Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DARPA reveals autonomous submarine hunter

UM-Bot

The new vessel, which does not require a human crew, is designed to scour the ocean for enemy submarines.

First announced six years ago, the ACTUV ( Anti-Submarine Warfare Continuous Trail Unmanned Vessel ) is scheduled to be launched in April from the Vigor Shipyards in Oregon.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/291568/darpa-reveals-autonomous-submarine-hunter

Skynet looms one step closer

And how does it distinguish between an "enemy" submarine and a civilian one? Okay, there aren't many non-military submarines around, but does this mean all those that do exist have to have some special IFF code so they won't be targeted by the robot? And wouldn't this mean the US military would then have automatic tracking of any civilian submarine?

Seems a very sensible idea. From the article I presume it'll just track submarines and won't be armed, although the article doesn't make that clear. Rather like sonobuoys dropped from aircraft, only it wouldn't just stay in one place. It would certainly be a good way of multiplying one's assets, as generals and Admirals insist on saying these days. As for how it would distinguish friend from foe, I presume the operators monitoring it would know where friendly submarines were supposed to be.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if this was intended to surveil and interdict narco-submarines.

That was my thought as well.

Let's just hope it doesn't confuse the dolphins.

Some drones we know, started as unmanned surveillance...and look how they are performing now...

• 4 weeks later...