Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time could run backwards in parallel universe

UM-Bot

Scientists have put forward a new model in support of the idea that time can run in both directions.

The idea that there could exist an almost limitless number of parallel universes is nothing new, but what if some of those alternative universes were actually running in reverse ?

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/290857/time-could-run-backwards-in-parallel-universe

That is funny, as time is a relative and progressive parameter... and progressing in itself means that it goes forward, not backwards. Now, backwards in relation to our universe us a completely different story.

• Like 2

Anyone traveling to this parallel universe wouldn't notice a thing. It's not like you could stand there and watch a death in reverse.

If you could get a window on it and watch from here, then you could.

Harte

• Like 1

For time to run backwards in a parallel universe, would not the future have to already happened?

I think the final scene from the Red Dwarf episode tells it all. I'll pass.

• Like 2

So Mork from Orc was from a parallel universe?

Realistically it is an interesting thought exercise with no way of establishing its authenticity.

• Like 1

Just throwing-out some thoughts (could be wrong)...

"Time" can only exist if "change" exists.

It's always a "relationship"; change within itself and/or change relative to something "outside" of itself.

Without "change" time, per-se, does not exist.

It is from "one state" to a "changed state" that the "interval", time, comes into play.

Not sure where to go with this... I ran out of time.

• Like 4

Im not sure i can fathom this. I dont believe that running in reverse to our time would even be noticeable or much different than our reality would it? I mean it would still be an ordered flow of events so...

Im not sure i can fathom this. I dont believe that running in reverse to our time would even be noticeable or much different than our reality would it? I mean it would still be an ordered flow of events so...

A "time-reversed" universe, it seems, would implode upon itself on creation, or very shortly thereafter.

I just don't see this as a viable extension of a multiverse theory.

A simpler explanation is that physics has reached a 'Copernican' point, as when the determination to preserve the circle as a 'perfect' form resulted in ever more complicated compound circular orbits (called "epicyclets") being proposed to explain planetary orbits that were in fact elliptical. We are now in the position of arguing, to preserve the standard model, that <i>all</i> possibilities happen, which if true makes the experimental testing of hypotheses a little pointless.

I wrote a short book on the conflict between our apparent free will and our bodies' apparent mechanistic nature. I won't go into the reasoning here - the book isn't that short - but my conclusion was that the world responds to will, and that a three-dimensional world driven by will avoids the problems suffered by current physics, which posits a world which is incoherently both a four-dimensional solid (general relativity) and so fragmented that every point within it functions in utter isolation (standard model).

It's the fact that the world responds to will that lets us impose order on it, and the arbitrary nature of that imposition lets us use the two sorts of physics (which could not coexist if they were inherent) as different 'operating systems' to manipulate the underlying substrate. Just as we can use either Windows or Linux to operate the same computer even though they're incompatible with each other, so free will lets us use incompatible schools of physics to operate the underlying world.

But as far as time goes, it doesn't exist: we do not experience time, we experience motion; and a perpetual present full of motion is all we need to describe the world we see. This is what will acts on, and it is free to act because even the past, whose dead hand lies so immovably on standard causality, exists only as a part of the present and is as vulnerable to will as any other part.

• Like 1

Theres a movie which uses this concept briefly. Its called mr.nobody. Anyone with nenflix can watch it.

If time ran backwards in some parallel universe, where would its starting point be? In our universe the temporal starting point is the Big Bang. There is a conjecture that at the BB two universes were created opposite to each other, one moving forward in time, the other backward in time relative to each other, sort of like matter and anti-matter.

Living in either one would seem normal, time-wise, though from the perspective of either universe the other would seem to be running backward in time.

Personally, I think time is like the surface of a slippery ball. It can go in any direction. However, it always comes back to itself. Once the momentum has started, it's hard to go back in the opposite direction. It might be easier sliding off to the side. Perhaps, it's difficult to reverse the slippery momentum because we really aren't suppose to or allowed to? Granted, I am no scientist nor am I even smart. I just like to ponder.

I know it's not the most helpful comment, but...

In the grand scheme of things, we know NOTHING about time, space, space-time, dark matter, other dimensions, the universe/multiverse.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, we know NOTHING about time, space, space-time, dark matter, other dimensions, the universe/multiverse.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because we don't know everything we know nothing, it's simply not true.

Science knows a great many things, it also knows it still has much to learn.

• Like 2

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because we don't know everything we know nothing, it's simply not true.

Science knows a great many things, it also knows it still has much to learn.

I am a big fan of the Multiverse Theory (The 'double slit' experiment proves it, in my opinion), and it throws almost everything we 'know' straight out of the window.

Fascinating idea, but it seems to assume that backward time would need everything to be predetermined.

Personally, I always wonder if matter, and events, create both time and space.

I understand that current models show that is clearly Not the case,

... I just wonder.

Edited by lightly

i gotta say when i first saw doctor who parallel universes baffled my mind and got me interested and now this! This is Fantastic.

I am a big fan of the Multiverse Theory (The 'double slit' experiment proves it, in my opinion), and it throws almost everything we 'know' straight out of the window.

No. The opposite in fact.

New facts are being thrown in the window at us.

There's nothing in any of the various multiverse theories that would cause us to throw anything out.

That is, the science we have worked well enough to give birth to these multiverse theories.

I think you meant that it throws everything you "know" out the window, because what you think you know probably needs to go out a window.

Harte

• Like 1

Scientists love to speculate about how things could be in a "parallel" universe. Very convenient that we will never be able to confirm or deny.

• Like 1

Edited by Dr. Mirdad
  • Like 1

I always take everything scientists say with a pinch of salt. half the stuff they say has no proof

• Like 2

of course. Scientists said it

I always take everything scientists say with a pinch of salt. half the stuff they say has no proof

Which is why they use the term "hypothetical" a lot.

Science is not about absolute truth... it's religions that claim that, it is a methodology to SEARCH for the truth, and to do that hypotheses need to be proposed to explain that which is observed. Those hypotheses are then evaluated and either accepted or rejected based on the supporting evidence.

Think of scientists as being detectives. When detectives have a long list of suspects they aren't claiming they are all guilty, they are simply trying to find evidence to eliminate suspects and determine the real culprit. Exactly the same with scientific hypotheses.

• Like 1