Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Choose your poison.

XenoFish

If you had to pick a religion or spiritual practice what would it be and why.

I'd go with Zen Buddhism. Here's why.

http://www.zen-buddhism.net/

Zen Buddhism is not a theory, an idea, or a piece of knowledge. It is not a belief, a dogma, or a religion; but rather, it is a practical experience.

• Like 6

Zen Buddhism is not a theory, an idea, or a piece of knowledge. It is not a belief, a dogma, or a religion; but rather, it is a practical experience.

With the added bonus of getting to sit under freezing waterfalls, being slapped by monks, understanding that trees have a sacred life force living within them and lets not forget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikk%C5%8D-ikki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishiyama_Hongan-ji_War

• Like 5

I like Lutheranism, all the guilt of normal Catholicism with the liberal policies of Protestantism (not needing a priest to intercede between man and the divine).

But I tend to mix a bit of Hindu reincarnation-ism and the wheel of life into my own personal outlook on how I believe deity interacts with mankind.

At the final gate I guess I will see just how right or wrong I was though :)

• Like 1

I like Lutheranism, all the guilt of normal Catholicism with the liberal policies of Protestantism (not needing a priest to intercede between man and the divine).

But I tend to mix a bit of Hindu reincarnation-ism and the wheel of life into my own personal outlook on how I believe deity interacts with mankind.

At the final gate I guess I will see just how right or wrong I was though :)

Nice. I also like the Hindu take on endless cycles of death and rebirth, in the micro and the macro.

• Like 1

Belief in a God who died for ME has always been good enough :) The hard part is he expects me to actually love everyone else!

• Like 8

Nice. I also like the Hindu take on endless cycles of death and rebirth, in the micro and the macro.

Exactly I don't think one lifetime is enough time to take in the ocean of lessons a person has to learn in order to become enlightened.

Everyone is here to teach us something, we just need to be smart enough to pick up what the lesson is. The lesson could be something as simple as don't do the things that person did.

• Like 5

Asatru for me. The norse gods are very human, very fallible, and don't advocate denying human nature. Honour and virtue are things I can get behind.

• Like 6

Asatru for me. The norse gods are very human, very fallible, and don't advocate denying human nature. Honour and virtue are things I can get behind.

One word...

Loki.

:)

• Like 2

One word...

Loki.

:)

Technically Loki is a jotun. He's welcome among the aesir but is not one, nor is he a Vanir.

• Like 1

Technically Loki is a jotun. He's welcome among the aesir but is not one, nor is he a Vanir.

See I'm sure this matters to someone. Just not me.

I'm hardly a religious person, so if I had to choose a religion, it would be more likely to be based on comics than religious texts.

Avengers Loki, ftw. English accent, and all. Come on...that's such a cool helmet.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

I'm about to go full fledged apatheist and stay the hell out the religion sections of the forum.

Well, I have to say it was between Loki and Cthulhu...so maybe I shouldn't be here, either.

• Like 1

One can immerse in Zen studies and not have to relinquish whatever beliefs held prior ... in fact it may even give one a greater expansive view on whatever beliefs held prior ~

• Like 3

Lately, Zoroastrianism ..... its basic purpose :tu: better than others I have encountered .

Their views on animals and environment ... one of the earliest ' civilisations' roots of hermetics (via the Magi ... the root of 'magic' ) , the oldest scripture ( many others copied it and some of their concepts) ... eclectically tolerant , as evidenced in history . IT has a good understanding of what types of behavioural patterns are good an bad and the actual resultant qualities. It highly reveres honesty, friendship and personal contracts and one's 'word' ... and it has great ceremonies, a system of initiation , within this an equality of sexes and great feasts !

1151376126.jpg

SadehFestival1-300x214.jpg

Persian-Cuisine.jpg

• Like 3

But are you any good with a ............ weapon ?

(or maybe I met the wrong type of asartru guys ? )

• Like 1

See I'm sure this matters to someone. Just not me.

I'm hardly a religious person, so if I had to choose a religion, it would be more likely to be based on comics than religious texts.

