Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Choose your poison.

XenoFish

History is my religion. Wanting to know you and them is my spirituality. Storytelling is my sacred office yet I remain a layman. Woman are my goddess. Demons are my brothers and sisters. Humanity is my mission. Walking and running are my practice. Self is my truth. Hearts are my scriptures. Song is my service. Spirit my guide and operator.

I will to master time travel, friendship, brotherhood, sisterhood, transcending truth or falsehood, loving lover, fatherhood, flying heart, breath, yoga, me, lover of loving and being loved, chant, and servanthood.

• Like 3

Your posion is my medicine. That is how sick some of us are. But hale and whole is who I AM and healing and validating is what WE DO.

Edited by Jessica Christ

.... I don't believe a third of what i think but i know and understand the nature of construction of thought /the language of the mind, both in words and in symbolism

.... Maybe its a function of not being able to think in pictures or images,....

so if its both in words and symbols, that must mean not symbols that are words ... as you would have said something like 'I understands words in their literal and symbolic context, but to say 'I understand the language of the mind both in word and symbolism does not imply 'symbolic words' so then it must means symbols ... which are images , symbols and pictures .... but you cant think in images , symbols and pictures can you ?

:su

Please note , this is about the nonsense in your post ... not the nonsense in you ... so obviously I havent broken the rules, which you pointed out to me ,,,, and also pointed that that pointing out the rules was against the rules. :whistle:

Edited by back to earth

Sometimes the bitterest medicine taste the sweetest. The more I contemplate the idea of religion and the subject of belief. I've begun to realize that there are those who simply want to follow the crowd, the sheep. Then you have others who follow a faith out of conditioning, the slaves. Some people follow a religion out of comfort and find solace from it. Then there are those who need not spiritual beliefs, even there are those that have a spiritual side without a god.

We all believe in something. I believe in the power of words and ideas. That even the smallest ideas can change the world. I realize that even a single constructive thought every morning can change an entire day. I see morning prayer as a positive affirmation, a means of starting the day on a constructive note. Then I think of magick and it's rituals. They are something that empowers the individual. Allowing them to implant a strong constructive thought in their psyche.

• Like 4

so if its both in words and symbols, that must mean not symbols that are words ... as you would have said something like 'I understands words in their literal and symbolic context, but to say 'I understand the language of the mind both in word and symbolism does not imply 'symbolic words' so then it must means symbols ... which are images , symbols and pictures .... but you cant think in images , symbols and pictures can you ?

:su

Please note , this is about the nonsense in your post ... not the nonsense in you ... so obviously I havent broken the rules, which you pointed out to me ,,,, and also pointed that that pointing out the rules was against the rules. :whistle:

You show that you don't really know what I am talking about. and thus your response doesn't make sense. I know a rose is a symbol of love ( Probably read it first some where about 3 or 4 years of age, or saw it drawn on a card from someone) i know a heart is a symbol of love .

Now, have i drawn you a picture of a rose or a heart? No; yet you get the symbolism from the words alone.

I have seen images of hearts and of roses and have a host of roses in our garden. I know what they look like, I just cannot create images of them inside my mind/thoughts.

So of course i can think in symbols, even if i cant see them in my mind. A WORD is the symbolic representation of something. 'Rose' is a symbolic representation of a real rose, just as an image is. ' Red rose" is a symbolic representation of a red rose, just as an image of one would be. . I can know and feel the power of the symbols without being able to visualise them The WORDS contain the same power as an image. (A lot more for me)

yes my symbolic language is written not visual, but it is still symbolic A single letter is a symbolic representation of a sound. When i read poetry i get the symbolism of the words despite not being able to see any image conveyed by those words. When i hear songs i get the full power of the symbolism in the songs but no mental images. ( it occurs to me as i write this that this might be why i like ballad /story type songs and music and not music which is designed to create mental images) I've never been able to understand why musicians make those silly video clips when all the power of good music is in the beat/rhythm of the music, and the words of the songs.

