Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU referendum: 23 June date set for UK vote

Still Waters

56% in favor? That's pretty significant.

Will the UK put out EU citizens who are lazing about the British landscape/cityscape?

In reference to the poll percentages, the Margins on the day will probably be close. But its hard to tell. If we Vote to leave under EU rules. we have to inform the EU officially we are leaving, at that point it triggers the official two years of negotiations between the EU and UK. the Negotiations can go on longer under certain circumstances. But i guess the UK regarding EU citizens, those not working can be barred from receiving UK benefits. this would leave them with no choice but to return home or remain in the UK working in the black economy. Those who are working and have been for some time maybe issued work visa or granted citizenship.

• Like 2

In reference to the poll percentages, the Margins on the day will probably be close. But its hard to tell. If we Vote to leave under EU rules. we have to inform the EU officially we are leaving, at that point it triggers the official two years of negotiations between the EU and UK. the Negotiations can go on longer under certain circumstances. But i guess the UK regarding EU citizens, those not working can be barred from receiving UK benefits. this would leave them with no choice but to return home or remain in the UK working in the black economy. Those who are working and have been for some time maybe issued work visa or granted citizenship.

Worrying thing is if we vote to leave and have 2 years of negotiations what is the betting the EU dangles some more carrots in front of our faces forcing a second vote?

There again it probably takes two years to get them to attend.

Yet again caught on camera MEP's signing in to collect their £258 expenses for attending meetings then immediately leaving after doing nothing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10141790/Fury-caught-on-film-as-MEPs-sign-in-and-slope-off.html

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

Worrying thing is if we vote to leave and have 2 years of negotiations what is the betting the EU dangles some more carrots in front of our faces forcing a second vote?

well we can only go by past events, Whenever there as been a referendum, the Dutch said No, the French said No, they changed the title and pushed on regardless. then we have the Irish, Voted no, and where made to vote again.

A second vote is a real possibility or they'll offer us such a "good deal" our Government wouldn't risk losing a second vote and we'd rejoin before we left. with the Government denying the referendum results on technicalities.

• Like 1

Question: Can EU citizens buy property/home in the UK, or if they are not UK citizens are they forced to rent?

Question: Can EU citizens buy property/home in the UK, or if they are not UK citizens are they forced to rent?

Anyone can buy property in the UK as far as I am aware. In fact there is a massive problem of developers gaining permission to build housing on the back of a housing shortage and then exclusively marketing their properties in Hong Kong etc.

These are now known as Brick Gold properties and are kept and sold as investments without ever being lived in.

Edited by skookum

This will be my first time voting, never felt motivated to vote before but I want out of EU which in my view is just a ploy to take control of Europe under one umbrella which has malevolent motives for Europe and its peoples. Essentially their goal is to genocide the native peoples through uncontrolled immigration, crash the economy and take all power from the peoples to control their own country's.

Edited by Zinc12
  • Like 2

Boris has certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

Whatever you think about him and his unique style he has shown convincingly he can win votes. Twice fighting off Red ken who many believed would be London mayor for life has shown he is capable of winning a vote.

I bet there are a few things twitching in No 10 now. A carefully timed referendum looked an almost certainty win for the In supports. Now that certainty doesn't look as concrete as before.

• Like 2

Not to mention how, if he swings the vote, it'd make Mr. C's position look very tenuous, wouldn't it. And now that the Boris will be free since he's not standing for re-election as Mayor ...

• Like 1

Boris has certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

Whatever you think about him and his unique style he has shown convincingly he can win votes. Twice fighting off Red ken who many believed would be London mayor for life has shown he is capable of winning a vote.

I bet there are a few things twitching in No 10 now. A carefully timed referendum looked an almost certainty win for the In supports. Now that certainty doesn't look as concrete as before.

BORIS is a bit of a loose cannon, who usually gets what he wants, but can we trust him ?, the alternative I.M.O. woul be to have LIAM FOX as the net P.M. when Cam goes but will he step down when the OUT vote wins
  • Like 1

I have never really appreciated Boris that much before as a Politian. Mostly because I don't live in London, but his popularity and charisma cannot be understated. I think most people, even those who are not politically engaged know of Boris and probably like him, even kids know him, and parents who have children of a certain age will give a silent nod to Ben and Hollies little Kingdom.

