Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans Ate 500-Pound Bird to Extinction

Still Waters

An apparently very tasty, 500-pound Australian bird was eaten to extinction by humans 50,000 years ago, new research concludes.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Communications, provide the first direct evidence that humans played a substantial role in the extinction of early Australian animals. In this case, the victim was a flightless 7-foot-tall bird known as Genyornis newtoni.

http://news.discover...mans-160129.htm

• Like 1

An apparently very tasty, 500-pound Australian bird was eaten to extinction by humans 50,000 years ago, new research concludes.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Communications, provide the first direct evidence that humans played a substantial role in the extinction of early Australian animals. In this case, the victim was a flightless 7-foot-tall bird known as Genyornis newtoni.

http://news.discover...mans-160129.htm

I'm not surprised, one of them is KFC for a whole tribe. Mmm.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be needing a bigger stove ~

• Like 1

"Secret herbs and spices" in 50,000 BC was more like "dirt and pulled grasses"

Genyornis newtoni and Genyornis newtoni eggs, for lunch dinner and breakfast hmm hmmm

When I read this the first thing that came to mind was " The Flintstones" intro. , where the waitress sets the giant rack of ribs on the car door, and it tips the car over.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder if we were intentionally put here to wipe out certain fauna, we are a natural disaster, humanity its self is the mass extinction event this time round! im beginning to think that the earth is a mere game to far more advanced race

• Like 1

Makes you wonder if we were intentionally put here to wipe out certain fauna, we are a natural disaster, humanity its self is the mass extinction event this time round! im beginning to think that the earth is a mere game to far more advanced race

With that in mind, should we be as destructive as possible? If this is what mother nature wants, we should comply.

Not really. Just playing devils advocate.

A huge slow moving animal like that is easy prey. Too bad it didn't survive long enough for man to herd them up.

• Like 1

If only the freezer was invented then , the big bird would still be with us ~

Man at walk through: "Yea, I'l have the McGenyornis with a side of primal taters and a splash of diet swampwater." McOutback employee: "Sorry sir, even though we opened only yesterday we just ate the entire species into extinction! Can I ofeer you the McDodo deluxe instead?"

if it tasted like Emu it would be nice.. I like emu :)