Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Scientists have pinpointed a gene responsible for grey hair - a discovery that could lead to new ways of delaying or preventing this natural sign of ageing, they say in Nature Communications.

Hair dyes can cover up greying but gene manipulation may, in future, banish it altogether.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-35687287

• Like 2

Neat. But I'll stick with going grey gracefully.

• Like 4

Yeah I don't really mind the grey hairs either. It is the hairs that seem to be disappearing that bothers me. <_<

• Like 5

I may dye my hair green for St. Patrick's, that is what's left of it anyway!!!

• Like 1

Now, if this leads to a way to slow or stop the aging process, that would be great.

And yes, I do want to live forever. I want to see what happens in the end.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't really mind the grey hairs either. It is the hairs that seem to be disappearing that bothers me. <_<

Yep, better that they turn grey than turn loose!

• Like 2

I love my grey hair and beard. I've earned every one of em in an awesome ride on this organic spaceship.

And I'm really loving the growing trend here for gals to keep long hair grey... yum!

• Like 1

So, this one single gene controls the onset of graying under all normal circumstances? Either this is a little oversimplified or genetics hasn't been this easy since Gregor Mendel was poking at his pea plants.

All this research aliens have been doing on us... We could be there already, at the point where we are able to shut down the genes that cause greying...(No poor pun intended) if only they would share gosh darn it. :P

I really like my black hair but boy does it make the silver stuff "pop" and aside from this I look like a baby faced 20yo and really don't like the sparkles I'm getting. Doesn't match.

I tend to have a lot of rainbow colors in my hair... Let me know when we can make this happen naturally please!

• Like 1

My grandma is almost 90 years old and said she has never died her hair, it's still very dark red. I asked her how that was even possible and she said she was told to eat cabbage as often as possible while growing up. Either that, or she just has good genes, maybe both. lol

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 2

I don't mind the grey hair I have now; it's better than it falling out. if only I could merely keep that mix of brown and grey... seems to be a good balance right now.

@Thorvir Hrothgaard

I wouldn't want to be immortal, just let me live 1,000 years and I would be happy with that.

Edited by Aftermath
  • Like 4

I'm with you. I streaked my hair when young. My genes gave me a beautiful silver. Since I'm frugal and have people say "my, your streaked highlights are amazing and beautiful what hair dresser did it?" I don't fake colors anymore :)

• Like 3

I wouldn't want to be immortal, just let me live 1,000 years and I would be happy with that.

You and me both, I could dig living a millennium or two, granted everything else didn't fall apart around me.

• Like 2

I hate my grey hair,i hve very little of it i started geting it in my 20's

I love gray hair and I think it's very cool and beautiful. I would love for my hair to grow out gray or white. :)

• Like 2

My process of going grey was rather bizarre. When I was young my hair was black. I then started getting streaks of ginger. My wife was horrified (my apologies to any ginger people out there) and then those streaks turned white, leaving my hair grey. I wonder if scientists will discover the wrinkle gene next.

I'm wondering why our hair color isn't as vibrant as I would see in anime (Japanese cartoons).

It's like there's this spectrum of possible colors. Why hasn't that changed? I mean, what does grey hair mean for us, as a human? That question is me thinking in the mindset that a gene is there to help, though I know there are some that are 'just there'.

Just my mind wondering.

Edited by NoNickname90
  • Like 1

I'm wondering why our hair color isn't as vibrant as I would see in anime (Japanese cartoons).

It's like there's this spectrum of possible colors. Why hasn't that changed? I mean, what does grey hair mean for us, as a human? That question is me thinking in the mindset that a gene is there to help, though I know there are some that are 'just there'.

Just my mind wondering.

I think that is an excellent question. Funnily, perhaps it is an indicator like we see in Logan's Run. I wonder...