This is a considerable boost to the Out Campaign.

361905_1.jpg

• Like 1

I have never really appreciated Boris that much before as a Politian. Mostly because I don't live in London, but his popularity and charisma cannot be understated. I think most people, even those who are not politically engaged know of Boris and probably like him, even kids know him, and parents who have children of a certain age will give a silent nod to Ben and Hollies little Kingdom.

This is a considerable boost to the Out Campaign.

361905_1.jpg

In many ways, the Donald Trump of the UK..

post-18342-0-33322300-1456153571_thumb.j

BORIS is a bit of a loose cannon, who usually gets what he wants, but can we trust him ?, the alternative I.M.O. woul be to have LIAM FOX as the net P.M. when Cam goes but will he step down when the OUT vote wins

Boris is portrayed as the bumbling buffoon in politics. However he is probably the most clued up. If Boris wins his No vote he will use use it to negotiate terms that Cameroon has failed to deliver. Boris and the UK will be firmly in the driving seat, either give us something in concrete for a second referendum or reap what the financial markets will do to a Europe with the 5th largest economy dropping out alongside propping up basket case economies like Greece, Portugal, Spain etc.

Cameroon has delivered nothing, policies that might go through if a stay in vote is one. The Tories, Labour and Liberals need a major scaremongering campaign now to win the vote.

Give it a month or so and 5 million of us will have our jobs threatened by a Brexit. That is all the in camp can really play on now as they negotiated nothing that hasn't been immediately seen through. It is not Camerons fault, just that the UK is an island on the outside which Europe is happy to take the money from but unhappy to listen too.

• Like 2

We have to remember David Cameron wasn't expected to win the election. 2010 (coalition) and become the Prime Minister. The Conservative Party were looking for someone to just steady the (party) ship after the leaderships of William Hague, Ian Duncan Smith & Michael Howard. until they were ready for Government. The 2010 election win came as a surprise. But after 13 years of not winning an election, they didn't want to start infighting in the party. So they rallied behind Cameron, whose a Conservative with a small c.

In my view If he loses this Referendum vote, he has to step down. especially when more than half of the Parliamentary Conservative Party are Voting to Leave.

• Like 1

Boris is portrayed as the bumbling buffoon in politics. However he is probably the most clued up. If Boris wins his No vote he will use use it to negotiate terms that Cameroon has failed to deliver. Boris and the UK will be firmly in the driving seat, either give us something in concrete for a second referendum or reap what the financial markets will do to a Europe with the 5th largest economy dropping out alongside propping up basket case economies like Greece, Portugal, Spain etc.

Cameroon has delivered nothing, policies that might go through if a stay in vote is one. The Tories, Labour and Liberals need a major scaremongering campaign now to win the vote.

Give it a month or so and 5 million of us will have our jobs threatened by a Brexit. That is all the in camp can really play on now as they negotiated nothing that hasn't been immediately seen through. It is not Camerons fault, just that the UK is an island on the outside which Europe is happy to take the money from but unhappy to listen too.

When the Out vote is won Europe will sit up and realise that it will be the first time since the Battle of Waterloo that we won't be helping them and sorting out the mess that they are in. Maybe the £ millions we send them every month can be diverted to our failing N.H.S (caused by immigrants jumping on the band wagon for freebie medical care when they arrive here)
  • Like 2

We have to remember David Cameron wasn't expected to win the election. 2010 (coalition) and become the Prime Minister. The Conservative Party were looking for someone to just steady the (party) ship after the leaderships of William Hague, Ian Duncan Smith & Michael Howard. until they were ready for Government. The 2010 election win came as a surprise. But after 13 years of not winning an election, they didn't want to start infighting in the party. So they rallied behind Cameron, whose a Conservative with a small c.

In my view If he loses this Referendum vote, he has to step down. especially when more than half of the Parliamentary Conservative Party are Voting to Leave.

Basically if Boris wins he is a certainty as the next PM if it is a Conservative Government.

