Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU referendum: 23 June date set for UK vote

Still Waters

So a smug commenter on twitter, reported in the guardian, the house paper of the metropolitan elite, would quite happy to see democracy completely ignored? Why doesn't that surprise me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

That is the exact question Ive been pondering now :

Not SHOULD Britain, leave the EU, but WILL it? 

And the answer is that it won't.

They have no intention of carrying out the nations will, regardless of the outcome.

No matter how you voted onThursday this should anger you all-  your vote is all you've got, and it counts for nothing!

It's too late now... whether the new PM triggers article 50 or not the UK's exit is a forgone conclusion...

"Speaking on Sunday, Mr Hollande said there was no going back on the UK's decision, adding: "What was once unthinkable has become irreversible.""

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36637232

Meanwhile, the man in charge of the Uk Economy (!), mr. George Osborne, has been reassuring the Public about the consequences of Brexit. 

This is the same Mr. George Osborne who was the mastermind behind the Fear Campaign, and threatened to raise taxes and Slash Spending if the People were stupid enough not to do the sensible thing? What's that on the floor just behind him? Oh yes, it's a great steaming pile of hypocrisy. 

Osborne: UK in a position of strength

George Osborne

Chancellor George Osborne says the UK is ready to face the future "from a position of strength", in a statement aimed at calming financial markets after the Brexit vote.

• 6 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  
Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube

And talking of breathtaking chutzpah, guess who else has been chiming in and arguing that this means that it's very very important to have stability and, of course, that fabled "unrivaled experience", so that, of course, means that everyone should vote for her as President? Yes, that's right! Vote for Hillary!

20 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Meanwhile, the man in charge of the Uk Economy (!), mr. George Osborne, has been reassuring the Public about the consequences of Brexit. 

This is the same Mr. George Osborne who was the mastermind behind the Fear Campaign, and threatened to raise taxes and Slash Spending if the People were stupid enough not to do the sensible thing? What's that on the floor just behind him? Oh yes, it's a great steaming pile of hypocrisy. 

George Osborne

Chancellor George Osborne says the UK is ready to face the future "from a position of strength", in a statement aimed at calming financial markets after the Brexit vote.

• 6 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Osbourne reminds me of the Iraqi information minister from GW1. 

Osbourne reminds me of the Iraq information minister from GW1.

• Like 1

"Comical Osborne".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, susieice said:

I won't pretend to know a lot about British politics, but I found this article informative about different aspects of Brexit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

thanks for that ----  

will this happen - ? .... from the link ---

One scenario that could see the referendum result overturned, is if MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.

Perhaps this is why the Labour Party is in meltdown because they know it's coming - - - ?
and want to force Corbyn out ASAP - but at the moment he's not budging -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

George Osborne

• 6 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

While this does expose Osborne as the lying scheming manipulative little C U next Tuesday that he is, it's about time someone from the boohoo parade actually lifted their heads and started thinking about making the Brexit work.  This may actually the one decent thing he has done.

1 hour ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

So a smug commenter on twitter, reported in the guardian, the house paper of the metropolitan elite, would quite happy to see democracy completely ignored? Why doesn't that surprise me. 

Well I would like to ignore the law and have a few notable politicians walk into my fist, but hey that's not going to happen.  

1 hour ago, bee said:

thanks for that ----  

will this happen - ? .... from the link ---

quoting myself to add ----- or perhaps politicians who were for remaining will calm down soon and accept the referendum result --

anyway I see Osborne is back in a more conciliatory mood -- :) 

24 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

that's the best you can come up with for your gloat, is it, having been proven thoroughly wrong?

and in related news:

Brexit leaders are walking back some of their biggest promises

2016-06-24T113347Z_01_LON164_RTRIDSP_3_B

In the days after Britain's momentous decision to withdraw from the European Union, there has been much talk of voter's remorse. Some who voted in favor of a British exit have said they merely wanted to lodge a protest vote and hadn't expected the "leave" camp to actually win. Others said they had no idea that the implications of such a vote would be so dire.

But one of the biggest reasons for regret may end up being that promises made to "leave" voters by leading Brexit proponents are being walked back by those very leaders. On talk shows over the weekend, three of them in particular were confronted by flabbergasted hosts over their playing down of integral elements of the Brexit campaign.

Nigel Farage was perhaps the loudest voice calling for Britain's exit from the European Union, though he wasn't officially part of the "Leave" campaign. As leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party, he represented the isolationist, anti-immigration core of the Brexit movement. Speaking to the host of ITV's "Good Morning Britain," Farage called one of the "leave" campaign's biggest promises a "mistake," though he distanced himself from the decision to make the promise in the first place.

Read more on The Washington Post

Lol... seems like the story hours were just that: story hour!

:yawn: How long do you plan to carry on patronisingly pointing out to the stupid Brits how they've been conned, QM? Do you ever foresee an end to this campaign of yours, or do you plan to keep it up until the Brits come crawling back, begging to be let back in to the great club of nations, as you keep prophesying? If nothing else, this campaign of yours is doing wonders for your post count.

