Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big prize offered to reanimate human brain

seeder

The key to immortality: Neuroscientists are racing to successfully preserve and reanimate a human brain for a more than $100,000 cash prize

Researchers are looking to preserve and bring back a human brain

The Brain Preservation Foundation is offering more than $100,000 to any neuroscientist who can accomplish the goal

Some scientists say research is still years away from being able to meet the challenge in an effective and inexpensive way

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3435244/The-key-immortality-Scientists-racing-successfully-preserve-reanimate-human-brain-100-000-cash-prize.html#ixzz3zQg7q5kg

• Like 1

Live long and relish feeding time.

tumblr_lckk3hGZyu1qf5ifco1_500.gif

• Like 6

I would be willing to donate my brain (after death) for this cause.

Just hope they can't tap into my memory banks. ICKY... :unsure2:

• Like 3

Maybe the guy that's going to do the head, or is it a body transplant, will tackle this next.

• Like 2

I don't think they should pick a brain from someone who has no ethical, compassionate and empathetic inclinations. There should be a rule that only brains that have dedicated it's entire thought to honest and true, unselfish thoughts and acts toward the betterment of humanity, one who have no responsiblity or incriminations towards the death of anyone whatsoever ... should be revived.

Don't revive a control monger, a member of secret governments and anyone who has harmed another human being in whatever manner.

JACK THE BODILESS, Julian May (I believe, without looking). Good book.

Edited by regeneratia

I don't think they should pick a brain from someone who has no ethical, compassionate and empathetic inclinations. There should be a rule that only brains that have dedicated it's entire thought to honest and true, unselfish thoughts and acts toward the betterment of humanity, one who have no responsiblity or incriminations towards the death of anyone whatsoever ... should be revived.

Don't revive a control monger, a member of secret governments and anyone who has harmed another human being in whatever manner.

JACK THE BODILESS

unfortunately, things like this will be available to those who have the money....or who is deemed important for whatever reason

• Like 2

unfortunately, things like this will be available to those who have the money....or who is deemed important for whatever reason

Sometimes, but rarely, a scientist has ethics. I happen to have married one.

• Like 2

Good money...Im in...

now where do I get a fresh brain?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Have they tried a couple of Vivarin tablets and a double espresso?

I have thought of this many times before, but I'm not too sure if it's such a good idea. If a different brain is transplanted into a dead body, it won't be the dead persons brain, it will be someone else's brain in a dead body. Could you imagine waking up in a decaying body?

It would seem that "reanimation" of dead tissues would be an effort far more complex than, say, reanimation of a tissues "frozen alive"

Holy crap, I rarely post but had to on this one :D

So let me get this straight... we're giving millions to pointless celebrities for flashing their butts and muttering some idiocy or sports people for running around a small field...

But for something with that much ground breaking potential we're offering measly 100k?!?! For a research that itself can cost multiple times that much?!

...even double facepalm can't explain how I feel

• Like 4

Holy crap, I rarely post but had to on this one :D

So let me get this straight... we're giving millions to pointless celebrities for flashing their butts and muttering some idiocy or sports people for running around a small field...

But for something with that much ground breaking potential we're offering measly 100k?!?! For a research that itself can cost multiple times that much?!

...even double facepalm can't explain how I feel

Just goes to show that people care about entertainment above all else

• Like 1

To isolate a brain from body is to ignore an eon of evolution focused upon refining that connection. To isolate a brain from its body is to ignore a lifetime focused upon developing a neural network for defining, understanding, and interacting with the world. The trauma associated with such an insult would likely result in undefined and potentially insurmountable mental disorders. I find the blatant lack of empathy appalling.

• Like 1

So,one would have to keep their own brain alive 100 yrs to collect the 100,000.00 ?

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1

Can you imagine the living hell that it would be to be a mind locked away in a box without body, sight, taste, smell, touch or anything just you and your endless thoughts of loneliness drifting through the celestial nothingness of an unseeing reality, not even knowing if other people exist still, if you are in some sort of limbo or imprisoned in the vast hellish imagination of some demonic entity that enfolds your shell of a being on all sides denying you the release of death all while never explaining what is happening to you.

Let the dead stay dead.

LINK - Can You Live Forever(2012) - Adam Savage as the 1,000 year old man.

• Like 2

To isolate a brain from body is to ignore an eon of evolution focused upon refining that connection. To isolate a brain from its body is to ignore a lifetime focused upon developing a neural network for defining, understanding, and interacting with the world. The trauma associated with such an insult would likely result in undefined and potentially insurmountable mental disorders. I find the blatant lack of empathy appalling.

You could say the same about the development of heart surgery and even the artificial heart. People suffered to bring about what we can do now.
  • Like 4

I think they are going to find, there is more to it than just the brain, but the whole nervous system. I was watching The Brain with David Eagleman on PBS and in one episode they talked about finding the memory is stored in nerves throughout the body. What is a person without memory, not much I would think. I have had friends who have lived their lives as heads on a pillow. People who have lost full function and from what I have seen I, it looks like living hell. I can't imagine living like Stephen Hawking does. Nope, not me, use a shotgun, scramble my brain real good. I am not coming back, thanks.

• Like 5

Ya pretty sure this will get people into a whole bunch of legal trouble.

I remember once when this sort of thing went poorly...

Got to be very careful nowadays.

• Like 1

People are getting pervert.

How so?

• Like 1

People are getting pervert.

Have you got a pervert?
  • Like 1