Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New monitor lizard species discovered

Still Waters

Mussau Island, a small, partly volcanic stretch in Papua New Guinea's St. Matthias chain, has been harboring for up to 2 million years a previously unknown species of blue-tailed monitor lizard.

The new species (Varanus semotus) can grow to well over 3 feet long and has a black body marked with yellow and orange. Its yellow tongue is a feature possessed by only three other monitor lizards in the Pacific. Adult tails take on a bluish or turquoise hue.

http://news.discover...land-160225.htm

• Like 3

As long as some property developers do not decide to build hotels for "the lizard tour" all over the island, then these lizards will have a chance of survival for a another 2 million years.

• Like 3

Now that we've found them

As long as some property developers do not decide to build hotels for "the lizard tour" all over the island, then these lizards will have a chance of survival for a another 2 million years.

We can only hope..We tend to be a scourge to every other thing on this planet. Edited by WolvenHeart7
  • Like 2

This goes to show that even in our modern world their are species of animals that remain undiscovered.

These unconfirmed sightings of animal species might mean something.

• Like 1

not a dimmed chance. Capitalism is to capitalize the world.

Edited by qxcontinuum

What? And miss out on the chance to capitalize on a tour to see a new species? C'mon, our species loves it some tourist traps.

Monitor lizards, fun for the whole family!

• Like 1

What? And miss out on the chance to capitalize on a tour to see a new species? C'mon, our species loves it some tourist traps.

Monitor lizards, fun for the whole family!

Hmmm AustinHinton, something tells me you have already booked a spot for your lizard memorabilia stall = lizard handbags, lizard sun glasses, lizard postcards, "I walked with a monitor lizard" t.shirt and I love monitor lizard keyrings. And not forgetting = I met the queen of England's cousins.

all made in China.

Hmmm AustinHinton, something tells me you have already booked a spot for your lizard memorabilia stall = lizard handbags, lizard sun glasses, lizard postcards, "I walked with a monitor lizard" t.shirt and I love monitor lizard keyrings. And not forgetting = I met the queen of England's cousins.

all made in China.

Nope! I am just making predictions based on our species past behavior. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Will there be updates about this? I hope humans stay away from that place. How beautiful it would be if those can live in peace. Lizards are scared towards humans, it's just dumb to make that into an attraction or where scientists study them.