Edited by Mr Walker

Sometimes, humorously and metaphorically, you think of choosing your poison, you think of alcohol. Some use alcohol to numb sometimes as opposed to drinking it to celebrate. I feel, that religion, and belief does that too. In the end, it's in how you maturely deal with it. I think really, in anything actually.

There has been a death in the family, last night. I think of things, that normally metaphorically 'poison', but it seems it might be a small 'relief' while dealing with this sad occasion.

In the end, it's not how we judge others and their belief or lack of one and how they have that in their lives, but how we judge ourselves in how we deal with our own. Right now, I feel, it's a small help and a way of looking honestly at reality of the situation. And the wonderful person we lost, was very religious. I'm hoping it was his comfort and it is something that he ended up in after he passed. If at least, that for his own wishes. :(

• Like 4

TheMustardLady, I'm sending condolence to you and your family! These difficult moments remind us of our frailty, of time catch up on life, of sadness, but also of great memories, sending appeasing thoughts your way!

• Like 2

Sometimes, humorously and metaphorically, you think of choosing your poison, you think of alcohol. Some use alcohol to numb sometimes as opposed to drinking it to celebrate. I feel, that religion, and belief does that too. In the end, it's in how you maturely deal with it. I think really, in anything actually.

There has been a death in the family, last night. I think of things, that normally metaphorically 'poison', but it seems it might be a small 'relief' while dealing with this sad occasion.

In the end, it's not how we judge others and their belief or lack of one and how they have that in their lives, but how we judge ourselves in how we deal with our own. Right now, I feel, it's a small help and a way of looking honestly at reality of the situation. And the wonderful person we lost, was very religious. I'm hoping it was his comfort and it is something that he ended up in after he passed. If at least, that for his own wishes. :(

Condolences Stubbs ;

Unto them from whose eyes the veil of life hath fallen may there be granted the accomplishment of their true Wills; whether they will absorption in the Infinite, or to be united with their chosen and preferred, or to be in contemplation, or to be at peace, or to achieve the labour and heroism of incarnation on this planet or another, or in any Star, or aught else, unto them may there be granted the accomplishment of their wills

• Like 2

I'm about to go full fledged apatheist and stay the hell out the religion sections of the forum.

ok XenoFish, do you mean hell hell or Hell Hell, demon hell or devil hell or satan hell or just simply hell? :innocent:

Edited by freetoroam

ok XenoFish, do you mean hell hell or Hell Hell, demon hell or devil hell or satan hell or just simply hell? :innocent:

Hell as a state of discomfort. As in I don't want a part of it. Though I seem to be stuck in the quagmire.

• Like 1

Condolences Stubbs ;

Unto them from whose eyes the veil of life hath fallen may there be granted the accomplishment of their true Wills; whether they will absorption in the Infinite, or to be united with their chosen and preferred, or to be in contemplation, or to be at peace, or to achieve the labour and heroism of incarnation on this planet or another, or in any Star, or aught else, unto them may there be granted the accomplishment of their wills

Thank you bte

That was very comforting. :)

• Like 2

I like to look at the science section first. Waspie Dwarf does a great job in there. I don't know why I keep coming back to the religion section. Once a discussion breaks down to YES! NO! I abandon it and move on. There are some people who will not change and don't want, too.

• Like 3

My heart is with you and your family, my beloved friend; if you need me text me, anytime. Love you. :)

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

TheMustardLady, I'm sending condolence to you and your family! These difficult moments remind us of our frailty, of time catch up on life, of sadness, but also of great memories, sending appeasing thoughts your way!

Indeed. He was a member of my husband's family, but as with the majority of his family, I was welcomed into it with warmth and excitement. His granddaughter and my daughter have been friends, and he has been a happy part of celebrations. He and his wife even shared their home for us for a visit. :yes: This will be hard to think he's not here anymore. I do like to think, he is at peace with his belief.

