Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU referendum: 23 June date set for UK vote

Still Waters

3 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Have you taken lessons in how to be this smug and condescending? have you taken an online course in it, or do you just have a natural aptitude for it?

Thanks for the flattery.  I am a natural-born talent. Also, it is not my fault if some people just want to see the world burn.

36 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

Yeah I am curious as how a society unfolds in which everyone gets insulted and bullied who differs from a certain norm or standard. .. Well, guess what, I don't need to know since I can open and read a history book. That's probably more than a Trump voter and Brexit voter can.

I totally reject your assertion that someone is an extremist if they don't hand over law making authority to the EU, allow the free movement of people and endure mass immigration as a result. By your definition most nations for most of their history have been Nazi.

And it is your faulty logic that the political left have used in Britain to try to close down democracy and escape having to represent the electorate. After all if you can label someone extremist you then don't have to represent their invalid views. That changed last week. The political left, and a few Tories, got a shock and the cry babies don't like it.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

I totally reject your assertion that someone is an extremist if they don't hand over law making authority to the EU, allow the free movement of people and endure mass immigration as a result. By your definition most nations for most of their history have been Nazi.

And it is your faulty logic that the political left have used in Britain to try to close down democracy and escape having to represent the electorate. After all if you can label someone extremist you then don't have to represent their invalidated views. That changed last week. The political left, and a few Tories, got a shock and the cry babies don't like it.

"Or perhaps just having the balls to speak freely about things that the politically correct bunch dare not mention for fear of being shamed... "

My post was meant as answer to seeder's remark. He seems to be a defender of the western values aka racism and discrimination.  He claims that in truth political correct people are just too afraid to speak their (racist)  minds.

30 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Have you taken lessons in how to be this smug and condescending? have you taken an online course in it, or do you just have a natural aptitude for it?

Not a snide remark or even a kind word for the people of Istanbul. Of course, it would be difficult to make it into a case of bigotry so he's not interested.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

"Or perhaps just having the balls to speak freely about things that the politically correct bunch dare not mention for fear of being shamed... "

My post was meant as answer to seeder's remark. He seems to be a defender of the western values aka racism and discrimination.  He claims that in truth political correct people are just too afraid to speak their (racist)  minds.

Set in the context of British society you cannot be anti EU, anti free movement of people or anti mass immigration because then you do indeed get morons in Parliament (mostly but not limited to the left) trying to portray you as a xenophobic racist.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

If you must quote me, do so in CONTEXT

One poster said

23 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

it's members have been caught, multiple times, publicly being openly racist.

To which....I replied

"Or perhaps just having the balls to speak freely about things that the politically correct bunch dare not mention for fear of being shamed.

Is it being racist to have private thoughts? Or is it more racist to express those thoughts?

Or is it not racism.... but prejudice?

Racism vs Prejudice
It's really very simple.

Racism is when you believe that you're inherently objectively superior to one person or a group due to genetics (there other things but this is why you're here).

Prejudice is having a certain expectation of an individual based on subjective factors.

Our severely weak society has gone to great lengths to ensure that these two ideas, while wholly separate, become one in the same, allowing the weak of our society to manipulate power and wealth from others.

The trick is very deft and would be beautiful if it wasn't so evil.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Racism vs. Prejudice

Oh look, its catching on real quick

'Britain got the first shot in': French far-right leader Marine Le Pen says 'politicians are afraid' amid calls for THIRTY FOUR separate EU referendums across Europe

Eurosceptic parties across continent will now demand their own OUT poll
    Italy's 5-Star movement has called for a referendum on retaining the euro
    France's Marine Le Pen said today Brexit was 'victory for democracy'
    Hungary's Viktor Orban has called a referendum on the influx of refugees  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3664626/Backlash-against-EU-spreads-political-parties-continent-call-34-separate-referendums.html#ixzz4Cz1IxTFi

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

He seems to be a defender of the western values aka racism and discrimination.  He claims that in truth political correct people are just too afraid to speak their (racist)  minds.

I guess you havent noticed my avatar.....a black man, the Greatest, one who even chose a Muslim name...

Oh and Im white British

• Like 2

If we, the UK, had a population deficit, and hundreds/thousands of spare homes, plus employers begging for workers.....sure, open the gates.... but we DONT. It takes on average a WHITE English person a year plus to get social housing. WHY?

Not enough social housing. Private rentals cost an arm and a leg.... and jobs are in short supply

We have ALREADY had years of mass immigration... Look up the Windrush immigrants fore the start of it, or just click:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/modern/windrush_01.shtml

We have ENTIRE towns that are Indian/Asian/Pakistani.....black/ afro Caribbean, and an entire borough in London that is ONLY Jewish and thats even growing larger by the year..

