Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The theory of God what is it?

Roy Perry

I agree, he has a clear, concise, and succinct voice. Hope to see him around here more.

You two are flattering me too much :blush:

It's a lovely town!

Very lovely little town, I really like it!

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 2

Interestingly, I'm leaving for Florida next Weds. St. Pete's., to see my Dad and my 97 year old granny!

We just had some bad weather, but should be fairly clear and good for the next couple of weeks.

I'm a bit isolated here in Florida, it seems all of the cool and interesting people are elsewhere.

I'd toss in a compliment to Badeskov, but I fear his ego will get to large.

• Like 3

We just had some bad weather, but should be fairly clear and good for the next couple of weeks.

I'm a bit isolated here in Florida, it seems all of the cool and interesting people are elsewhere.

I'd toss in a compliment to Badeskov, but I fear his ego will get to large.

Oh, great to hear! Are you near St. Pete's?

• Like 2

To lie to oneself is a great crime. Life only has meaning based on the one you give it. Having faith and belief based on facts is wisdom.

Having faith based on nothing more that an imaginary being and an endorphin rush. Doesn't make sense.

Again, faith can only exist as a construct. It is a product of conscious self awreness. If we utilise faith in an imaginary being, or make use of a natural chemical reaction to help us, then that is productive and creative

I don't think anyone LIES to themselves They shape constructed knowns where only unknowns exist if they rely on current data or knowledge.

It isn't a lie to believe in god ( nor to disbelieve in one) Unless you KNOW better / or the truth. Then it is a lie.)

If you have facts, you have no need of either belief or faith Eg if you KNOW an aeroplane is not going to crash when you fly in it, then you don't need faith or belief that it will fly safely. Given we CANNOT usually know the future, all actions involving the future are an act of faith or belief. Even when you flick a light switch, you don't know the light will work. Your act is one of faith and belief that it will work. .

HAving faith in an imaginary friend (god) is sensible BECAUSE such faith is proven to improve life outcomes for human beings. That is probably why we evolved the abilty to have faith and construct beliefs. Because it conferred an evolutionary advantage.

Man! It was around this time, this month, last year, I was in Florida. And it was beautiful!!!

It was a great escape to the heaps of snow we had here last year.

• Like 2

So God is basically the force?

That s what George Lucas claims he intended by the force. The spiritual power developed when humans connect to god. and hence posses a greater power, ie the force. Christians would call it the power of the holy spirit. To me it is the power of the cosmic consciousness channelled into and through us. Many aspects of the force, but not (in my experience) the telekinetics, are available to humans in real life.

Oh, great to hear! Are you near St. Pete's?

Nope, I'm much closer to Pensacola. Which despite what St. Pete tries to claim is older. :P

The part I'm in is actually a bit more rural.

Really wish we had some good museums.

Or a public archaeology network who's schedule wasn't set by retirees. :\

• Like 2

Man! It was around this time, this month, last year, I was in Florida. And it was beautiful!!!

It was a great escape to the heaps of snow we had here last year.

Darn it, I wish we could have met Sharon! One day we will!

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Nope, I'm much closer to Pensacola. Which despite what St. Pete tries to claim is older. :P

The part I'm in is actually a bit more rural.

Really wish we had some good museums.

Or a public archaeology network who's schedule wasn't set by retirees. :\

My niece lives in Pensacola; I love it there!

• Like 3

Mr. Walker is a lot of words with little substance and lots of ego.

Isn't there an adage about that?

Humans communicate with words The more words, the more detailed the communication can be, and the greater the abilty to explain complex ideas . Use the right words and you can convey abstract concepts, thoughts and ideas,. as well as symbolic understandings, from one mind to another.

Nothing wrong with ego. We all need it. True ego or self esteem, allows one to have the confidence to help and care for others, and not to be threatened by the ideas and values of others.

With a strong ego you are free to act as you like, according to your own beliefs, ethics and moralities., without the need to curry approval or validation from others.

Healthy self esteem liberates one from the pressure to conform, or run with the pack.

And what evidences do you have that I "lack substance." What does that comment even mean?

It must have something to it, my girlfriend moved here from Kentucky.

Might be I just don't see it from living here.