My heart is with you and your family, my beloved friend; if you need me text me, anytime. Love you. :)

Oh (((HUGS))) Sheri! You are the best. I should have said that to you earlier. Thank you. My heart is constantly thinking of my hubby and his aunt, cousins, and others. :(

Thank you again.

• Like 1

Frida Kahlo said "I tried to drown my sorrows but the b******* learned to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling."

So many poisons to choose from really. I've tried on innumerable occasions to drown my sorrows, worries and doubts, confusions in any number of activities: booze, cannabis, dance, sex, hiking, swimming... and when seriously desperate, philosophy and at times even, sadly, dogma... but turns out, the little buggers float on all that and thrive even stronger when I engage in any pursuit to rise up, or fight against them. The very process of resistance slows down the flow of energy through a system and thus prolong the experience of it, especially it seems, emotionally and mentally speaking.

When I simply sit with them, offering no resistance and no thing to them, other than my presence and awareness, they lose their teeth and shape, their seeming power dissolves and the only thing remaining, is my presence and awareness. Thoughts and emotions are like clouds, impermanent and insubstantial. Presence and awareness are abiding, foundationally experiential, underlying all the definitions and mental clattering of word based emotionally tied thought forms.

I'm trying out another poison of late, which it seems came to me out of sheer exhaustion, some mysterious inspiration, or necessity...

Release.

Simply abide in that presence and awareness which is inherently me and allow the rest to settle, simply fall away, like opening my hand to the sunshine... the heavy bag it was grasping drops away effortlessly.

muddiest waters

left undisturbed by process

rest in clarity

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear of the sad news M'Lady.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of the sad news M'Lady.

Thank you Sweetie!! :)
  • Like 1

I have studied with many different religions, exploring each to see what I liked. That being said, I choose Christianity. It has filled a void in my life and I appreciate the teachings of Christ. I have a personal relationship and I feel it makes me a better person overall. I'm far from perfect, I treat others the way I want to be treated, respectfully. Yes, I still struggle with loving people who are unlovable and it's very hard to forgive someone who has wronged me. But once I let go of those feelings I find that my life is much richer.

• Like 4

I have studied with many different religions, exploring each to see what I liked. That being said, I choose Christianity. It has filled a void in my life and I appreciate the teachings of Christ. I have a personal relationship and I feel it makes me a better person overall. I'm far from perfect, I treat others the way I want to be treated, respectfully. Yes, I still struggle with loving people who are unlovable and it's very hard to forgive someone who has wronged me. But once I let go of those feelings I find that my life is much richer.

Yes, I would say letting go is an authentic way of the religious mind. A problem can be that when we choose a religion this can be substituting one way for another. We can be just as obstinate within our religious choice if we carry on our old personality into our new religion.

Religion is a fundamental change. If we're the same old person but with a new set of clothes, religion will have no meaning for us. Religion should set us free of our previous self. I think perhaps this doesn't happen very often.

• Like 2

StarMountainKid:

tcgram said:

Yes, I would say letting go is an authentic way of the religious mind. A problem can be that when we choose a religion this can be substituting one way for another. We can be just as obstinate within our religious choice if we carry on our old personality into our new religion.

Religion is a fundamental change. If we're the same old person but with a new set of clothes, religion will have no meaning for us. Religion should set us free of our previous self. I think perhaps this doesn't happen very often.

I find this interesting. I can see where tcgram is speaking. ( although, I'm like her on how I feel about forgiving, my belief doesn't simply try to just go through the motions of forgiving, it tells me not to, if I don't feel it. It's not that harmful, I think, it just doesn't say I have a right to hurt them. In fact, there is no excuse to hurt them )

I may see how one could put on a religion like a new wardrobe, as you put it, but can you see if it actually changes a person. I feel, that my belief has changed certain ways I look at life. The reality tv show, 'What Not to Wear' seems to imply that being directed to wear a clothes a certain way, also will help you look differently at yourself. ( I kind of see that, kind of not, but I get what the message is )

I guess I see your point and see that it could do that, and not only that, be it positive or negative. I do feel, it's the point of view within it.

• Like 1