Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are we the only species with a chin ?

UM-Bot

It might not be immediately evident, but humans are actually the only animals on Earth with a chin.

The humble chin is such an obvious part of our facial anatomy that most of us simply take it for granted and don't think much about it, yet for years scientists have been attempting to answer a single, fundamental question about this peculiar strut of bone - why do we have it ?

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ies-with-a-chin

Elephants actually....have a chin...

Humans have often felt a kind of kinship and bond with elephants due to the level of emotion they sometimes seem to express, but it seems that there is another similarity between us and them: our chins

https://www.thedodo.com/community/FrontierGap/elephants-humans-chins-1078264395.html

• Like 2

This has already been posted last year around July/August iirc.

Just so you know...

A while ago a discussion on "necro-topics" was brought up. I participated as well as some others.

Anyway the general question was if "re-topicing" a necro-topic was consistent with general forum flow for UM.

My un-official opinion was that it is OK if it not terribly recent, because many users, especially newer users are:

a) Unaware that the topic was previously posted

B) Some users, even long-time users, rarely use the "Search" feature.

c) It is not unusual for the science or opinions of the original topic to have changed since first posted.

d) That's it might be nice to get a "fresh look" at fresh opinions instead of wading through 400 previous opinions, personal arguments, etc.

That being said, it surely is always nice to know that the topic was already previously posted, like you have done.

Curiously (to myself), I had not heard of this topic before until now... I must have been up to something else at the time.

• Like 3

What, exactly is a "chin" anyway, if not the lower jawbone? It's "extension"? I'll have to look that up 'cause I have no clue.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

i know: it has developed because certain members of the early humans acquired more material wealth and so began to strut around with their chins held high.

im quite serious, but explaining it in a funny way.

Just so you know...

A while ago a discussion on "necro-topics" was brought up. I participated as well as some others.

Anyway the general question was if "re-topicing" a necro-topic was consistent with general forum flow for UM.

My un-official opinion was that it is OK if it not terribly recent, because many users, especially newer users are:

a) Unaware that the topic was previously posted

B) Some users, even long-time users, rarely use the "Search" feature.

c) It is not unusual for the science or opinions of the original topic to have changed since first posted.

d) That's it might be nice to get a "fresh look" at fresh opinions instead of wading through 400 previous opinions, personal arguments, etc.

That being said, it surely is always nice to know that the topic was already previously posted, like you have done.

Curiously (to myself), I had not heard of this topic before until now... I must have been up to something else at the time.

you are right.....who cares if it has been posted. now its back. so what. i dont remember the previous thread. we can just enjoy it now without digging it up...ONLY thread nazis care because they can hold their chins high and be super cool and noticed...pun intended

The chin or the mental region is the area of the face below the lower lip and including the mandibular prominence.[1] It tends to be smaller and more rounded in human females, while bigger and more square in human males.[2] It is formed by the lower front of the mandible. In humans there is a wide variety of chin structures, e.g. cleft chin.

In human evolution, the chin is a cladistic apomorphy, partially defining anatomically modern humans as distinct from archaic forms. Non-human anthropoid apes have a simian shelf for example.

Elephants are the only other animals considered to display such a feature,[3]although this leads to debate over the use of the term.[4]

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

This story is about a new study and the source contains updated information.

An elephant's chin is not actually a chin - this is covered in the article.

• Like 3

That topic was about an article presented by a couple of scientists who posited humans have a chin for a specific reason (I think it was because of fist-fighting.) While it is a similar topic, it isn't a general discussion as to why humans have a chin - although the thread probably did devolve to that.

I remember posting in that previous thread, disputing the scientist's claim(s) as I suspect our chin evolved alongside the increasing complexity of our language, and was necessary in order to allow the oral cavity to enlarge and enable us to make the various phonemes that complex language demands.

• Like 1

An elephant's chin is not actually a chin - this is covered in the article.

But it was said on QI. Don't make me live in a world where I can't believe what Stephen Fry says. :(

But it was said on QI. Don't make me live in a world where I can't believe what Stephen Fry says. :(

Whats also covered in QI is that 60% of the "facts" they tell you will not be facts in "a number of years time". Mr Fry and Mrs Brand even discuss that there is no such thing as a fact

editing of this clip is all wrong.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill

That topic was about an article presented by a couple of scientists who posited humans have a chin for a specific reason (I think it was because of fist-fighting.) While it is a similar topic, it isn't a general discussion as to why humans have a chin - although the thread probably did devolve to that.

I remember posting in that previous thread, disputing the scientist's claim(s) as I suspect our chin evolved alongside the increasing complexity of our language, and was necessary in order to allow the oral cavity to enlarge and enable us to make the various phonemes that complex language demands.

To put it another way, those who didn't sing didn't get laid.

It's possible. But at least the fist fighting answer had a more direct impact. I.e, if your jaw was broken because your bone was thin, you wouldn't eat (and would die), meaning those with bigger jaws passed on their genes by simply being alive, rather than having to sing to win a mate.

I'm not sure either answer is right to be honest

To put it another way, those who didn't sing didn't get laid.

It's possible. But at least the fist fighting answer had a more direct impact. I.e, if your jaw was broken because your bone was thin, you wouldn't eat (and would die), meaning those with bigger jaws passed on their genes by simply being alive, rather than having to sing to win a mate.

I'm not sure either answer is right to be honest

"Fighting" seems to have become a popular explanation for the development of chins, or "fists",and other human traits

The idea never makes sense to me, because we didn't have fist fights with hunted prey.

I think hunting "tools" evolved right along with hunting skills..... Things like pit traps and snares ...thrown rocks became attached to sticks and put in slings..... Our hands are too valuable ,and delicate, to be used as Clubs.

• Like 1

I'm no scientist, but I might tend to agree that the human chin evolved to help facilitate "advanced" vocalization.

There does seem to be a connection with the chin, tongue, and certain vocalizations.

Hard to say. An "attraction" attribute? Maybe more than one reason.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I don't have much in the way of a chin... am i less of a human?

• Like 2

I don't have much in the way of a chin... am i less of a human?

Loads of people have more than one chin...........Some have a whole neck full.

• Like 1

Loads of people have more than one chin...........Some have a whole neck full.

I only have a tiny chin.

I only have a tiny chin.

And some have double chins :yes:

post-103357-0-01644000-1454296178_thumb.

It's so we can keep our chins up when things go bad. Same as shoulders: Evolved so we have something to cry on. Hands: To high five at appropriate times. Eyes: To see the best in each other. Ears: To listen to our wives. Arms: To hold them tight........somebody stop me! Before i win the corny olympics.

Are they really STILL searching for chins on animals? i don't get why that is so important.

Why we have chins is for having a place to get knocked out in those ancient tribal fist fight competition about who's to rule the camp for the season.

Without a chin the fight would go on until nobody got any teeth left and which would cause them to die of starvation because they couldn't chew their veggies properly. 30 times they say.

confirm_9e02712db7a9a0e5bd7baa4fb585c27d.jpg