Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Choose your poison.

XenoFish

I can't pick because i just want to chill and listen to Bob Marley :yes:

But wait, actually i like that Zoroastrianism.

• Like 3

It's easier to doubt something once you've tried it. Prayer might make you feel good but it doesn't cut the grass. You might think your god's special little flower but your not.

I'm not ! ? ! ? !

Harrumph !

princewalking.gif

• Like 5

I can't pick because i just want to chill and listen to Bob Marley :yes:

But wait, actually i like that Zoroastrianism.

Bob Marley was a Rastafarian, which would fit with your name, Sir Smoke aLot of weed. :rofl:

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

I like Lutheranism, all the guilt of normal Catholicism with the liberal policies of Protestantism (not needing a priest to intercede between man and the divine).

But I tend to mix a bit of Hindu reincarnation-ism and the wheel of life into my own personal outlook on how I believe deity interacts with mankind.

At the final gate I guess I will see just how right or wrong I was though :)

Perfect!

Big fire, dancing, food, OK, where do I sign up? Actually It look pretty much like what I am doing now with Paganism.

Dancing%2Baround%2Bfire%2B-%2BBlog%2BMarch%2B4,%2B2015.jpg

It has elements that indicate it is the root of many things. You dont have to sign up to benefit , you can just start studying the ideas and principles and practices ... unless you have access to one of their communities.

I particularly like their 'purpose of life' ... not to fear God, praise God, work towards a place in heaven, etc but ; "

Purpose of Life

Goodness in Action

The purpose of life is to work towards achieving the best existence we can envision. Working to achieve the best existence includes striving to achieve individual excellence and excellence for all; working tirelessly and diligently to help build a world free from want, fear, and evil; preserving and

and "Abiding happiness and peace is theirs who choose goodness for its own sake - without expectation of any reward.

Zarathushtra: "With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. Consider the most enlightened thoughts. Then choose your path, person by person, each for oneself."

Eternal Enlightenment - Ageless Wisdom

• The way of life suggested by Zoroastrianism is based on achieving six ideals:

‥ a
good mind
: a positive attitude and gaining wisdom

principled living
: honesty, honest work, helpfulness, moderation and balance

independence
: self-reliance and leadership

serenity
and happiness

wholeness
: healthy and holistic living

‥ an
undying spirit

• Included in the ideal of independence is autonomy: not being beholden to anyone, not being a slave to any dogma, and having the sovereignty to make free and independent decisions - all within the self-elected bounds of ethical values, goodness, and not causing harm to others. The ideal of self-reliance is balanced with helping the less fortunate maintain their independence and dignity.

• This way of life gives effect and meaning to the creed: to commit to a life based on good thoughts, good words and good deeds.

• The effectiveness of a person's beliefs is demonstrated in one's deeds. While praying helps to reaffirm beliefs, a life based on good deeds is prayer in action. Our lives are the temples of our souls.

In short:

• Zoroastrianism lights the path towards an active, meaningful life grounded in wisdom, goodness and wellness.

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/

• Like 1

Exactly I don't think Althotime is enough time to take in the ocean of lessons a person has to learn in order to become enlightened.

Everyone is here to teach us something, we just need to be smart enough to pick up what the lesson is. The lesson could be something as simple as don't do the things that person did.

Again, love your perspective.

Freudian slip or I'm the one with the dirty mind.

tumblr_inline_mme8w97tcg1qz4rgp.gif

:blush: :blush: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I'm a bad English major!!! LOL LOL LOL!

( I love your DT memes! :D:devil: )

• Like 1

Well if i could live in a society free of any religious prejudice i would take a strong dose of Jainism, combine it with an almost equal dose of Buddhism, mix in some paganism and a dash of gaeanism/gaiaism ( for a touch of the ancient and the modern cuisine), and stir well.

Given the cultural milleu I am obliged to live in, I combine internalised philosophies from all those beliefs, and then practice them as a person who is connected to god as an individual, but operating with Christ as my template for how a man can live on earth.

Edited by Mr Walker

when-i-do-good-i-feel-good-when-i-do-bad-i-feel-bad-thats-my-religion-27.jpg

I believe a system of faith should be based on very simple principals. Something that doesn't need to be interpreted. Cut and dry, Plain and simple.

