Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1950s 'mammoth meat' was actually sea turtle

UM-Bot

Scientists have debunked the claim that mammoth meat was served at an Explorers Club dinner in New York.

The event's menu, which would go on to become something of an urban legend, was said to have included such delicacies as Pacific spider crabs, bison steaks and even the meat from an extinct animal that was thought to be either woolly mammoth or a species of giant ground sloth.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ally-sea-turtle

• Like 2

After 20 years of debunking "flash frozen mammoth" claims, I'm just amazed that this story of mammoth meat at the Explorer's Club dinner is one I'd never heard.

Harte

• Like 2

I know it wasn't actual mammoth, but sheesh people, you arent content to eat endangered species, you gotta munch on extinct ones as well?

• Like 4

After 20 years of debunking "flash frozen mammoth" claims, I'm just amazed that this story of mammoth meat at the Explorer's Club dinner is one I'd never heard.

Harte

I'd seen it before in so many places from fairly respectable sources I fell for it. Egg on my face.
  • Like 1

Well the race is on between various countries including russia and south korea to clone a mammoth so perhaps one day it really will be served as a meal in some exclusive place like the Explorers Club.

• Like 1

I'd seen it before in so many places from fairly respectable sources I fell for it. Egg on my face.

I'd never seen it. But my point was no proponent of "flash frozen" mammoths ever brought it up.

Gee. I guess I have been arguing with idiots.

Harte

The 1950s when men believed that they could eat ancient mammoth meat for a reasonable price.

Truly, those were the golden days of Arcadia.

• Like 5

I'd never seen it. But my point was no proponent of "flash frozen" mammoths ever brought it up.

Gee. I guess I have been arguing with idiots.

Harte

I have never heard this particular example associated with it either.

I have heard similar ones, like is mentioned in the article.

I wonder if it became such a mainstream story it got dropped from rotation for those flash freeze claims.

I know it wasn't actual mammoth, but sheesh people, you arent content to eat endangered species, you gotta munch on extinct ones as well?

On Grand Cayman they farm Green Sea Turtles, the adults are kept as breeders, the offspring are raised to marketable size for the table, BUT something like 25% of them are released into the surrounding waters to boost the natural population. This might not seem a lot, but only about 1% of hatchlings in the wild survive to adulthood, most are killed by sea birds or fish in the first few hours of life. So by releasing sub-adult turtles you get a much better survival rate since only large sharks can deal with a turtle's carapace.

I tried some of their farm raised turtle decades ago, as a food source I'm thinking it's an acquired taste and once was enough. I'll stick to fish, lobster and conch.

• Like 5

How can these people think there eating Woolly Mammoth when there been extinct for thousands of years.

I know back then we never had all the technology we have today but even in the 50's i think it was quiet well know that the mammoth was extinct

It was, the idea was though that a frozen carcass had been found that was preserved well enough to be eaten.

• Like 2

It's hard to imagine that anyone actually believed they were eating mammoth.

• Like 1

You know there was some movie starring Mathew Brodrick and Marlin Brando about some food club that wanted to dine on an endangered species, in this case a Komodo Dragon, played in the movie by some other large monitor lizard (the lizard's agent wants credit where credit is due). In the end the lizard was spared and turkey was substituted for Dragon.

Just remember, somewhere, at some time, someone in the past ate the last Mammoth, the last Moa, the last Elephant Bird, the last Irish Elk.

I wonder what they tasted like?

• Like 2

It's pretty much a certainty that the last mammoth was not eaten. At least, not by people.

Harte

As I always say "The truth eventually comes out, usually far too late to do any good, but eventually"

It's pretty much a certainty that the last mammoth was not eaten. At least, not by people.

Harte

Perhaps, but we'll never know!

Interestingly, the last Mammoths died out on Wrangle Island around 2000 BC. There's no evidence that they were ever hunted.

Harte

why using sea turtle meat ?, shouldn't they use elephant meat ?, i though the closest extant relative to mammoth is elephant

Edited by kobolds

They actually needed to debunk it? Weird scientists :D

It's hard to imagine that anyone actually believed they were eating mammoth.

To be fair, I have ordered *beef* at questionable restaurants and left with as many questions as when I entered.

• Like 3

On the other hand, I'd love to eat an elephant.

Say, a stuffed elephant - maybe stuffed with camels that are stuffed with goats that are stuffed with rabbits that are stuffed with squirrels. Maybe a few pearl onions in the squirrels.

I'd make the gravy.

Harte

To be fair, I have ordered *beef* at questionable restaurants and left with as many questions as when I entered.

In the 80s I remember a local Chinese restaurant being raiding and inspected and let's just say that wasn't chicken in the Moo Goo Gai Pan.

• 3 weeks later...