond the Kuiper belt, the region of small icy worlds that begins at Neptune’s edge about 30 AU." So, I agree that, if it is also known that it has a highly elliptical orbit and that the orbit period is able to be estimated, then, surely they must have some idea where it is in that orbit?

Edited by herbygant
  • Like 2

How close is this planet Nine when it is at its closest to the Sun?

It never comes closer than 200 au to the sun (for comparison Pluto's distance from the sun varies between about 30 and 49 au).

Is it evidence about disturbances that affect the earth every 20000 years? I am thinking of asteroid impacts etc? Will it when it is at its closest distance disturb the asteroidbelt, or the Kuiperbelt?

There is no evidence that it affects the Earth. It never comes any where near the asteroid belt. It orbits beyond the Kuiper belt, but it has been there for billions of years. Anything it was going to hurl towards the Earth it would have done so a very long time ago.

• Like 7

As long as there is no visual confirmation, it does not exist and it is a fantasy.

That's a whole lot of scientific misunderstanding you managed to fit into one sentence.

To make it correct it should read: "As long as there is no visual confirmation there is no proof that it exists and it is purely hypothetical". Not the same thing at all.

It is worth pointing out that Neptune was discovered mathematically before visual confirmation proved it existed, so this is not without precedent.

• Like 8

Surely, they would be able to spot it with something, e.g. the Hubble telescope? Maybe some information is being held back?

The scientists have released this information to speed up its discovery.

Due to the distance, any with everybody else on-board now, they estimate up to 5 years to find it. The Hubble Telescope is not powerful enough to see it.

• Like 1