Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Nuclear Wessel

What is your reason for belief/non-belief?

228 posts in this topic

Gigmaster

I am neither a 'Believer', or an Atheist. Nor am I an Agnostic. I am simply a reasonably-educated intelligent person, and a scientist. Here are my platforms:

I cannot be a 'Believer' because there is no provable evidence that anything exists outside the bounds of the realms of Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and the other sciences we know and understand. Anything that violates the scientific principles either does not exist, or our understanding of the sciences is flawed. Since we can prove that our scientific knowledge is valid, then logically, the conclusion is that supernatural phenomena do not exist.

I cannot be an Atheist because I cannot say that God does not exist in any form. God does exist as a concept, as does Jesus, Judaism, Islam, etc... To deny the existence of these conepts is illogical, and would be a false assumption.

I cannot be an Agnostic because to do so, I would have to allow for the possibility of the existence of something outside the realms of science, which is clearly improbable. The chances of something like that existing are as close to zero as it is possible to get.

So, if I have to pick something to be classified as, it would have to be a scientist.

Edited by Gigmaster

Sherapy

I am neither a 'Believer', or an Atheist. Nor am I an Agnostic. I am simply a reasonably-educated intelligent person, and a scientist. Here are my platforms:

I cannot be a 'Believer' because there is no provable evidence that anything exists outside the bounds of the realms of Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and the other sciences we know and understand. Anything that violates the scientific principles either does not exist, or our understanding of the sciences is flawed. Since we can prove that our scientific knowledge is valid, then logically, the conclusion is that supernatural phenomena do not exist.

I cannot be an Atheist because I cannot say that God does not exist in any form. God does exist as a concept, as does Jesus, Judaism, Islam, etc... To deny the existence of these conepts is illogical, and would be a false assumption.

I cannot be an Agnostic because to do so, I would have to allow for the possibility of the existence of something outside the realms of science, which is clearly improbable. The chances of something like that existing are as close to zero as it is possible to get.

So, if I have to pick something to be classified as, it would have to be a scientist.

Question: on the Problem of Evil argument how would you conclude? Atheist or Agnostic?

http://www.iep.utm.edu/evil-log/

Just curious?

Edited by Sherapy

ShadowSot

I can't speak for all atheists of course, but I don't know any that deny that gods exist as concepts.

The issue is whether those concepts exist independently in the real world apart from the minds of their adherents.

Batman and Spiderman exist as concepts, but not in the real world.