Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen fends off rapist faces charges

OverSword

A 17-year-old girl who was attacked by a man in a city center at night told police that he knocked her to the ground and unbuttoned her pants, trying to undress her, but she turned on him with pepper spray and was able to escape. Her assailant fled and hasn’t been caught, but the victim is facing legal consequences.

“It is illegal to possess and use pepper spray, so she will likely be charged for that,” local police spokesman Knud Kirsten of Sønderborg, Denmark, told TV Syd about the incident, which occurred at 10 p.m. on Jan. 20. Her fine will be around 500 kroner ($73), and many commenters on TV Syd’s story have offered to pay it for her.

According to the Local, the backlash against the fine also has to do with the fact that the assault took place near a migrant asylum center. Although it’s not known whether the perpetrator was an asylum seeker or refugee, there has been a spike this month in the number of local women reporting harassment by male residents of the center.

Source

• Like 4

“It is illegal to possess and use pepper spray, so she will likely be charged for that,”

Since today is apparently a slow work day, I'll be the first to comment on this one too.

UK members of UM: are there any legally available weapons/defense items for women to use? I understand your part of the world is very locked down, but surely there are some things the public can carry? Anything?

Edit to add--

No comment on the proximity to the asylum center or the number of women reporting harassment by male migrants. There are plenty of members here that will do it justice, while the excuses by pro-migrant members seem to be fewer with each new headline.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 4

Since today is apparently a slow work day, I'll be the first to comment on this one too.

UK members of UM: are there any legally available weapons/defense items for women to use? I understand your part of the world is very locked down, but surely there are some things the public can carry? Anything?

Edit to add--

No comment on the proximity to the asylum center or the number of women reporting harassment by male migrants. There are plenty of members here that will do it justice, while the excuses by pro-migrant members seem to be fewer with each new headline.

This was in Denmark but yeah, I wonder the same thing. Is it basically illegal to defend yourself in Europe?
  • Like 8

TBH the mistake people make here is calling the police in the first place. If your the victim but you get the upper hand in a fight like that, DO NOT call them otherwise you might end up getting fingers pointed at you instead. Especially if you used some kind of weapon. It's happened far to many times. Better to just beat the **** out of them and leave it at that.

The police look for easy prosecutions to make their statistics look better. It's a screwed up system. Unless someones dead or your at a financial loss, It's to much hassle to get the law involved.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 3

They need pepper spray with red paint in it to mark the offender.

• Like 9

Eventually vigilantes will evolve and then the authorities will 'play dumb' as to why ordinary law abiding people are suddenly behaving in this manner.

• Like 7

No they won't. UK police especially are by-the-book **** holes. They won't let you get away with anything (well, unless your a millionaire or politician) :P

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

TBH the mistake people make here is calling the police in the first place. If your the victim but you get the upper hand in a fight like that, DO NOT call them otherwise you might end up getting fingers pointed at you instead...

Agreed, this has been my personal manner of thinking for some time now.

• Like 3

No they won't. UK police especially are by-the-book **** holes. They won't let you get away with anything (well, unless your a millionaire or politician) :P

She means they'll play dumb as to the reason that vigilantism is on the rise.
  • Like 1

They need pepper spray with red paint in it to mark the offender.

I believe there is a pepper spray out there that leaves a UV marking dye. I cannot think of the brand, though.

• Like 3

The law is sketchy, but if you were in possession of say a rounders bat, you must keep of with a rounders ball because that's what it is used for, you can use it against an attacker. If you don't have the ball, your screwed.

• Like 2

The law is sketchy, but if you were in possession of say a rounders bat, you must keep of with a rounders ball because that's what it is used for, you can use it against an attacker. If you don't have the ball, your screwed.

I carry a knife everywhere I go. I use it almost daily as an all purpose tool but it's really there just in case I need it to defend myself. Can't imagine that ever being illegal.
  • Like 1

*Flips table*

At least she got away.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 4

Edit to add--

Ha this is tricky, technically, a spray based perfume could work at close proximity....as could a body-spray..... body sprays would probably have the greatest reach and similar effect, tho maybe a short lived effect.....

Holding keys on a key ring between your knuckles is an old street fight trick, can potentially blind you, but you need them ready in advance and need to have the courage to actually throw punches, hard to do if you're on the floor... a pen even, can cause wounds when used in stabbing fashion....

