Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New deep sea octopus filmed at record depth

Still Waters

Meet Casper the friendly octopus. This ghostly mollusc, spotted last week at 4290 meters below the sea surface, is thought to be a new species. It also beats the depth record for this type of octopus.

https://www.newscien...of-4290-metres/

• Like 4

Very, very cool! Although they're using a heck of a lot of light are they not? I'm surprised that wee occy isn't scarpering for it's life.... unless it is, just very slowly...

First Dumbo and now Casper? Someone needs to name a octopus species "meany octo-guy" or something. These poor Cephalopods just can't catch a break, it's not their fault they are seen as cute. Oh well, at least they have Vampyroteuthis infernalis-Vampire Squid from Hell.

post-158296-0-99883000-1457209832_thumb.

• Like 3

Poor bugger, must have practically gone blind at first when the lights went on. Otherwise, deep sea life is most fascinating.

• Like 1

That's a pretty cool looking octopus. I read in a different publication that scientists feel that it could be a new type of octopus. I wonder when we will know if it actually is. I really do like the color scheme, though.

Look pretty fake, the light is perfect, and at over 4000 meters deep down water there is no light at all.

Or else why creating a so much fake representation of the reality? Dumb

S

First Dumbo and now Casper? Someone needs to name a octopus species "meany octo-guy" or something. These poor Cephalopods just can't catch a break, it's not their fault they are seen as cute. Oh well, at least they have Vampyroteuthis infernalis-Vampire Squid from Hell.

"Wait, wait... I got it: 'Dr. Octopus'"

• Like 1

tumblr_n6g1z2Dm061stkhy4o1_500.gif
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cephalopods are awesome. This little octopus looks totally nonchalant however he may be nonplussed...