Do you feel that life can be reduced to such simple principles, and thus that you could live in a complex world using only those simple and clear principles?

For example, What happens when a person feels good when they are doing something they know is bad?

Do you feel that life can be reduced to such simple principles, and thus that you could live in a complex world using only those simple and clear principles?

For example, What happens when a person feels good when they are doing something they know is bad?

Yes, is it not unlike the golden rule? Do on to others, as you would have them do on to you? But then just because something works for you, doesn't mean it will work for someone else. When practice witchcraft you learn, first off, be careful what you wish for and doubly so in the case of others.

• Like 4

Yes, is it not unlike the golden rule? Do on to others, as you would have them do on to you? But then just because something works for you, doesn't mean it will work for someone else. When practice witchcraft you learn, first off, be careful what you wish for and doubly so in the case of others.

Yes Most of those sayings don't really address the complexity of life and people, but i guess they serve their purpose as learning tools, due to their general truths

The golden rule does work if you interpret it carefully. eg you don't treat another in a way that would make you happy but in a way that will make them happy The rule is then applied to doing what ever makes the other happy, because you would want yourself to be happy.

The prerequisite to the golden rule is, " first love yourself," because if you do not, or can not, love yourself, you may not seek things for yourself or for others which are best for you. If you don't love yourself, you might even want to harm yourself or have others harm you. and the golden rule would then have you harming others, as you wanted to be harmed or hurt by them.

• Like 1

I hear that. :yes: I think most of the time, the simple things, in the line of thought, is probably the best way of thought. Doing good onto others, no matter your thought for yourself, is probably the best form of good and love, I would think. I can understand being happy about it, but I think it doesn't matter how one feels about themselves, when they are doing something good for others. I think the major point here is being selfless in thought and action toward others.

I know, it counts to 'love yourself' and that is how one is better adjusted in life, but I think is a side step to good actions toward others. In a nutshell, no one should double think about themselves while helping others. It should be simple, and I think in the end, simple works out well with the better reaction and better life in the recipient of the selfless actions of others.

• Like 1

My answer for me would be Why would I pick a religion ? I don't need a religion most are full of b.s anyway

I'm kind of reflecting on the question here that you asked. The subject on picking a religion. I think it's kind of like my thoughts on choosing your belief or choosing your feelings, in which I don't see how one can.

I get the OP's point and question, and see it more as a reflection on how you believe in what you believe and how it can be something a kin to a 'poison' because of how it's played out in the masses. ( or so I hope this makes sense )

But 'picking' something that is an automatic response to personal experienced reactions and automatic understandable wonderment thoughts of what one personally sees. Like I always reflect on how why one would pick to feel excited about something they actually dread. That's two different emotions rubbing off each other the wrong way.

I see this thread as a way to reflect on why I believe in what I believe..................( and if it's something that might in the long run, have negative results ) *shrugs*

• Like 1

My answer for me would be Why would I pick a religion ? I don't need a religion most are full of b.s anyway

I agree with your post too, but not for the same reasons: I think there is value on all paths even the ones you wouldn't walk.

I try and glean the quality from any path, leave the rest behind.

• Like 5

The fact that I am spiritual but not religious is mainly because my beliefs don't fit into any specific organized religion. I don't feel comfortable in any particular framework. So it's not easy to answer. But if I absolutely had to pick I'd probably say Wicca (which has no central authority, it's peaceful and could be made to fit with some of my Theistic beliefs). Otherwise I'd go towards a very liberal and mystical form of Christianity, Western Buddhism or Hinduism.

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 2

The parties, Pagans party big time. When you really are practicing a religion it is a social thing for the most part. It is a reason to get together sing songs and have a potluck. It is also a place to go and get emotional support when things get hard. I happen to like banging drums and dancing a round a fire in the woods over sitting in a pew... except when it is raining.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

This is more of a fun thing than serious. I don't need an religion either, I just felt like creating a break from the usual yes/no banter.

