Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU referendum: 23 June date set for UK vote

Still Waters

EU referendum: Government to spend £9m on leaflets to every home

£9m in taxpayers' money for Cameron's propaganda... ohh sorry, did I say propaganda? Apparently...

"The 14-page document, to be sent to 27 million homes, is designed to respond to public demand for more details about the EU referendum by setting out the facts behind the government's position."

Facts? Government position?

Seems these "facts" are totally one-sided. I'm also pretty sure the Conservative Party have a massive divide on exiting the EU. But hey ho.... on with the Cameron Show...

• Like 1

Yes, I loved that when I heard that. Some Government minion, the Minster for Something, was saying "People have been crying out for Facts, and the Government feels it is their Duty to provide them", but the Government (plus, remember, B. Obama and T. Blair) are all in favour of Non-Brexit. So I'm sure we can rely on them to provide the Facts in a completely unbiased and impartial way, can't we. :st

• Like 2

Bound to help the out vote no end...the British public have known for years that anything sent to them by Government will be a pack of lies and propoganda....

• Like 3

Bound to help the out vote no end...the British public have known for years that anything sent to them by Government will be a pack of lies and propoganda....

At least in the past they had a certain degree of subtlety in their deceit.

These days they are starting to look more like Comical Ali during the Iraq war, denying there were American tanks in Baghdad, when they could clearly be heard in the background of the broadcast.

• Like 2

I hope you folks get your voice listened to. Since this current administration it has become quite rare for that to happen over here. My guess is you won't and you'll be shackled to that sinking morass of idiocy called the EU. If so, my heartfelt condolences. In America the founders put a high emphasis on local (state) government being empowered but after our little unpleasantness in the 1860's that all began to die. Now we practically have to beg permission to use our own land and resources.

• Like 3

The Government is spending millions of tax payers money (where did they find this from anyway?) on spending "stay in the EU" propaganda. It's totally wrong. The Government shouldn't do this and not be one sided. In the end, the British public are easily persuaded and frightened of change, that they might end up voting to stay within the EU.

• Like 3

I was looking on the BBC Website at what this booklet contains. The fact it doesn't contain any positive alternatives to the EU proves its pure propaganda. and i for one hope the British public see right through it. Democracy in this country is becoming - increasingly in name only: I would not be surprised if we voted to leave and the Government backed by the Labour party, Lib Dems & SNP would all ignore the vote.

• Like 2

I was looking on the BBC Website at what this booklet contains. The fact it doesn't contain any positive alternatives to the EU proves its pure propaganda. and i for one hope the British public see right through it. Democracy in this country is becoming - increasingly in name only: I would not be surprised if we voted to leave and the Government backed by the Labour party, Lib Dems & SNP would all ignore the vote.

I understand completely. Over here the abuses (by ALL parties) have gotten so bad that there is a movement to use an archaic measure written in to our Constitution that would allow the States redress, bypassing even Congress. It's called a Convention of States. Essentially it's a process where at least 34 of the state legislatures come together in common purpose to propose amendments to the Constitution. My guess is that these self serving rats are so power hungry they would ignore any action from such a convention. Every so often, the only answer is revolution.

Its been interesting, The Dutch held a referendum vote on the EU partnership deal with Ukraine. the Dutch voted 61% against a EU deal. within hours of the vote the Ukrainian leader Petro Poroshenko insisted his country WILL join the EU come what may, regardless of whether the European populace want it to. his words where soon followed by German leader Merkel 'The Dutch ‘no’ vote will be “managed as we have managed other difficult issues before”, and the French president Francois Hollande said the EU will “implement and apply” the rejected treaty.

http://www.euronews.com/2016/04/07/france-and-germany-back-eu-ukraine-deal-despite-dutch-no-vote/

Do the EU want a War with Russia? because their going the right way about it. But then again the EU trying to recruit Ukraine sums up the EU's future, they want to offer membership to a country with its economy on its knees, a country split in two thanks to a disastrous foreign policy / Russian crisis. and people want to remain part of the European Union "because its the safe option"

Have people noticed the "remain" campaign are spouting the same line as the government, they keep challenging the 'Brexit' campaign to explain what will Britain look like outside of the EU, Its a question we cannot possibly answer with certainty because you'd need a crystal ball. But lets look at the 'safe' option of voting to remain in the EU in ten years from now....................

As it stands today nine EU Members are outside the Euro currency - Yet in ten years from now, only two countries will be outside the Euro-currency those two countries are the UK and Denmark. within ten years the EU Membership will have increased from the 28 today to 36, we will see, Albania, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turkey and their lining up Ukraine all joining the EU - all of these countries need supporting, all these countries will require EU funding and who is going to be funding this ever increasing Union?, you guessed it, the NET payers of which Britain is the second largest NET contributor to EU coffers.