The cops suggest women carry rape alarms....might work if you activate it quick enough but what if no-one hears it? Besides they can be stamped on and thus useless

So yes, we are pretty much totally defensive...specially women...BUT, the OP wasn't in the UK.....tho similar laws no doubt apply

self-defense-with-keys.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Mind you in this case the offender hasnt been caught, so she should NOT be convicted with any form of pepper spray assault.... just possession of the spray

BTW....I once gave an ex GF a small can of pepper spray as she worked late nights, on a routine traffic stop the cops saw it on the seat next to her...she was fined for that after spending 3 hours in the cells

for some reason, its classed as a firearm!! Go figure

the law makes it look like it is less of an offence to carry a knife that is going to do serious damage than a harmless spray. possession of a bladed article sounds a lot less of an offence than possession of a section 5 fire arm. that falls into the same category of been caught with a sawn off shot gun.

https://www.ukpolice...rest-of-europe/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

TBH the mistake people make here is calling the police in the first place. If your the victim but you get the upper hand in a fight like that, DO NOT call them otherwise you might end up getting fingers pointed at you instead. Especially if you used some kind of weapon. It's happened far to many times. Better to just beat the **** out of them and leave it at that.

The police look for easy prosecutions to make their statistics look better. It's a screwed up system. Unless someones dead or your at a financial loss, It's to much hassle to get the law involved.

I think it absolutely ridiculous that she's getting charged but I think she still did the right thing getting the authorities involved because theres still a rapist out there that she could help identify. Just because he got beatdown once doesn't mean he'll necessarily stop preying on women

• Like 5

It is extremely depressing and frustrating to realize girls cannot even legally protect themselves from rape without being charged with a crime over there. Do the lawmakers expect them to just lay down and take it while hoping they are released afterwards and not killed before going to the police filing a complaint?

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 5

DO READ the discussion from actual cops...and the public

https://www.ukpolice...rest-of-europe/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Dear heavens that is just ludicrous that defending yourself would not be legal... However I guess I can understand that some items used for defense my be illegal in some places.

I've never been a gun or pepper spray gal myself. Steel toe boots, heavy spike golf cleats... Hair spikes, as in four to six to eight inches of deadly steel worn in your hair. Wood stakes work too, but steel is better. Broaches and hat pins can easily have spikes of length to fully pierce an eye, ear, or neck. Heavy chains as "wallet guards" and hardware store grade pet leash chain necklaces make for great garrotes, and when set with a pair of four ounce decorative steel or lead weights, makes a great kusari-fundo that is beautiful and harmful. Several kinds of belts when worn decoratively work quite well as garrotes or various Asian soft weapons. Leather gloves can easily be fitted with metal plates in an aesthetically pleasing style to make sap gloves. A purse on a shoulder strap when properly fitted with "designer pattern" studs and spikes can be an effective garrote and soft style mace. A hard sides clutch can double as a set of brass knuckles when used right. Even the wires of a standard headphones/earbuds can be used to choke an assailant unconscious. Keys grasped right make for a deadly punch.

And everyone should learn how to gouge out an eye, rupture an ear, shatter a knee, cripple the groin tendons, strip a shin, break fingers and thumbs, break a foot as well as harmless maneuvers like how to toss an attacker and break common attacker holds.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 4

I carry a knife everywhere I go. I use it almost daily as an all purpose tool but it's really there just in case I need it to defend myself. Can't imagine that ever being illegal.

Its if you are seeing carrying a meat cleaver in public, you are not a chef or its not in packaging

• Like 1

Ha this is tricky, technically, a spray based perfume could work at close proximity....as could a body-spray..... body sprays would probably have the greatest reach and similar effect, tho maybe a short lived effect.....

Holding keys on a key ring between your knuckles is an old street fight trick, can potentially blind you, but you need them ready in advance and need to have the courage to actually throw punches, hard to do if you're on the floor... a pen even, can cause wounds when used in stabbing fashion....

The cops suggest women carry rape alarms....might work if you activate it quick enough but what if no-one hears it? Besides they can be stamped on and thus useless

So yes, we are pretty much totally defensive...specially women...BUT, the OP wasn't in the UK.....tho similar laws no doubt apply

So to answer my open question bluntly, "no". You really can't carry anything that falls in the "offense" category so you're forced to make weapons out of keys and hair spray like you're in a maximum security pen. Amazing how the definition of "freedom" can be used so widely and yet still be perfectly applicable to both your country and mine. Thanks for your response - I will definitely keep my gun rights closer to my chest from now on :tu::gun:

• Like 4

Long time ago a female friend and I were at a store checking out perfumes and colognes and she said hey smell this and I turned around and I got two eyes full of perfume. It was an accident but it definitely rendered my eyes shut and watered down long enough for her to maybe escape if I were attacking her. It wasn't pleasant and it burned for quite a while but ultimately I don't think it would be too effective against a determined attacker.

I will definitely keep my gun rights closer to my chest from now on :tu::gun:

Tales like this op could not convey better why we Americans hate to give an inch on this matter.

• Like 4

BTW....I once gave an ex GF a small can of pepper spray as she worked late nights, on a routine traffic stop the cops saw it on the seat next to her...she was fined for that after spending 3 hours in the cells

That is ridiculous! I prefer living in a place where crazy people can get guns over a place that I can be punished just for being prepared to defend myself. If you ask me England is crazier than the US now.
  • Like 4