Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Choose your poison.

XenoFish

A good friend of mine today said you don't have to choose a belief or a path because it chooses you. :)

Oooh, I like that!!! :D:yes: That is how I feel, well partly, my path came to be. *looks sheepish while smiling*

I don't think support has to be because we think alike or agree, I think support is those few gems in our lives that no matter what we can reach out and they are there for us. They make time for you, you never call at a bad time and to them it doesn't matter if you are a one woman show with an imaginary support system. :) ( loved that )!

I have a lot of support in my life and interesting no one walks the same path, we are just there for each other.

And now, just as you sparked a gem of a reflective thought, you worked it out for me too! :D:tu: That is something I always thought is how I am and how I believe. I have discussed my view of my beliefs, with friends and co-workers, and they have imparted to me, various places, churches and activities that would fit me. Having like minded spirituals in a setting, is probably close to that. But you're right, support is from what is important within the individuals who give it unconditionally, and it's doesn't matter what the setting is.

( I'm still going to have fun reflecting on the 'being with a group if there was one for my belief' thought. ;)

• Like 1

So, is it mandatory to still participate or be in attendance, if it rains? (Sorry if this out of line, or ignorant, or..... I hope you don't mind me asking this question, GmG)

It depends on the group, but, no usually when it rains we cancel. Especially in Florida, just what we need is a bunch of Pagans get hit by lightning. You know what the local Christians would say. We would never live it down, If we did survive Nothing is really mandatory in most Pagan paths. Wiccan Covens get to be strict about obligations. That is one reason I don't like Wicca, it to much like Catholicism for Pagans. Wicca can have a lot of dogma in it. When you join a coven or a lot of Pagan groups there is a tradition of a year and a day before you are officially in. That way you know for sure if it is really what you want to do.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

Wiccan Covens get to be strict about obligations. That is one reason I don't like Wicca, it to much like Catholicism for Pagans. Wicca can have a lot of dogma in it. When you join a coven or a lot of Pagan groups there is a tradition of a year and a day before you are officially in. That way you know for sure if it is really what you want to do.

But you can be a solitary practionner. Wicca has no sacred texts (like the Bible, Koran, Torah ect.) so theologically speaking it's very flexible. Whether you are a monotheist, polytheist, pantheist, agnostic ect. you can probably find a way to incorporate the philosophy of Wiccan belief in your life.

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 2

Oooh, I like that!!! :D:yes: That is how I feel, well partly, my path came to be. *looks sheepish while smiling*

And now, just as you sparked a gem of a reflective thought, you worked it out for me too! :D:tu: That is something I always thought is how I am and how I believe. I have discussed my view of my beliefs, with friends and co-workers, and they have imparted to me, various places, churches and activities that would fit me. Having like minded spirituals in a setting, is probably close to that. But you're right, support is from what is important within the individuals who give it unconditionally, and it's doesn't matter what the setting is.

( I'm still going to have fun reflecting on the 'being with a group if there was one for my belief' thought. ;)

Yes, I love it the unconditional people are life's greatest blessings.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Not interested in being part of a whatever religion, can't tolerate anymore control and abuse !

It is sad that you found religions to be controlling and abusive. They are meant to be empowering, liberating, and supportive of you. If you find the right one, then that is how it will react with you.

It is sad that you found religions to be controlling and abusive. They are meant to be empowering, liberating, and supportive of you. If you find the right one, then that is how it will react with you.

Go away Walker this isn't your thread. Now leave or I'll have it closed. You will not ruin another one.

• Like 2

Go away Walker this isn't your thread. Now leave or I'll have it closed. You will not ruin another one.

:w00t:

• Like 4

:w00t:

yep .... he has become a ' Wiccan ' ;)

evil-witch.gif

Even as the posters breath

Goeth forth, he perisheth

By the secret sibilant word that is spoken unto death.

Even as the profane hand

Reacheth to the sacred sand,

Fire consumes him that his name be forgotten in the land.

Even as the wicked eye

Seeks the oither thread to spy,

So the blindness of the gods takes his spirit: he shall die.

Even as the evil priest,

Poisoned by the sacred feast,

Changes by its seven powers to the misbegotten beast:

Even as the powers of ill,

Broken by the wanded will,

Shriek about Xenos's thread , vain and vague and terrible:

Even as the lords of hell,

Chained in fires before the spell,

Strain upon the sightless steel, break not fetters nor compel:

So be distant, O profane!

Children of the hurricane!

Lest the sword of fire destroy, lest the ways of death be plain!

