Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How long could you live off a supermarket ?

UM-Bot

In the event of an apocalypse, how long could one adult live off the contents of the average supermarket?

Surviving in a post-apocalyptic world is a scenario that has been explored in movies, books and television shows for years, but if you really were fighting to stay alive in a world where everything had gone to the dogs, how would you find enough food and water to survive ?

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/291893/how-long-could-you-live-off-a-supermarket

Most of the cities would burn down from lack of humanity to do things like turn off stoves and fight fires.

• Like 2

Oh zombie Jesus, I live in a disaster land. First thing that goes is everything in the store. Believe me if you don't get stuff before the event, you're not going to find anything in the store. You're going to die... Enjoy your day. :yes:

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 5

The grocery stores may be worth a quick stop I suppose. It would be a madhouse, but supplies would be a premium.

• Like 1

Back in the 70's James Burke covered this topic a bit on his show "Connections"... Though he didn't really mention grocery stores or super markets...

• Like 1

Oh zombie Jesus, I live in a disaster land. First thing that goes is everything in the store. Believe me if you don't get stuff before the event, you're not going to find anything in the store. You're going to die... Enjoy your day. :yes:

Being prepared up front is the key.

Even being prepared doesn't rule out the positives of a visit to the store though.

• Like 1

If it was just one, or two people, it would probably depend on how much canned goods, and sealed items the store has. Everything else will probably go bad. So...probably 6 months to a couple of years, give or take?

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

An average person could live off a supermarket maybe for 5 years, but this girl is a zombie killer!

Edited by nothinglizx2

I'd last about ten minutes. Straight to the chocolate chip cookie section... nomnomnom... then probably burst, to save years of post-apocalyptic hell :yes:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

The hardest thing to do without is water. The power goes out and you can't pump water, you can't flush toilet and get clean drinking water, you are in trouble. During hurricane season I keep a weeks worth of water around. They say three days, but after hurricane Charlie went through, I decided it might be longer than three days getting help. I'm an experienced camper, I can live pretty well without power, if I have, too.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

If a grocery survived an apocalypse and you are the only survivor I would say you could live close to a lifetime

thats if you eat one or two cans per day . But again most likely even canned food would go bad after awhile, you probably

end up dying of food poisoning from the cans . I would like to add all things go back to the earth . Bridges vehicles anything

man made returns to the earth from where it was created so most everything in the store will go

Edited by Absinthe
  • Like 1

The hardest thing to do without is water. The power goes out and you can't pump water, you can't flush toilet and get clean drinking water, you are in trouble. During hurricane season I keep a weeks worth of water around. They say three days, but after hurricane Charlie went through, I decided it might be longer than three days getting help. I'm an experienced camper, I can live pretty well without power, if I have, too.

That is one thing I'm grateful for. We don't need electricity for water. If we don't have electricity we still have natural gas to cook with and water heater too.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

I think a more likely survivable scenario would be a cyber-attack on the power grid. If the gas pumps aren't working, then food can't be delivered beyond walking distance. After the supermarket shelves are emptied, city dwellers will resort to eating their pets. (In that situation, Great Danes would be preferable to Chihuahuas.)

Rural-area dwellers have the advantage of accessible water and abundant wildlife. Of course, armed city dwellers would soon be on their doorstep demanding food. In the worst-case scenario, neighbors and small towns would have to form militias/armies to protect themselves long enough to re-establish some of the ancient farming methods that can sustain large populations.

If an attack occured today, I probably could live here comfortably for years. I really should invest in a Berkey water filter (see the link below) so I could drink the water from my pond and the nearby streams. My house has a basement, so the main level of the house stays about 54 degrees even in the dead of winter (when the furnace stops working during a power outage).

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1_Brand_Misspelling&utm_term=%2Bberkley%20%2Bwater%20%2Bfilters&utm_content=1_Berkley_M

• Like 1

The hardest thing to do without is water. The power goes out and you can't pump water, you can't flush toilet and get clean drinking water, you are in trouble.

Some might forget that they have a hot water tank full of clean water...

• Like 1

If an attack occured today, I probably could live here comfortably for years. I really should invest in a Berkey water filter (see the link below) so I could drink the water from my pond and the nearby streams. My house has a basement, so the main level of the house stays about 54 degrees even in the dead of winter (when the furnace stops working during a power outage).

http://www.berkeyfil...ent=1_Berkley_M

Oh my... That's well-thought out. Fascinating that you can have something well-planned out. If I live into a post-apocalyptic world, I will make sure to try and find you. You seem sane enough to live through it. LoL!!

• Like 1

None of those things exist here lol.

Not true......what we call a hurricane you would call a typhoon, and Australia would call it a cyclone.

Three different names for the same phenomenon....depending on where you live.

I think going to a grange, feed store, or something similiar would be less crowded because I plan to steal the seeds I need to make food. I already grow a lot as is and save the seeds for the next harvest, but that would be my first stop over a grocer.

• Like 1

55 years in Walmart, God make my death quick...

• Like 2

I don't think 55 years is remotely accurate with respect to health.

Much less unless you're drinking water and eating honey.

Else 1-3 years max, depending on the item, even frozen.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/how-long-food-lasts-will-keep-shelf-life-infographic#.xd2aWbo4n

I don't think 55 years is remotely accurate with respect to health.

Much less unless you're drinking water and eating honey.

Else 1-3 years max, depending on the item, even frozen.

http://www.buzzfeed....phic#.xd2aWbo4n

I think 1-3 is way low. Alone, I think I can make it 10+ fairly easily. Heck, some of the cans in my pantry are that old. :yes:

You'd just have to think about what to eat first and what to save. Many bags of noodles and such would last many years and still be safe to eat.

Save the Twinkies for last.

• Like 2

How long do canned foods remain edible?

Canned foods have a long shelf life, but that shouldn’t mean that you keep them for several years before using them. High-acid canned foods such as juices, tomatoes, fruits and pickles will store well for 12 to 18 months. Whereas low-acid canned foods such as meat products and vegetables will store well for 2-4 years.However, there may be some changes in quality, such as a change in colour and texture.

http://www.nestle-family.com/nutrition-for-all/english/all-you-need-to-know-about-canned-foods_436287.aspx

• Like 2