Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Trying To Clone Ice Age Cave Lion

Still Waters

Scientists are attempting to find DNA in the remains of an Ice Age cave lion cub in order to clone the extinct animal.

Two cubs were found in Russia's Sakha Republic last August.

They were in a state of near-perfect preservation thanks to the deep-freeze conditions of the permafrost where they lay.

Researchers hope to find living tissues containing DNA in the remains, which will allow them to recreate the now extinct Ice Age cave lion.

http://news.sky.com/...e-age-cave-lion

Previous thread -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=287804

• Like 1

As awesome as that would be, why can't we just focus on helping the animals already here?

• Like 3

As awesome as that would be, why can't we just focus on helping the animals already here?

Exactly, what have we to gain from cloning a cave lion when we already don't take care of our living lions.

• Like 2

Because humans are stupid and when we finally wipe out the existing lions we need to be able to bring them back and do it again I suppose

• Like 1

Still waiting for Dinosaurs... ;)

I think it's interesting as pure research, you never know what may come of such progress in the future. There was a host of megafauna that died out some 10,000 years ago and earlier. Whether it was directly caused by humans is a subject of debate, but if so, perhaps we can correct our mistakes to a degree and bring back some of the creatures we destroyed. Sadly the genetic diversity will be extremely low from having only two animals to work with and they may be the same sex as well. Likely even if successful they would have to spend their lives in a zoo.

You're totally missing the point of scientific research. They are no just doing this so some scientist can have an Ice Age lion living in his back garden.

Being able to successfully clone extinct animals may well help the preservation of endangered ones. Also, this isn't diverting funds away from endangered species. Its not like the research teams have a form to fill out that says "where you like your funding to go? Endangered animals or extinct ones?" Its the same argument that people make about much of scientific endeavour. "Can't they cure cancer before doing x". The two aren't mutually exclusive, and one doesn't detract from the other.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 4

I am all for it, will be amazing to see new life form that has perished long ago. Kind of finding old aliens.

S

One doesn't exclude the other.

For example, North African countries are currently trying back breed Barbary lions from their descendant among zoo lions, to eventually released them in the wild and rebuilt a sustainable population. If we manage to clone these Siberian lions, maybe one day we will be able to do the same with museum Barbary lions to improve the genetic diversity of the then growing population of back breed North African lions.

Meanwhile, Asian lions suffer from low genetic diversity, because there were killed in too great numbers and killed off everywhere except for a single Indian park in the state of Gujarat. Once again, if we can get the right skill to clone museum specimens, we could help Asian lions to recover from a sever genetic bottleneck.

On top of the expertise gained by cloning Siberian lions, which in time could be use to help population of existing lion, these primal lions DNA could bear some of the lost diversity among Barbary and Asian, which could be breed back into these ailing lion populations.

Finally, a few centuries into the future, we should be able to bring back European lion (decimated by Roman circus) and American lion (which didn't survive its encounter with homo sapiens), frog-leaping from the cloning science we develop today.

As for these Siberian lions, on top of these two individuals, we may find other remains and beef up the number to a dozen of DNA progenitors. It seems to be working so far for the European bison who have only 12 progenitors, even though 11 of these came from the same forest in the first place.

As for what will they do with these lion clones, Russians are already working on a Pleistocene Park in Siberia, they'll have plenty of room to do their lion stuff.

http://www.pleistocenepark.ru/en/

And a link to Rewilding Europe who work on the reintroduction of European Bison and backbreeding of wild horse and cattle in Western and Central Europe.

https://www.rewildingeurope.com/

Start smaller and safer. Clone some trilobites and crinoids.

We don't have trilobite DNA, they die off hundreds of millions years ago and DNA doesn't last even a tenth that long. We have the chance to work with Siberian lions, if we snob this opportunity, it will be lost (or it will take centuries before we can use this viable DNA turned into museum DNA).

I will also agree with your statement ..But there are over 16,000 animals that are listed threatened for extinction and millions

are waiting to be addressed to know their status .cloning may help bring back some that are extinct or becoming extinct .

I will close saying we all should help support in the care for animals support laws against poachers would be a good start.

• Like 1

Russia is a big place, they could probably do with a couple hundred cave lions, and some mammoths.

Russia is a big place, they could probably do with a couple hundred cave lions, and some mammoths.

I don't know that starting with predators is a good choice.

I will also agree with your statement ..But there are over 16,000 animals that are listed threatened for extinction and millions

are waiting to be addressed to know their status .cloning may help bring back some that are extinct or becoming extinct .

I will close saying we all should help support in the care for animals support laws against poachers would be a good start.

Yes, I have read the quotes from other members on mine. I recognize that cloning could be a great help.
  • Like 1

I sure there is money involved with this decision. Bring back something that is prehistoric that died off in past instead something that went extinct due to humans.

• Like 1

I don't know that starting with predators is a good choice.

They have plenty of stuff for predators to eat in Pleistocene Park, horses, moose, reindeer, muskox, wapiti, bison and they are working on getting even more species.

I sure there is money involved with this decision. Bring back something that is prehistoric that died off in past instead something that went extinct due to humans.

It seems humans were the cause of the extinction of megafauna. When homo sapiens appear on a continent, megafauna disappear, the laters which survive quite a few glaciation before that, but as soon as you add homo sapiens into the mix...

tumblr_m3b7luZJ9W1r9teyqo1_500.img_assist_custom.gif

As for money, I guess it's Russian money. First, they would like to see some scientific prowess as back in the cold war days, second, that would fan the romantic - patriotic sensibility of their public. Seeing the mammoths and the Siberian lions back in the Russian steppes, so Putin can pose killing one... Of course, it would take quite some time before there are enough mammoths or lions to kill some, so it will be a clone of Putin as well. :yes:

• Like 1

They have plenty of stuff for predators to eat in Pleistocene Park, horses, moose, reindeer, muskox, wapiti, bison and they are working on getting even more species.

So that means we should bring back and introduce a predator to kill them?

I think cloning is bad why can't things stay the way God created it ?

I don't believe that god created anything.

I wouldn't put it past the scientific community that they've already cloned more than Dolley the sheep. Supposedly they're in the process of working with viable Woolley mammoth dna in Sinapore, in hopes of cloning one in the future.

I think cloning is bad why can't things stay the way God created it ?

Who else would you think created these lions?

As for money, I guess it's Russian money. First, they would like to see some scientific prowess as back in the cold war days, second, that would fan the romantic - patriotic sensibility of their public. Seeing the mammoths and the Siberian lions back in the Russian steppes, so Putin can pose killing one... Of course, it would take quite some time before there are enough mammoths or lions to kill some, so it will be a clone of Putin as well. :yes:

There is a great tv program on the Nazis attempting to do the same thing via back breeding. However, they failed to achieve the desired results

Yes, I have read the quotes from other members on mine. I recognize that cloning could be a great help.

( I was agreeing with you ) The added But was my views on the subject not saying anything towards your quote .