So depart, and so be wise,

Lest your perishable eyes

Look upon the formless fire, see the sacrifice!

So depart, and secret flame

Burnt upon your stone of shame,

stone-of-shame-triumph-o.gif

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

If you had to pick a religion or spiritual practice what would it be and why.

I'd go with Zen Buddhism. Here's why.

http://www.zen-buddhism.net/

Zen Buddhism is not a theory, an idea, or a piece of knowledge. It is not a belief, a dogma, or a religion; but rather, it is a practical experience.

If I had to pick???

Couple good ones really, my first choice would be

LINK - United Church of Bacon

b52e74b38392a55148492987b21f1a7d.jpg

Or there is always the Church of The Flying Spaghetti monster, my little sister is an ordained Pastafarian minister.

LINK - COTFSM

2000px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

• Like 5

It depends on the group, but, no usually when it rains we cancel. Especially in Florida, just what we need is a bunch of Pagans get hit by lightning. You know what the local Christians would say. We would never live it down, If we did survive Nothing is really mandatory in most Pagan paths. Wiccan Covens get to be strict about obligations. That is one reason I don't like Wicca, it to much like Catholicism for Pagans. Wicca can have a lot of dogma in it. When you join a coven or a lot of Pagan groups there is a tradition of a year and a day before you are officially in. That way you know for sure if it is really what you want to do.

Thank you for answering my question. :):yes: This is something for reflection for me. :tu:

But you can be a solitary practionner. Wicca has no sacred texts (like the Bible, Koran, Torah ect.) so theologically speaking it's very flexible. Whether you are a monotheist, polytheist, pantheist, agnostic ect. you can probably find a way to incorporate the philosophy of Wiccan belief in your life.

I thought they did have a a text: The Book of Shadows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows

And I'm not talking about what I watched from the tv show "Charmed" And even then, I think it was shown on that show, that the sisters characters were Wiccan.

1xDvGpJ.gif

As a Pokemom, I remember that scene. ( You know, speaking of support no matter the situation, I always got an emotional feeling when we took our daughter to see the Pokemon movies in the theaters. There were scenes of all sorts of Pokemon that teamed up together for one purpose and it gave you a feeling that we all can team up to help and be there. )
  • Like 1

If I had to pick???

Couple good ones really, my first choice would be

LINK - United Church of Bacon

b52e74b38392a55148492987b21f1a7d.jpg

Or there is always the Church of The Flying Spaghetti monster, my little sister is an ordained Pastafarian minister.

LINK - COTFSM

2000px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

I wouldn't be surprised if Bacon became a religion around it. I know quite few people who are all about the Bacon!!! ( I like it too, just let you know. :D ) and would be pleased to see congregation of Bacon worshippers. :yes:

Now, thinking of the Flying Spegghetti Monster, I'm beginning there really is a thing for worshipping food! :o:D

• Like 1

I found that I am better with Druidry. I did a year in a Correllian Wiccan Coven (didn't make the day, it is a long story and we can just say, that coven is no more.) and have done it solitary, too. I have grown in my spirituality. There is as many different kinds of Wicca as there are different kinds of churches and some of them can be very dogmatic. I am a naturalistic Pagan, so I don't use gods or goddesses in my practice any more. I would rather just blaze my own spiritual trail.

• Like 5

Thank you for answering my question. :):yes: This is something for reflection for me. :tu:

I thought they did have a a text: The Book of Shadows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows

And I'm not talking about what I watched from the tv show "Charmed" And even then, I think it was shown on that show, that the sisters characters were Wiccan.

As a Pokemom, I remember that scene. ( You know, speaking of support no matter the situation, I always got an emotional feeling when we took our daughter to see the Pokemon movies in the theaters. There were scenes of all sorts of Pokemon that teamed up together for one purpose and it gave you a feeling that we all can team up to help and be there. )

A Book of Shadows, is a book written by the practitioner or Coven to keep track of spells and rituals. I have one, it just full of old spells and rituals I have done in the past. It really isn't of use to anyone except myself. It is not like a bible where there is only one book that is used by everyone. You can find a lot of books on Wicca and Pagan paths and some are pretty good, but none of them are what you would call a sacred book. Wicca and other Pagan paths are mystery religions, they're really passed along by way of experience.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

A Book of Shadows, is a book written by the practitioner or Coven to keep track of spells and rituals. I have one, it just full of old spells and rituals I have done in the past. It really isn't of use to anyone except myself. It is not like a bible where there is only one book that is used by everyone. You can find a lot of books on Wicca and Pagan paths and some are pretty good, but none of them are what you would call a sacred book. Wicca and other Pagan paths are mystery religions, they're really passed along by way of experience.