• Like 2

Humans communicate with words The more words, the more detailed the communication can be, and the greater the abilty to explain complex ideas . Use the right words and you can convey abstract concepts, thoughts and ideas,. as well as symbolic understandings, from one mind to another.

Nothing wrong with ego. We all need it. True ego or self esteem, allows one to have the confidence to help and care for others, and not to be threatened by the ideas and values of others.

With a strong ego you are free to act as you like, according to your own beliefs, ethics and moralities., without the need to curry approval or validation from others.

Healthy self esteem liberates one from the pressure to conform, or run with the pack.

And what evidences do you have that I "lack substance." What does that comment even mean?

We communicate with words, but I've found the less someone actually understands the more words they throw around to make it appear as though they have understanding.

As for lack of substance, each ever so wordy post you make can be boiled down to a sentence or two without missing any nuance, while you toss around concepts that as Badeskov has pointed out you frequently show you understand poorly.

• Like 4

We communicate with words, but I've found the less someone actually understands the more words they throw around to make it appear as though they have understanding.

As for lack of substance, each ever so wordy post you make can be boiled down to a sentence or two without missing any nuance, while you toss around concepts that as Badeskov has pointed out you frequently show you understand poorly.

You make a great points; I recently took Philosophy and now I am taking Critical Thinking and Analysis and the arguments have to be clear, concise, and rich in substance, every word should have a point, should convey a deep understanding of the topic. It is not easy to think this clean, to write or express oneself this profound, it takes work.

I get what you mean and it's great advice: if my professor would have given me feedback to work on substance, the question I would have asked is how, what can I do, what can I read or study to get this?

My youngest son wants to hone his writing for college, he wants to go there the best he can be, he is working privately with a Literature Professor friend of mine who gave him the feedback that he needs to work on flow, and he asked him how can he learn this, he asked what piece of Literature best conveys flow, he asked what is flow, and my boy is nurturing and practicing an understanding of flow.

I have never ran across a teacher as MW, (it shocks me at times) who isn't a lifelong learner/ a perpetual student; (one who thinks he is only right), who doesn't say thank you for your feedback, I value it, it matters to me and thank you for taking the time to share.

I hang around teachers, academics, and educational mentors and they all listen to feedback, seek it out in fact, and consider it an honor to receive it, because it helps them be more refined and have something to give, because in the end it's about the quality of the knowledge one gives that matters.

Wonderful post, I appreciate the points you made.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

I am sorry you see words like that And NO You could NOT boil down the essence of my posts into a few words, because then you would lose all the flavour, goodness and taste, and be left with a few burnt specks in the bottom of the pan I think some people don't LIKE reading, or struggle to do so effectively and want or need the words to be few But that DOES limit the substance of a message.

I enjoy and LOVE words and their power . They are a joy to me, and so, the more of them, the better.

But i am lucky. i can read and understand a whole page of words in a second or two, and i know many people cannot do that and some even find reading a full paragraph and comprehending it quite difficult.

I do write short posts quite often, but generally i use the words i need to use, to define or explain something

. If i can make it clear for myself to read, then it should be possible for an average English reader to understand.. I avoid the higher orders of language i might use with more highly educated professionals, for example and avoid the more complex vocabulary I could use with such people.

Darn it, I wish we could have met Sharon! One day we will!

We will, oh we will.

By Grabthar's Hammer, we will meet and we will meet soon!! *shakes fist to the skies*

• Like 2

My niece lives in Pensacola; I love it there!

I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi for six months of 1991. It was like a pro-longed vacation. Even though I ended up working at a store, it was still like that. :D

It must have something to it, my girlfriend moved here from Kentucky.

Might be I just don't see it from living here.

When one lives in Connecticut all her life, and spent years in places like upstate New York, and New Jersey, with the lack of palm trees, and the hills and mountains and the..................and the......................and the............... snow. *squeak* It's a vacation.

Yeah, ..................... :blush: ......... I learned a long time ago, that an English degree could only make stupid words do not make them look pretty. Just stupid with style. :w00t:

It's the idea of using words, to show you understand.............. and that you realize that you just learned something and was probably wrong is the key. Took me too long to realize that. :blush:

• Like 1

Two things wrong here. A theory can be formulated before there is evidence for it via an hypothesis.

