Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History 2 channel going away (Feb. 29th)

Mister No Name

So I was watching some UFO show on H2 and they were advertising that starting Feb. 29th, a the channel will be re-branded as 'Viceland' (only in the U.S.).

I'm kind of p***ed about this. Since the regular History channel only has reality shows now. H2 is one of my favorite channels. Apparently it will still be H2 internationally...but that doesn't do me any good since I live in the U.S. And international broadcasts won't be in English (unless I can watch a U.K. broadcast somehow).

• Like 3

Awww. :C Did they say why?

Awww. :C Did they say why?

A&E is the parent network. They didn't give a reason other than they made a deal with this 'Viceland' channel to put it in their network. So A&E is giving them the H2 slot.

This Viceland channel seems like more reality show type stuff. Nothing to do with history or aliens.

• Like 1

Neither "history" channels have had anything to do with actual history for years. Good riddance.

• Like 8

Neither "history" channels have had anything to do with actual history for years. Good riddance.

Not completely true man.

H2 would have a lot of WW2 in color shows on, I enjoyed watching them.

But yes a lot of the newer shows are just God awful, especially that Bigfoot nonsense.

• Like 2

Not completely true man.

But yes a lot of the newer shows are just God awful, especially that Bigfoot nonsense.

I got rid of cable over a year ago. All the decent channels had gone to ****.

• Like 6

Discovery, History and Natgeo used to have good programing but they put these reality shows on them

and create another network and put the good stuff on it. They try to hook you in to spend more money to

get these channels. I'm soooo sick of reality shows.

• Like 2

So I was watching some UFO show on H2 and they were advertising that starting Feb. 29th, a the channel will be re-branded as 'Viceland' (only in the U.S.).

I'm kind of p***ed about this. Since the regular History channel only has reality shows now. H2 is one of my favorite channels. Apparently it will still be H2 internationally...but that doesn't do me any good since I live in the U.S. And international broadcasts won't be in English (unless I can watch a U.K. broadcast somehow).

Is that UFO show you watched on H2 called Hanger 1? If so then they eventually put those episodes on the regular History Channel.

Even some on Youtube.

• Like 1

There's still the American Heroes channel and Travel channel, thank Celestia.

Edit: And 20/20 on ABC, as well as ID and C-SPAN. So H2 going away, at least for me, isn't a big deal.

Edited by SHSL Medical Killer

I don't know if the History channels we get over here are the same as over in the USA in terms of programming, but the last time I checked the programme listings, all I on both History channels was wall to wall blocks of Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, programmes about people who restore cars and motorbikes, Ancient Aliens and other UFO related guff, bigfoot etc. To add insult to injury there was a block of about a half dozen episodes of the freakin' X-files. I thought at first it was a programme about supposed FBI X-files, but it was the actual fictional TV show with Mulder and Scully. On a history documentary channel.

Absolutely pathetic.

Thankfully there's lots of free good actual historical documentaries freely available online.

• Like 4

I don't know if the History channels we get over here are the same as over in the USA in terms of programming, but the last time I checked the programme listings, all I on both History channels was wall to wall blocks of Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, programmes about people who restore cars and motorbikes, Ancient Aliens and other UFO related guff, bigfoot etc. To add insult to injury there was a block of about a half dozen episodes of the freakin' X-files. I thought at first it was a programme about supposed FBI X-files, but it was the actual fictional TV show with Mulder and Scully. On a history documentary channel.

Absolutely pathetic.

Thankfully there's lots of free good actual historical documentaries freely available online.

Sounds about right.

Thank you, American audiences for popularizing this ****. Good job.

• Like 3

I got rid of cable over a year ago. All the decent channels had gone to ****.

Going on nine years for me. Haven't missed it one bit.

• Like 3

Going on nine years for me. Haven't missed it one bit.

Hasn't been worth it in a long time.

I also do not miss it at all.

• Like 2

It is claimed that all of the H2 shows are moving to H1. So those wacky, reality-show wannabes will still be available. According to their own claims.

Besides, bad TV is bad TV, no matter which channel it's on.

• Like 1

I still love my cable and DVR. There are things like Netflix and Hulu etc, but they don't have NEW programs, and I don't like watching TV on a computer monitor

• Like 6

It was nicknamed "The Hitler Channel" for a while because it seemed to be nothing but WW2 documentaries. But at least they were historical documentaries.
  • Like 3

I still love my cable and DVR. There are things like Netflix and Hulu etc, but they don't have NEW programs, and I don't like watching TV on a computer monitor

Yeah, I love watching HGTV and ID Discovery, they don't have those type shows on netflix and hulu.

Discovery, History and Natgeo used to have good programing but they put these reality shows on them

and create another network and put the good stuff on it. They try to hook you in to spend more money to

get these channels. I'm soooo sick of reality shows.

It's a scam and a scheme. MTV probably is the pioneer of it. The channel's name is false advertising. Ditto for other channels. History is history. There are no discoveries on Discovery. Most channels are little more than endless advertising and reality shows. I like some of the shows on Nat Geo, though. Like you say, you have to pay more to get shows that are true to their channels' names, but even that might become a thing of the past. It's a shame that more selections have led to worse quality. Things are so spread out and thinned out with all of the available choices. By the way, you would think that cable corporations would improve their product since there's so much real competition out there!

TLC was The Learning Channel. These days, I've learned to avoid that channel at all costs. Is it even still on?

• Like 2

TLC was The Learning Channel. These days, I've learned to avoid that channel at all costs. Is it even still on?

I avoid Cable at all costs, junk programming just drives me nuts. I cut the cable last year and I don't miss it at all.........

That's the channel that brought us Honey Boo Boo. They are to learning what MTV is to music.

• Like 1

I avoid Cable at all costs, junk programming just drives me nuts. I cut the cable last year and I don't miss it at all.........

I'm glad that works for you. However, I find some really good programming on cable still.

But I'm still upset that they changed the Military Channel to American Heroes Channel. And then started putting on Discovery and History Channel chaff on it.

But I'm still upset that they changed the Military Channel to American Heroes Channel. And then started putting on Discovery and History Channel chaff on it.

They always do that. They share their reruns. They reorder and repackage old scenes on "new" shows. There isn't much original content.

They always do that. They share their reruns. They reorder and repackage old scenes on "new" shows. There isn't much original content.

They didn't used to, but times change I guess. Thing is, I really wanted just a pure military history channel and had it for a while at least. I'll have to check with DirectTV, maybe I can finagle something without them asking for my limbs as payment each month.

• Like 2