• Like 2

The parties, Pagans party big time. When you really are practicing a religion it is a social thing for the most part. It is a reason to get together sing songs and have a potluck. It is also a place to go and get emotional support when things get hard. I happen to like banging drums and dancing a round a fire in the woods over sitting in a pew... except when it is raining.

The idea of a support system is a good one, in fact, just in life (religious or otherwise) having support, those you can reach out to on a moments notice-- can make the darker moments of life much more tolerable.

Maybe, I wouldn't commit to paganism, but I'd note that this is an excellent tool and find a way to make whatever path I walked more fruitful by incorporating a support system into it.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

the_wiccan_rede_by_xxlunalovexx-d3cr76k.jpg

People like to give wiccans hell, but I find such simplistic belief refreshing. It's more a philosophy than religion. Sure there are rituals and such. Still it's better than be driven by a system that's generates an elitist mindset and war.

Here recently I've actually thought about becoming wiccan.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5

the_wiccan_rede_by_xxlunalovexx-d3cr76k.jpg

People like to give wiccans hell, but I find such simplistic belief refreshing. It's more a philosophy than religion. Sure there are rituals and such. Still it's better than be driven by a system that's generates an elitist mindset and war.

Here recently I've actually thought about becoming wiccan.

I am surprised it was demonized by Christianity to begin with. I agree it's such a simple philosophy and if you chose this path I think it would suit you.

A good friend of mine today said you don't have to choose a belief or a path because it chooses you. :)

We were discussing my son who is on football scholarship in Kansas and the University is evangelical and it is leading him to questions and we are so pleased to see him questioning, we aren't seeking to give him any answers, we are encouraging him to find his own answers, the ones that sit best with him.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

The fact that I am spiritual but not religious is mainly because my beliefs don't fit into any specific organized religion. I don't feel comfortable in any particular framework. So it's not easy to answer. But if I absolutely had to pick I'd probably say Wicca (which has no central authority, it's peaceful and could be made to fit with some of my Theistic beliefs). Otherwise I'd go towards a very liberal and mystical form of Christianity, Western Buddhism or Hinduism.

I sometimes wonder, if that is how I am. This post closely mirrors me in certain ties.

So, is it mandatory to still participate or be in attendance, if it rains? (Sorry if this out of line, or ignorant, or..... I hope you don't mind me asking this question, GmG)

The idea of a support system is a good one, in fact, just in life (religious or otherwise) having support, those you can reach out to on a moments notice-- can make the darker moments of life much more tolerable.

Maybe, I wouldn't commit to paganism, but I'd note that this is an excellent tool and find a way to make whatever path I walked more fruitful by incorporating a support system into it.

Your post here has me reflecting on something. Of course, it is anything, that people can come together for support, religion does not have to be the one and only on this, there's sports, family, etc. But thinking about my belief system and it's unique and one person only thing, I don't have that. ( We can't count on my 'imagining a group support' can we now? ;):w00t:

But, I guess I would have a belief system that could slip itself into others, I guess, to be able to support and be supported by others. Would that make sense? And have potlucks too! :D:P

But, this is still something I have to think about. Your post has me in a thought provoking way, Sheri. :yes: I will have to see how this goes.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder, if that is how I am. This post closely mirrors me in certain ties.

So, is it mandatory to still participate or be in attendance, if it rains? (Sorry if this out of line, or ignorant, or..... I hope you don't mind me asking this question, GmG)

Your post here has me reflecting on something. Of course, it is anything, that people can come together for support, religion does not have to be the one and only on this, there's sports, family, etc. But thinking about my belief system and it's unique and one person only thing, I don't have that. ( We can't count on my 'imagining a group support' can we now? ;):w00t:

But, I guess I would have a belief system that could slip itself into others, I guess, to be able to support and be supported by others. Would that make sense? And have potlucks too! :D:P

But, this is still something I have to think about. Your post has me in a thought provoking way, Sheri. :yes: I will have to see how this goes.

I don't think support has to be because we think alike or agree, I think support is those few gems in our lives that no matter what we can reach out and they are there for us. They make time for you, you never call at a bad time and to them it doesn't matter if you are a one woman show with an imaginary support system. :) ( loved that )!

I have a lot of support in my life and interesting no one walks the same path, we are just there for each other.

• Like 1