An unsupported idea is a hypothesis. It doesn't become a theory until there is support for it. And it doesn't even make it to hypothesis unless it can be stated in a way that can be tested.

Second of course there is a LOT of evidence for the existence of god(s)

Then I would ask you to present your evidence. What distinguishes your evidence from a mental disorder, such as schizophrenia, psychopathology or bipolar disorder?

"Evidence" can be used to independently test an idea. How can your "evidence" be used to test for the existence of god?

I cant comprehend how anyone studying the history of earth, or sociology, or anthropology or psychology can fail to see the evidences for the existence of at least several types of gods, including psychological archetypes and culturally constructed ones .

The type of "god" we are presumably talking about is a supernatural one. Psychological archetypes and cultural constructs are ideas - like a computer program is an idea.

There is OF course a theory held by many that gods exist.And another tha tno such gods exist.

Once again: they're not theories until there is supporting evidence. And the idea that there is no god is only a default position resulting from a lack of evidence that there is one.

So far both have resisted providing conclusive results, by/from what has admittedly been fairly sporadic, and half hearted, scientific investigation and testing.

How does one test for god? How can god be falsified?

The best idea anyone seems to have come up with yet is that god is a construct of the human mind - an idea without physical being. And by that definition, if mind perishes, then god perishes. Doesn't seem to fit with any traditional concepts of god that I am aware of.

Doug

• Like 5

I've been raised to believe there is a God but I am not so sure if there is a God . I think we were created by some higher powder

I feel this higher power is with us everyday and this higher power is our creator and the creator of what is around us . This higher power gives us the feeling of love and being loved.

I'm not sure if I believe he walked this earth died on the cross . I get up everyday enjoy what is before me . The animals our trees the sun and moon

all the things that make our world beautiful . I will continue doing this throughout my life , I don't think just living the best I can will be bad for me .

if it works for me then why sit and fret about it make it a major problem in my life that it becomes something that keeps festering up causing me to be stress to the

point of me being miserable . We are our own enemy we can destroy a good thing by worrying about something that wasnt worth worrying about .

Edited by Absinthe
  • Like 3

For myself there are so many wild and wonderful aspects of, say, quantum physics, that I simply can not, for myself, discount the possibility of "other dimensions", life-forms in those other dimensions, and the possibility that there might be, ultimately, some form of "hierarchical order"

Of course those are just opinions, as I have no facts or clear, direct experience.

But I am "comfortable" with that mind-set.

• Like 2

As Doug1o29 and others have said, the theory of god is a construct of the mind, a construct of thought. There is also an emotional response to thoughts of god. In my view, in primitive humans or in primitive societies, these emotional responses to their environments were the origins of all intellectual theories of god or gods.

I think this is where spirituality and religion go wrong, when dogma supersedes this fundamental emotion that arises when we experience the mystery of existence.

I would consider a non-intellectual approach to this fundamental mystery we find ourselves within the essence of the religious mind. When we attempt to intellectualize these kinds of internal sensations into some authoritative doctrine we have lost the integrity of the original experience.

• Like 3

As Doug1o29 and others have said, the theory of god is a construct of the mind, a construct of thought. There is also an emotional response to thoughts of god. In my view, in primitive humans or in primitive societies, these emotional responses to their environments were the origins of all intellectual theories of god or gods.

I think this is where spirituality and religion go wrong, when dogma supersedes this fundamental emotion that arises when we experience the mystery of existence.

I would consider a non-intellectual approach to this fundamental mystery we find ourselves within the essence of the religious mind. When we attempt to intellectualize these kinds of internal sensations into some authoritative doctrine we have lost the integrity of the original experience.

I like to think that "reality" is so strange on a hard level that I should remain open to possibilities beyond the current thinking of my mind.

• Like 2

I think we were created by some higher powder

Careful, they don't like that sort of chat on these boards.

• Like 3

Careful, they don't like that sort of chat on these boards.

He's not putting it as fact without evidence.

• Like 2

Meh. Not what I was referring to.

You got something against submitting to a higher powder?

tumblr_lgwvcqvEBY1qzd1oo.gif

• Like 3