The EU has destroyed our Farmers and fisherman, the very people who almost brought the UK to its knees with the fuel protests. These are generational skills that can't be taught in colleges or Universities. People are feed up with UK business being destroyed to favour poor quality products from poorer nations who do not abide by rules and welfare.

Camerons so-called deal has fallen apart before the campaign has started. Put it this way, would you borrow money or services where the re-payments would only be agreed after you signed on the dotted line?

Basically the pathetic offer made to the UK when our membership is on the line. The pro-Europeans who feel good riddance to the UK I have to ask, why has Germany spent a fortune on Greece who they know can never pay the money back? They feared a Grexit which is a bankrupt economy would destroy the EU. If this is the case what on Earth would happen if a net contributor was to leave?

• Like 2

Basically if Boris wins he is a certainty as the next PM if it is a Conservative Government.

The EU has destroyed our Farmers and fisherman, the very people who almost brought the UK to its knees with the fuel protests. These are generational skills that can't be taught in colleges or Universities. People are feed up with UK business being destroyed to favour poor quality products from poorer nations who do not abide by rules and welfare.

Camerons so-called deal has fallen apart before the campaign has started. Put it this way, would you borrow money or services where the re-payments would only be agreed after you signed on the dotted line?

Basically the pathetic offer made to the UK when our membership is on the line. The pro-Europeans who feel good riddance to the UK I have to ask, why has Germany spent a fortune on Greece who they know can never pay the money back? They feared a Grexit which is a bankrupt economy would destroy the EU. If this is the case what on Earth would happen if a net contributor was to leave?

Where the UK sees the EU as Political institution. Germany views it as its empire. that's why they couldnt allow the Provence of Greece to fall. Germany time and time again flouts the rules from Black Wednesday to the Migrant Crisis to the Eurozone bailouts and always does whats in German interest. - Its now high-time the UK does whats in our interest, and its evident that interest increasingly lies outside the European Union.

• Like 3

There is an aspect of this situation that hasn't really been spelled out yet.

David Cameron is presenting this 'deal' as a triumph.. and yet... it requires agreement of all the individual national parliaments to get SOME of it to work, and it requires a vote in the European Council to get OTHER bits to work. As for the "emergency brake", even if the Council voted to incorporate that into EU law, Britain would NOT have the power to "activate" it. They could merely 'request' activation, which would then be voted on in the Council.

(recall that the Council is NOT an elected body; they are all nominees of their respective governments, and hence will vote in accordance with their respective PM's).

And here's the rub; NONE of the terms of the deal will be activated until AFTER the referendum. So,the deal is built on sand. It is an INTENTION, not a binding agreement.

I think this may prove to be a significant political error on DC's part. When the public realise that they have been somewhat mislead, it could trigger a backlash against DC, and a boost to the "Brexit" cause.

• Like 2

There is an aspect of this situation that hasn't really been spelled out yet.

David Cameron is presenting this 'deal' as a triumph.. and yet... it requires agreement of all the individual national parliaments to get SOME of it to work, and it requires a vote in the European Council to get OTHER bits to work. As for the "emergency brake", even if the Council voted to incorporate that into EU law, Britain would NOT have the power to "activate" it. They could merely 'request' activation, which would then be voted on in the Council.

(recall that the Council is NOT an elected body; they are all nominees of their respective governments, and hence will vote in accordance with their respective PM's).

And here's the rub; NONE of the terms of the deal will be activated until AFTER the referendum. So,the deal is built on sand. It is an INTENTION, not a binding agreement.

I think this may prove to be a significant political error on DC's part. When the public realise that they have been somewhat mislead, it could trigger a backlash against DC, and a boost to the "Brexit" cause.

The Whole deal is a fantasy, just a smoke screen for cameron to pull over the electorate eyes. Out I say......