Ten years now, thanks to Turkish membership of the EU, the EU will have given the right to a country whose 90% of its landmass lies outside of Europe, in the Asia-minor. The right of free movement to 75 million Moslems and to a country which will act as the gateway for the middle east, We will see the EU bordering, Syria, Iraq and Iran. What can possibly go wrong with the EU. Maybe the UK government should have explained this in their recent 9million brochure they sent to every home in the UK, on why we should remain.

The Future of the European Union is very bleak indeed and that's why we should Vote to leave. Nothing can be as disastrous as remaining in this undemocratic political Union which is destroying itself.

• Like 1

Do the EU want a War with Russia? because their going the right way about it. But then again the EU trying to recruit Ukraine sums up the EU's future, they want to offer membership to a country with its economy on its knees, a country split in two thanks to a disastrous foreign policy / Russian crisis. and people want to remain part of the European Union "because its the safe option"

To be fair, an honest evaluation of their political policies, cultural attitudes (as the align with the EU's), and realistic potential for becoming a effectice part of the trading bloc should take precedence over their current economic problems. Two or three decades is not a long time when trying to restructure an entire country after the collapse of the USSR.

I mean if those variables are evaluated does a Ukranian membership and required EU assistance hold more benefits than subsidizing Greece on a seemingly unending basis? Personally a Grexit and subsequent monetary collapse there would make a planned Mediterranean vacation far cheaper...

Have people noticed the "remain" campaign are spouting the same line as the government, they keep challenging the 'Brexit' campaign to explain what will Britain look like outside of the EU, Its a question we cannot possibly answer with certainty because you'd need a crystal ball. But lets look at the 'safe' option of voting to remain in the EU in ten years from now....................

Quite honestly I think the British Empire would be fine after the short term turbulence that occurs when any trade agreements are amended or scrapped.

As it stands today nine EU Members are outside the Euro currency - Yet in ten years from now, only two countries will be outside the Euro-currency those two countries are the UK and Denmark. within ten years the EU Membership will have increased from the 28 today to 36, we will see, Albania, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turkey and their lining up Ukraine all joining the EU - all of these countries need supporting, all these countries will require EU funding and who is going to be funding this ever increasing Union?, you guessed it, the NET payers of which Britain is the second largest NET contributor to EU coffers.

Back to my first point in evaluation of what the proposed new membership means for the EUROZONE. I do see your point in the relatively rapid expansion where huge outlays by the current net contributors are not only subsidizing the economies of incoming members, but offering the advantages of trade deals to longer standing EU members who don't seem to be able to manage their finances in a manner to make them net contributors also.

Ten years now, thanks to Turkish membership of the EU, the EU will have given the right to a country whose 90% of its landmass lies outside of Europe, in the Asia-minor. The right of free movement to 75 million Moslems and to a country which will act as the gateway for the middle east, We will see the EU bordering, Syria, Iraq and Iran. What can possibly go wrong with the EU. Maybe the UK government should have explained this in their recent 9million brochure they sent to every home in the UK, on why we should remain.

Turkey is one of those weird situations where close scrutiny and evaluation is most urgently required. On one hand you have a huge gateway for export trade into Asia minor. But Turkey also has cultural/social policies not consistent with the rest of the union. Part of it is their unfortunate situation of trying to balance between the two world's they find themselves in. Is the economic potential for trade via Turkey worth the social risk to the rest of the block?

The Future of the European Union is very bleak indeed and that's why we should Vote to leave. Nothing can be as disastrous as remaining in this undemocratic political Union which is destroying itself.

That the great European Experiment needs tweaking/amending is beyond argument IMHO. Personally I think a Brexit will harm the EU more than the British populace. Any perceived loss in trade benefits on the part of the British will be more than compensated by the corporations in those other countries still wanting to do business in such a large market.

Factor in the millions of £'s currently propping up those other economies remaining in Britain and pressuring poorer EU countries into needing to deal in a new British market that holds lower margins for them, but some margin is better than none...

Edited by Jarocal
  • Like 1

I got my Government leaflet in the post yesterday, I actually thought the leaflet would have arguments that would be hard to refute but no, Its full of one sidedness propaganda and it could've been put together by a ten year old. This morning i put my leaflet in a envelope addressed to David Cameron and posted it back to him. with the message written on the leaflet - Dave you are not worthy of the title Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, a Disgrace to the Nation, a defeatist and sorry excuse of a leader. #voteLeave

two addresses people can use.

(Free post)

FREEPOST RSBB-XRZT-ZTXE,

The Conservative Party.

30 Millbank

LONDON.

SW1P 4DP

will Cost you £1.20 (2nd class)

David Cameron MP.