Avengers Loki, ftw. English accent, and all. Come on...that's such a cool helmet.

..... the Phantom ? :whistle:

• Like 2

I'm about to go full fledged apatheist and stay the hell out the religion sections of the forum.

Oh ..... I thought you qualified quite well for the 'skeptical ' side ...... which has been stuck into the religious forum .

• Like 3

Oh ..... I thought you qualified quite well for the 'skeptical ' side ...... which has been stuck into the religious forum .

It's easier to doubt something once you've tried it. Prayer might make you feel good but it doesn't cut the grass. You might think your god's special little flower but your not.

• Like 4

You say poison, I say mojo. ;):devil:

I like to think I picked, actually I practice what is more of a medicinal situation, than poison. Of course, you guys what I have 'picked'.

Belief in a God who died for ME has always been good enough :) The hard part is he expects me to actually love everyone else!

Is it good enough, if you have some hard parts in there? This is why I couldn't believe in it. When expected to feel something for strangers, who I don't know, is hard. I find it a kin to pushing your innate emotions that are the ones that are honestly there.

I think there is a difference. There is being shown the way to be civil and kind, despite innate feelings, and being forced to feel something for someone who you deeply wish to scowl at or at the least get away from.

The honest ones, who say their feelings but wish to not show actions of their feelings, are probably better off, (in my feeling mind you ) they are not at war with themselves. And others know what they are getting.

My belief, in my feeling, keeps me real. ( again my feelings mind you ;) )

Noooooooooooooooooo! I find you very refreshing.

Well, I have to say it was between Loki and Cthulhu...so maybe I shouldn't be here, either.

You too! Don'g go!
  • Like 2

Lately, Zoroastrianism ..... its basic purpose :tu: better than others I have encountered .

Their views on animals and environment ... one of the earliest ' civilisations' roots of hermetics (via the Magi ... the root of 'magic' ) , the oldest scripture ( many others copied it and some of their concepts) ... eclectically tolerant , as evidenced in history . IT has a good understanding of what types of behavioural patterns are good an bad and the actual resultant qualities. It highly reveres honesty, friendship and personal contracts and one's 'word' ... and it has great ceremonies, a system of initiation , within this an equality of sexes and great feasts !

1151376126.jpg

SadehFestival1-300x214.jpg

Persian-Cuisine.jpg

Big fire, dancing, food, OK, where do I sign up? Actually It look pretty much like what I am doing now with Paganism.

Dancing%2Baround%2Bfire%2B-%2BBlog%2BMarch%2B4,%2B2015.jpg

• Like 4

Don'g go!

shock-emoji.png

So that's what's on your mind!?!

I feel that if someone had to choose a religion it should be one that's not highly restrictive. Even Wicca at one time caught my interest. To me it seemed very simplistic and I feel that a system of faith should be. I never like the idea of it forcing you to feel bad for something that isn't real, like having sin guilt or unworthiness.

There was a time when I simply went on faith. Not the religious kind but holding onto the knowledge that whatever comes my way I can make it through it. Sort of have faith and keep walking. That was an easier time in my life, well before I became overly critical about religion.

• Like 2

shock-emoji.png

So that's what's on your mind!?!

Confused! :unsure:
I feel that if someone had to choose a religion it should be one that's not highly restrictive. Even Wicca at one time caught my interest. To me it seemed very simplistic and I feel that a system of faith should be. I never like the idea of it forcing you to feel bad for something that isn't real, like having sin guilt or unworthiness.

There was a time when I simply went on faith. Not the religious kind but holding onto the knowledge that whatever comes my way I can make it through it. Sort of have faith and keep walking. That was an easier time in my life, well before I became overly critical about religion.

Well, I often felt that way. I think I feel and believe that way a lot. Mostly so, when there are less than easier times in my life.

I agree though, no one should push someone else to feel something, even more so, when it's not there to see.

• Like 1

A loving mix of Taoism, Druidism and Lakota Cosmology...

• Like 5