Thank you, I didn't realize that. I just thought that was the case. I am glad you corrected me. :)

I know, there is a Wiccan section for books on that in bookstores. And I see a plethora of them in that section. :yes::tu: But, I wondered, and I'm glad you expressed info of that it's more a passed on down knowledge.

Don't get me wrong I said I don't need a religion that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual . I don't need a religion to tell me how to believe and not believe

• Like 4

I thought they did have a a text: The Book of Shadows: https://en.wikipedia...Book_of_Shadows

I guess the BoS is their text; it should contain what they have learnt in it and the rituals they have done ( preliminary intro first and second degree ). Traditionally one was given a copy and copied it put into one's own book, then added to it.

So in a way, it is a 'sacred' book' that is always evolving ... and also in some cases, contains part of the personal record.

But the originals were taken ( based on ) other sources , specifically the degree rituals and the 'Great Rite' ... even the 'Rede' have roots in Thelemic writings and documents. Early on they were re-written and have been adapted ever since. Nowadays a 'Book of Shadows can be anything ..... even a blank book with a fake leather cover one uses more like a diary.

• Like 2

One of the things I find fascinating about Gobekli Tepe .... why did they bury it and fill it in ? recently I found out they did the same with some of the main constructions at Orkney (ancient site )

Neolithic-Orkney-Ness-Brodgar.jpg

This is said to mark a great shift in cultural patterns , some on the investigation team speculate it may have been a time when the 'priest class' arose, and a marked shift in the style of religious expression changed ..... :unsure2:

• Like 1

So now i cant make fair comments or give opinions about how others respond to religious belief? .

I assume you can have the thread closed, but you don't OWN it, and can't control reasonable commentary in it.

I find it sad when anyone, for any reason, is hurt or abused by the society they live in, but religion is a choice. If you don't like one, chose another, and if you don't like any, then chose none.

Your question asked why people would chose a religion.

The answer is almost always; in order to gain some positive benefit from it.

If "your" religion is negative or harms you, or those you love, walk (or run) away from it.

I have found this thread very interesting and informative. It has enabled me to get a better understanding of some of the posters religious beliefs, and particularly how some personally interpret the modern revivals of paganism and wiccan. I haven't found one post or poster who has presented a religion/philosophy i could not live with. Even mystic crusader's beliefs offer him something important in his life, and while they are not for me, I can empathise with why he holds them.and defends them. .

Religions are constructed by, and for, man. They are not there, do not begin or evolve, to dominate or control people, but to offer them things they need, or think they need. Any religion or belief only has the power which people give to it . True, the more people who follow it, the more social, and even political, power it gains, but on an individual level, a religion has no hold on you unless you give it that control.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Go away walker! Because I know that you'll start something and derail this tread. One more post from you and I'll have this closed!

• Like 2

I had several notebooks full of rituals, spells, and experiments I'd had done. Burned a lot of them. I never liked to follow any books or set paths.

• Like 3

One of the things I find fascinating about Gobekli Tepe .... why did they bury it and fill it in ? recently I found out they did the same with some of the main constructions at Orkney (ancient site )

Neolithic-Orkney-Ness-Brodgar.jpg

This is said to mark a great shift in cultural patterns , some on the investigation team speculate it may have been a time when the 'priest class' arose, and a marked shift in the style of religious expression changed ..... :unsure2:

This fascinates me also The temple originally grew there for geographic reasons of topography site etc Over time the religion practised there altered several times and quite markedly as peoples needs evolved and different gods became more relevant, but while the site was convenient it remained One argument is that the population grew too large to be supported by local resources, but the followers didn't want to just leave the site abandoned to the elements. Other theories include invasion ( either physical or cultural ) where the local religion was being displaced by an invading one, climate change and localised flooding, and that the site somehow became taboo

Don't get me wrong I said I don't need a religion that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual . I don't need a religion to tell me how to believe and not believe

You don't have to be religious, or spiritual to share your perspective. You are free to walk whatever path you choose and we want you to share about it. Welcome to UM.

• Like 2

I thought they did have a a text: The Book of Shadows: https://en.wikipedia...Book_of_Shadows

Gardnerian Wiccans do rely a lot on the Book of Shadows for some of their practices but it's nothing like the central role of the Bible or Koran in Abrahamic religions for exemple. The BOS is really more a collection of spells and texts borrowed from various sources (such as Crowley, Charles Godfrey Leland ect.)

I mean even a solitary practionner can create it's own BOS.

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 1