10 Downing Street

London

SW1A 2AA

• Like 4

No matter what we do or how we vote, the end result will likely be the same..............Camoron and his mates are hardly likely to allow us to vote away their retirement plans! It'll have more rigging than HMS Victory!

• Like 3

I got my Government leaflet in the post yesterday, I actually thought the leaflet would have arguments that would be hard to refute but no, Its full of one sidedness propaganda and it could've been put together by a ten year old. This morning i put my leaflet in a envelope addressed to David Cameron and posted it back to him. with the message written on the leaflet - Dave you are not worthy of the title Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, a Disgrace to the Nation, a defeatist and sorry excuse of a leader. #voteLeave

(Free post)

FREEPOST RSBB-XRZT-ZTXE,

The Conservative Party.

30 Millbank

LONDON.

SW1P 4DP

David Cameron MP.

10 Downing Street

London

SW1A 2AA

Interestingly you realize it was a waste of £1.20 because even if 75% of Britons did as you the message would continue to be ignored...

Which is why I am against such globalization efforts like the EU. Someone has to foot the bill, and those stuck doing on a seemingly unending basis eventually grow tired of it. That is just for ever day operation. Factor in things such as repeatedly bailing out Greece who's populace takes the money but does not want to implement necessary changes to become solvent. Toss in migration issues decided in Brussels about how many and who you are required to accept on your sovereign soil, and I can easily see where the frustrations build to a tipping point where the limited trade benefits no longer seem worth it.

Edited by Jarocal
  • Like 1

(Free post)

FREEPOST RSBB-XRZT-ZTXE,

The Conservative Party.

30 Millbank

LONDON.

SW1P 4DP

David Cameron MP.

10 Downing Street

London

SW1A 2AA

I am in awe at David Cameron.

His ability to come back from Europe with nothing on the table and paint it as a victory is only surpassed by his ability to then write a propaganda leaflet offering that nothing as a bright rosy future if we stay in. I'm going to write him a letter and tell him that while recommendung he gives his spin doctors a substantial bonus for their efforts. After all they are really good at their jobs.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 3

I hope Britain votes to leave the EU. The exit will be followed by a few years of uncertainty and adjustment but eventually it'll be worthwhile.

Whether you lean to the Left or to the Right, if your Prime Minister goes to Brussels with a list of changes that he'd like to see made to the contract between the UK and the EU, and he comes back with a few wins, but mostly rejections, what does that tell you about the lack of power of your Prime Minister?

The EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. The europhiles will claim all kinds of things to persuade you to vote stay in. They'll try to worry you with all kinds of scare stories.

The UK would save £55 million PER DAY by leaving the EU.

Meanwhile, the EU itself has not published audited accounts for 17 years. It's a gravy train and there a powerful people who want to protect it.

They believe voters are too stupid to decide things for themselves.

• Like 4

I hope Britain votes to leave the EU. The exit will be followed by a few years of uncertainty and adjustment but eventually it'll be worthwhile.

Whether you lean to the Left or to the Right, if your Prime Minister goes to Brussels with a list of changes that he'd like to see made to the contract between the UK and the EU, and he comes back with a few wins, but mostly rejections, what does that tell you about the lack of power of your Prime Minister?

The EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. The europhiles will claim all kinds of things to persuade you to vote stay in. They'll try to worry you with all kinds of scare stories.

Meanwhile, the EU itself has not published audited accounts for 17 years. It's a gravy train and there a powerful people who want to protect it.

Listening to pbs news on the way home today had a mention of Brexit, though the pundits they interviewed believe a close vote will be tipped toward stay by voters such as the ones you have in Gibraltar.

(Free post)

FREEPOST RSBB-XRZT-ZTXE,

The Conservative Party.

30 Millbank

LONDON.

SW1P 4DP

David Cameron MP.

10 Downing Street

London

SW1A 2AA

I was going to use it as toilet paper, but it's not soft enough.

Brexit supporter 'livid' after his photo appears in Government's pro-EU leaflet without permission

http://www.telegraph...-no-permission/

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

Listening to pbs news on the way home today had a mention of Brexit, though the pundits they interviewed believe a close vote will be tipped toward stay by voters such as the ones you have in Gibraltar.

Leave now have a lead in the polls and the more bad news which befalls the Remain side's biggest asset David Cameron - whether it's on personal tax issues or pro-EU propaganda leaflets - the more the Leave side will increase their lead. It's those two controversies in particular which have seen a slip in Remain's lead and Leave going in front, so let's hope there's more Cameron controversy to come.

If tiny Guernsey thrives outside the EU, why can't we - the world's fifth largest economy? Concluding his definitive series, EU MP DAN HANNAN says forget the Remain camp's Project Fear. The real risk lies with staying in...

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz45hmFjyGe

330F3B9E00000578-0-Images_were_posted_on_Twitter_of_the_leaflet_with_handwritten_co-a-15_1460505121866.jpg

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

With a decent plan for our future then there's no reason why Britain cannot prosper (and do even better) outside the EU.