Ive heard it said that in London you will hear more separate foreign languages than any place in the world... having lived there I can pretty much vouch for that

we have Africans, Nigerians, Ethiopians, Indians, Pakistani';s, Orientals, Yugoslavians, Albanians, Serbians, Croatians, French, Germans, Spanish..Maltese, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs and other mid-eastern types...Turks, Greeks...

And thats just for starters,

The UK is a SMALL country.....about 875 miles long....and it used to be just English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh... but now the lines are fully blurred...and enough is enough

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

oh I was going to say something but I've had enough of this argument. I'm sorry, my argument with the Eu was nothing to do with "foreigners" being some alien thing in our midst that we should be suspicious of. That's it for this argument for me. I'm out of it. 

Someone's going to say Enoch Powell was right before long. 

9 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Someone's going to say Enoch Powell was right before long. 

We would need a Paris style attack before it became culturally acceptable to raise that.

UK economy almost back up to where it started already. So much for the world ending.

The EU is seeing a far worse effect than we are and yet they STILL won't table a deal and are still acting like a dictatorship. Their true colours are showing now lol

TBH I could live with tariffs on EU trade if means we control our own boarders etc. There's plenty of other countries to trade with, plus the entire commonwealth. We don't even have free trade with the USA and Canada and we never had any problems buying/selling to them. The biggest loosers will be the German car industry and French farmers, not the UK.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Finity said:

UK economy almost back up to where it started already. So much for the world ending.

The EU is seeing a far worse effect than we are and yet they STILL won't table a deal and acting like a dictatorship. Their true colours are showing now lol

TBH I could live with tariffs on EU trade if means we control our own boarders etc. There's plenty of other countries to trade with, plus the entire commonwealth. We don't even have free trade with the USA and Canada and we never had any problems buying/selling to them.

The UK has not left yet... no need to panic, the EU keeps sending subsidies, the UK keeps paying its dues.

The only thing that has changed is that all new investments are on hold.

In fact, even Nigel Fromage is back in Strasbourg to cash his 7000 quid a month telling stories.

Business as usual... so far.

• Like 1

Even if investors pull out of the UK where are they going to go? The Euro is much weaker and has been on a slow down turn for quite some time (and will go down even further when the UK splits). If businesses leave the UK after the split and move to a EU country, they loose access to the UK. So in the end it doesn't really help them. It's a bluff because their execs don't want to spend money.

Edited by Finity

Just now, Finity said:

Even if investors pull out of the UK where are they going to go? The Euro is much weaker and has been on the down turn for quite some time. If businesses leave the UK after the split and move to a EU country, they loose access to the UK. So in the end it doesn't really help them.

I wonder if you notice that the UK occupies about 0.3% of the world's area? There is lots of places where you can invest and have no insecurities on whether it will be able to trade under the same conditions 2 years down the line.

7 minutes ago, questionmark said:

The UK has not left yet... no need to panic, the EU keeps sending subsidies, the UK keeps paying its dues.

The only thing that has changed is that all new investments are on hold.

In fact, even Nigel Fromage is back in Strasbourg to cash his 7000 quid a month telling stories.

Business as usual... so far.

Yes, but Farage is the only men to ever enter the European parliament with a clear agenda and honest intentions. 

Just now, Finity said:

Like where?

Like about everywhere except Somalia, Mali, Libya, Syria and Iraq.

People, in or out of the EU we still need food to eat, cars to drive, computers to play games on, mobile phones to call each other and banks to store our money at.

Life will continue on as normal.

Give an example :)

I can tell you that corporations will have already considered it and that is why the FTSE is shooting back up.

Edited by Finity

1 hour ago, hellwyr said:

western values aka racism and discrimination

Well, I guess that's the stupidest thing you've ever claimed and posted.  So, what's your next trick?  But, why even bother posting anything else, I doubt you could top this.

• Like 3

Just now, Finity said:

Give an example :)

I am going to invest in the US of A what I am taking out of Europe (mostly because I am going to stay there for a while). What others do us their problem.

But if you want an example, both Ford and Toyota seem to be eying Spain instead of Burnaston and Dagenham. Makes sense as Spain is the least likely country to leave the EU.

The UK is Fords biggest market in Europe. Moving to Spain after the UK leaves the EU (assuming no free trade) will loose them more than staying. Also many of their engines (which have been massively successful for them, here and in the US) are made in the UK, so they won't want to loose access to their UK based engineers.

Edited by Finity

It's only been a few days and the UK hasn't even invoked article 50 yet.  I'm thinking it might be premature to see any effects (good or bad) at all yet, except for the initial panic.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 1