Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robots to take over most jobs within 30 years

UM-Bot

Advancements in robotics could eventually create a world where most of us won't need to work at all.

Even today, many jobs that once relied on manual laborers have now been completely taken over by increasingly efficient automated assembly lines thanks to advances in computers and robotics.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/291591/robots-to-take-over-most-jobs-within-30-years

"I believe that society needs to confront this question before it is upon us: If machines are capable of doing almost any work humans can do, what will humans do?"

What humans??? World wouldn't need as many now would they?

They become expendable.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year

landing on mars is not the same as colonization. you have to create new versions after landing to call it a colony.

as for robots taking over all jobs, there will be new jobs created. just as it is happening now.

This is a disappointingly narrow view from a professor at my alma mater.

Professor Vardi is painting a picture of physical machines replacing laborers. The Romans even called the working class "mechanicals". In fact, AI is already outperforming humans in what we once held dear as requiring intellect. You don't need a complex body to trade stocks and outperform humans. The same is true for many management and technical functions. What about an AI professor capable of relating to every student on a personal level and maybe handling 5x times the classes and research as professor Vardi?

Prof. Vardi tosses off the offhand comment I guess "we" willl have to find something else to do, all the while thinking he is in a protected position and it is they guy assembling tv's that has to worry. Well those people are not going to have a lot of choices and maybe neither will professor Vardi. If Sony could replace workers with robots to save money, so could Rice University. The only people left with a source of income are those who own the robots. We do not live in a world that will turn all of the unemployed into hobbyists of one sort or another. People will starve, die of disease, or fail to reproduce. Buzz may have the right of it, people, even professors may become nearly expendable.

• Like 1

I for one, welcome our new computer overlords. - Ken Jennings.

Hope they take over all soon!

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

His major worry is about living a lesiure only lifestyle. People that have problem with that could always find ways to vollunteer somewhere. That is what many seniors do after retiring now to avoid a lesuire only lifestyle.

• Like 1

In the cartoon series, "The Jetsons" George Jetson's employment was pressing buttons in some undefined factory, warehouse or office. First screened in 1963, this was based on predictions in the 1950s that much employment in the near future would be like that, and people would be working shorter hours as a result. Well it didn't happen. Married women entered the workforce en masse in the late 1960s and 1970s and while "official" working hours are now shorter, the reality is that many men and women are working longer hours than that, and much of that is unpaid overtime.

Along with the exaggerated predictions of work being reduced to button pushing, we heard of large scale automation. That didn't happen either, well not as soon as predicted. My first experience of a large industrial plant in the 1970s was a coal washery which was then brand new. Virtually everything was manually controlled, apart from some water level systems identical to those in a common toilet cistern.

There was no provision for automatic addition of magnetite to the heavy medium cycle to compensate for losses. Workers had to manually hoist bags of magnetite into position and add a little at a time until things were about right. There was no provision for control or even measurement of the acidity of the water, which turned out to be critical since accumulating acidity from patches of oxidised coal going through prevented the thickener (water clarifier) from working. The first sign of this was that recirculated water was black with coal fines and clay, the next step was for workers to throw bags of lime onto the input conveyor belt and hope they had bunged in enough and not too much. I spent a good deal of time on that little problem.

I finished up before they had even begun to solve these problems. Admittedly that was 40+ years ago.

So I view such predictions with a good deal of skepticism.

I wouldn't consider being broke and homeless as leisure time. And besides, broke homeless people won't be buying the things robots build.

Maybe you will be at home controlling your robot at work so you will still be having employment but you can stay at home :)

Imagine what will happen when your $400,000 robot gets laid off because of the Chinese $250,000 model that rents for less. Then you gotta go out and find a job for your robot while still making the payments and hoping you can afford your robot breakdown insurance until you find it a job. Sounds like paradise.

• Like 2

Imagine what will happen when your $400,000 robot gets laid off because of the Chinese $250,000 model that rents for less. Then you gotta go out and find a job for your robot while still making the payments and hoping you can afford your robot breakdown insurance until you find it a job. Sounds like paradise.

Isn't that not already happening today and the same as people getting laid of and replaced by often younger cheaper labour ?

Maybe the robots will think that we are pretty useless, that we are just using a lot of resources but not contributing, that robots are doing all the work. Maybe they will say: "Let's get rid of all humans. Then it will be a better planet, both for us and for nature.".

Never forget a companies only goal is to make money. If replacing workers with reboots will save them on paying out hourly wages they do it. There is already a push in the fast food industry. Remember its not about the progress it about the profit.

Never forget a companies only goal is to make money. If replacing workers with reboots will save them on paying out hourly wages they do it. There is already a push in the fast food industry. Remember its not about the progress it about the profit.

Its not that simple.

You know why people have two days off? It all starlet with ford becouse people didn't have time to spend money, so he decided he will give one more day off so they can have time to spend there salaries and stimulate growth and make more money by just giving them one more day off.

This is why lot of people are proposing the 4day work week and few companies are doing it, its all about balance and giving people time to spend there money so the economy can grow even more =opening more jobs.

What I am trying to say, if people are replaced by robots then who will have money to pay for the products if no one is working and getting any salary?

Did we have less unemployed people before the industrial revolution? I don't think so!

We are slowly entering a "new industrial revolution" and we are gonna benefit from it.

• Like 1

Its sad that you think of half the people being unemployed and starving and your concern is paying thier taxes aerosol. Be thankful you are working. We dont pay taxes because of the less fortunate though we pay them to the government dont forget that. The bulk of our taxes doesnt go to helping people survive dont be ridiculous it goes to the war machine and politicians. This is the same kinda crap that is rampant in too mant peoples minds. Let me guess you have a huge problem with tax dollars buying people foodstamps and feeding less fortunate because it siphoned a tiny trickle out of our weapons/world policing fund.

• Like 2

Prof Vard said: " I believe that work is essential to human well-being."

I believe he is wrong and say: 'Work is Not Essential - but Creativity is. And being creative can not be taken away from us - so we should be OK.

Maybe you will be at home controlling your robot at work so you will still be having employment but you can stay at home :)

isnt there a Movie about this ? i find it scary ...

isnt there a Movie about this ? i find it scary ...

Yes, the one I am thinking of is called Surrogates with Bruce Willis. Good movie :)

• Like 1

Yes, the one I am thinking of is called Surrogates with Bruce Willis. Good movie :)

thaaaaaaax for the name , i have heard of it but never watched it ...hope i can find it online to view it

• Like 1