And if the present set of politicians won't give us such a plan then we need to get rid of them and replace them with ones that will.

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone remembers, but David Cameron is the man who once did a speech to a load of Scots in Scotland in 2006 in which he called the English people "sour-faced Little Englanders."

Can you imagine the uproar had a politician said a similar thing about the Scots or the Welsh or the Muslims? The media would come down on him like a ton of bricks and he'd forced, as his fashionable nowadays, to apologise for his "offensive remarks." But apparently it's okay for a politician to say such things about the English people.

Just remember Mr Cameron's "sour-faced Little Englanders" comments as you walk into the polling station on 23rd June and use your vote to punish the man, the government and the Establishment which hold so much contempt for the English. A vote to leave the EU would be a good way for the English to REALLY offend and upset Cameron and the Establishment.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 4

I watch BBC Question Time last night which was coming from Doncaster. Like I always do, I watched it whilst reading the viewers' texts on BBC Red Button. Obviously, the big debate was the EU referendum. One of the panellists was Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Owen Smith, the MP for Pontypridd. He said that should Britain leave the EU then many big companies will upsticks and move elsewhere. The example he used was Airbus, and he told us that Airbus will no longer operate in Britain should we leave the EU, with a resultant loss in jobs. A few minutes later a viewer from Portsmouth sent a text on the Red Button in which he said that he works for Airbus and that he and his colleagues received letters telling them that Airbus will not move out of Britain and there will be no job losses should Britain leave the EU. He said about Owen Smith and the Remain campaign: "Why lie?" We are getting nothing but blatant lies and scaremongering from the panicking Remain camp and we can see those lies for what they are.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

Reality Check: How many Brits live in the rest of the EU?

In his first speech on the EU Referendum, Jeremy Corbyn said: "There are nearly three-quarters of a million British people living in Spain and over two million living in other parts of Europe."

More lies to further the propoganda. You just wonder how many people swallow this crap without question.

• Like 1

Im just waiting for the Live TV Debates, But the power of the state is already ensuring they get the vote they want. First the Governments 9million tax payer funded leaflet - the Leaflet was distributed before the deadline when the electoral commission decides who the "official parties" are in the referendum, which results in the starting pistol being fired in the referendum race - once the parties are off and running the parties then have to adhere strict spending rules. the spending limit is £7 million pounds. - and now we can see why the Government was quick to publish the leaflet before the spending limits came into force. So the Remain campaign is already flaunting the rules and spent 9million pounds of influence before the spending limit came into place.

The Key points to remember in this referendum - our influence in the European Union has been decreasing year after year treaty after treaty, with more impoverished nations joining in the future, our influence will be further diminished and veto's abolished, we'll find ourselves outvoted time and time again by qualified majority Voting. like we are consistently out voted now.

Has for our Economy, over 93% of the British Economy is here self contained within the UK and doesn't even trade with Europe. But EU rules and regulations have to be applied UK wide regardless.

As for the Money, The UK will this year yet again hand over £19 Billion pounds to the EU. (which appears on treasury balance sheet) of this once the rebated is deducted, and the EU hands us back some of our own money but tells us how to spend it. We end up at the of £10 Billion figure, to put things into perspective. if we left the EU, we would have more than the £10 Billion figure to spend here at home. - but being conservative with our estimate, lets just say we keep that £10 Billion, what could we spend it on here at home?

To put this into context, here are 10 other things we could do instead with £10 Billion.

1. Train over 273,500 more soldiers

2. Train over 132,800 more nurses

3. Train 116,250 more police officers

4. Train 18,656 more doctors

5. Build 19,135 Olympic Stadiums

6. Freeze fuel duty for 21 years

7. More than double spending on local government

8. Build HS3, and have £2 billion left over

9. Build three new aircraft carriers

10. Abolish tobacco duty outright

Reduce our foreign aid Budget from £11.7Billion to £2 Billion spending that two Billion on vaccinations and medical supplies only. and the list above is almost doubled. and we wonder why the worlds fifth largest economy cannot afford things for their own population. answer is simple where to busy spending it on other people beyond our shores. in political vanity projects.

1. Train over 273,500 more soldiers £547,000 Soldiers

2. Train over 132,800 more nurses £265,600 Nurses

3. Train 116,250 more police officers £232,500 Police Officers

4. Train 18,656 more doctors 37,312 Doctors

5. Build 19,135 Olympic Stadiums 38,270 Olympic Stadiums

6. Freeze fuel duty for 21 years 42 years.

7. More than double spending on local government etc..

8. Build HS3, and have £2 billion etc....

9. Build three new aircraft carriers etc....

10. Abolish tobacco duty outright etc....

• Like 2