• Like 1

On Sunday journalists were invited to number 10 Downing street for press briefing. this is behind closed doors, a sort of heads up for a coming announcement. On this occasion the briefing was in regard to the EU Referendum The Prime Minister told the gathered journalists that 80 of the FTSE 100 companies were supporting the Prime Minister and signed up to Remaining in the EU, and will be putting a signed open letter in the printed Media on Tuesday. (today)

Well i was waiting for todays announcement, and spot on cue, BANG: Headlines, Leaving the European Union would threaten jobs and put the UK's economy at risk, leaders of some of Britain's biggest companies have said. In a move described by No 10 as "unprecedented" - But hang on a minute. How many of the FTSE 100 companies actually signed the letter? the Government briefed the Media it was going to be 80 companies, it turned out to be just 36. which as now gone down to 35 M & S has issued a statement saying that the signature of Marc Bolland, their outgoing boss on that letter, was made in a personal capacity and is nothing to do with them. So 35 companies signed, But more importantly 65 companies did not sign the letter.

Does this give us a clue to how the Referendum might go?

65% Leave.

35% Remain

Having got egg on his face the Prime Minister like a little child is quoted as "David Cameron has challenged Brexit campaigners to find 36 of the country’s largest 100 companies to back their campaign in a row over a letter to The Times today" - What happened to the 80 companies Dave?

How the biased Beeb should have presented this story - " David Cameron, the prime minister authorised a no 10 civil servant by the name of Chris Hopkins to write a letter endorsing the remain campaign. He authorised Chris Hopkins to send it to each of the ftse 100 companies begging them to sign it. He also authorised Chris Hopkins to issue a press statement that " more than 80 ftse companies were writing a letter of support for the remain campaign, which was blatantly untrue. This morning the prime minister's letter was returned to him with only 36 signatures and 64 refusals to sign. On publication of the letter M&S issued a statement that the signature of Marc bolland their outgoing boss was put on the letter in his personal capacity and it was nothing to do with them. Therefore to date 35 ftse 100 companies have endorsed the prime minister's letter and 65 have rejected it " Go on biased Beeb just for once do yourselves proud and tell the truth.
Edited by stevewinn

Marc Bolan is the boss of M&S?

On Sunday journalists were invited to number 10 Downing street for press briefing. this is behind closed doors, a sort of heads up for a coming announcement. On this occasion the briefing was in regard to the EU Referendum The Prime Minister told the gathered journalists that 80 of the FTSE 100 companies were supporting the Prime Minister and signed up to Remaining in the EU, and will be putting a signed open letter in the printed Media on Tuesday. (today)

Well i was waiting for todays announcement, and spot on cue, BANG: Headlines, Leaving the European Union would threaten jobs and put the UK's economy at risk, leaders of some of Britain's biggest companies have said. In a move described by No 10 as "unprecedented" - But hang on a minute. How many of the FTSE 100 companies actually signed the letter? the Government briefed the Media it was going to be 80 companies, it turned out to be just 36. which as now gone down to 35 M & S has issued a statement saying that the signature of Marc Bolland, their outgoing boss on that letter, was made in a personal capacity and is nothing to do with them. So 35 companies signed, But more importantly 65 companies did not sign the letter.

Does this give us a clue to how the Referendum might go?

65% Leave.

35% Remain

Having got egg on his face the Prime Minister like a little child is quoted as "David Cameron has challenged Brexit campaigners to find 36 of the country’s largest 100 companies to back their campaign in a row over a letter to The Times today" - What happened to the 80 companies Dave?

So now government will use it's muscle to get companies on board? Why a press briefing behind closed door ? Is this not some kind of corruption?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most companies in Britain are small companies, and most of those probably support Brexit. They are being burdened by too much red tape in the EU.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

So now government will use it's muscle to get companies on board? Why a press briefing behind closed door ? Is this not some kind of corruption?

They've done the same with Ex-military Chiefs, the Government havewrote to retired Army Generals, Admirals etc.. Who say we are safer in Europe. - The Government has already had to apologise to a former Ex-military leader for using his name on the letter without permission. People have taken to Internet media sites, internet forums & social media to criticise the the falsehood of we are safer as part of EU.

I said on here before all this started the Remain in Campaign will play on project fear - Job losses, Trade/Economy and Security. they have nothing else.

All thats been highlighted so far is how inept our Government is, and they've been rightly criticised: first it was the FTSE 100 companies, FAILED and today Retired military leaders FAILED.