• Like 2

And the WaPo, like the NY Times, or the Guardian, all of them the official mouthpieces of the Establishment (the Pravdas of respectively the Washington and the London metropolitan elites) are not exactly bias-free sources. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grey Area said:

While this does expose Osborne as the lying scheming manipulative little C U next Tuesday that he is, it's about time someone from the boohoo parade actually lifted their heads and started thinking about making the Brexit work.  This may actually the one decent thing he has done.

Well I would like to ignore the law and have a few notable politicians walk into my fist, but hey that's not going to happen.  

As Churchill once said all it takes is 5 minutes with the average voter to convince yourself that Democracy isn't a good thing. That was spoken in the context of the large number of uneducated fools who think they know about what they're voting on.

Forecast scenarios are not real. You start with the assumptions which you choose, you input data, you play around with the variables a bit and voila you get your economic outcome. The outcome never materialises as its virtually impossible for a budget to ever play out as you expected. Osborne didn't lie the assumptions he picked, the input data he used and the playing around with variables do produce a bad economic outlook for Britain. That is not in question.

What is in question is his starting assumptions. Who says the Governments way forward and the EU have to comply with the assumptions in those forecasts? We can do whatever we want and if a leader isn't producing we can get rid of him and replace him with another that has better ideas.

19 minutes ago, questionmark said:

and in related news:

Lol... seems like the story hours were just that: story hour!

So? Where is a surprise?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

So? Where is a surprise?

Well, I don't want to rub it in so I'll refrain from answering.

36 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

that's the best you can come up with for your gloat, is it, having been proven thoroughly wrong?

I don't need to prove anything, time will prove as it has always done.

• Like 1

The whole brexit thing seems to be a mess. From the leave campaign backing out of it's promises hours after winning, then their leadership going and the economy screwing up. Not to mention that half the people that voted leave are regretting it and the other half are circle jerking themselves in victory (even though it wasn't legally binding or a decisive vicctory, and we're not out yet). I think the whole thing has ended up being an utter disaster.

If a second vote was done even now, a few days later, I think the results would be very different.

With how things have gone these past days... I doubt we'll leave anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shadowhive said:

The whole brexit thing seems to be a mess. From the leave campaign backing out of it's promises hours after winning, then their leadership going and the economy screwing up. Not to mention that half the people that voted leave are regretting it and the other half are circle jerking themselves in victory (even though it wasn't legally binding or a decisive vicctory, and we're not out yet). I think the whole thing has ended up being an utter disaster.

If a second vote was done even now, a few days later, I think the results would be very different.

My prediction? If you don't the "undemocratic" EU will do all it can that the vote will be respected.

Though Tsipras is recommending the British government to proceed as he did when the people voted down the next rescue package... :P

Nigel Farage is always portrayed by his '''enemies''' (ie the status quo, establishment and their foot soldiers) as anti immigration - but this is a never ending ploy and misrepresentation because he is just speaking up against uncontrolled immigration - (like just about everyone else on both the Leave and Remain side in a less direct way)- but because he isn't afraid to voice and reflect the concerns of ''ordinary'' people who take the brunt of excessive migration when services are stretched etc - yes if more money was spent on services by governments this might not be such a problem - and if more time was allowed for assimilation it might not be such a problem but - just because Farage says what people are thinking instead of making them feel like nasty racists for even having genuine concerns --- HE gets demonized - 

Here he is reflecting what most people thought / think about the EU open door policy - 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, shadowhive said:

Yeah its almost like half the country and most of Europe don't want to see a successful Brexit... Oh wait!

Given that the economy and value of currency is based on speculation, there are not really too many surprises here.  Things will stabilise and given half a chance we can make something out of this opportunity, but the remainers need to swallow their pride and say 'go on show us what you got'!

I have spoken to several people who voted to leave and are now having second thoughts, and why?  Well it's not due to convincing political or socio-economic arguments, it's due to the hysteria that is rife right now.  Not one of the people having doubts could give one solid reason for having second thoughts other than incoherent rambling about the economy and the media pointing towards another recession or being called xenophobic.

If you thought project fear would end with the result, well, here it is in full force.  I just hope those that genuinely believe in themselves and their country have the courage to see this through, and I quote the Late president JFK:  'We choose to do this, not because it is easy, but because it is hard'.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bee said:

Nigel Farage is always portrayed by his '''enemies''' (ie the status quo, establishment and their foot soldiers) as anti immigration - but this is a never ending ploy and misrepresentation because he is just speaking up against uncontrolled immigration - (like just about everyone else on both the Leave and Remain side in a less direct way)- but because he isn't afraid to voice and reflect the concerns of ''ordinary'' people who take the brunt of excessive migration when services are stretched etc - yes if more money was spent on services by governments this might not be such a problem - and if more time was allowed for assimilation it might not be such a problem but - just because Farage says what people are thinking instead of making them feel like nasty racists for even having genuine concerns --- HE gets demonized - 

Here he is reflecting what most people thought / think about the EU open door policy - 

Did you notice Mr Juncker giving a smirk? He was the one who described the UKIP leader as being like a cockerel sitting ontop of a mountain of problems giving it c***-a-doodle-doo all day long.

They will both miss each other, they both found it funny. I bet they are the best of friends behind the scenes.

• Like 1