Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Close Encounters’ style UFO pic

Pensioner captures picture of a ‘Close Encounters’ style UFO hovering over his home for several minutes

The aircraft was said to have been snapped over Rossie Ochil, Perthshire

It resembles alien ship from film Close Encounters of the Third Kind

John Macdonald, from Dysart, Fife, is convinced he saw a spaceship

It's been suggested it was a drone, but experts believe that's not the case

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3479231/Pensioner-captures-picture-Close-Encounters-style-UFO-hovering-home-minutes.html#ixzz42Arvwf7B

• Like 3

The lights are not actually symmetrical, which seems strange. I got nothing, no idea what that photo is, but I do find his counterparts comment interesting and despite him being certain this is aliens, I cannot see that if this is a regular occurrence.

From the Link:

'When I phoned my friend, who's a shepherd, he said 'don't worry about it, we get this up here quite a lot'.

006704409553b5de1.gif

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

I'm not sure what's more strange. The full grown gnome or the jacket.

The photo he's holding I can live with because it tells me nothing.

• Like 4

It would good to have an estimate of size.

I'm wondering if it could be an Octocopter. They don't sound unlike "hoovers".

Could it be rotating to give the illusion of a circle?

With the GPS capabilities it should not be too difficult to fly at night. And with the Intelligent Orientation Control, like the Naza controller offers, you don't really need to worried about flying nose in.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what's more strange. The full grown gnome or the jacket.

The photo he's holding I can live with because it tells me nothing.

Exactly, it would be great to have more detail as usual.

I think it's awesome that this guy has a friend who is an actual shepherd. How rare is that these days...

• Like 8

Hmmmm. No camera details and we are shown a print????? That's like holding up a 78rpm record... Is Mr MacDonald a film user perhaps? Will he allow unfettered access to the original image, be it a negative/slide or file? Is he able to be contacted, or is any more information likely to be forthcoming?

These questions include a couple I have emailed to the person who interviewed him. I shall report back.

• Like 7

The man said it was so loud that it drowned out the sound of his Jeep. Unusual since most sightings report the objects as silent.

The sound of a thousand vacuum cleaners is a strong indication of a drone, as that is EXACTLY what the more powerful ones sound like up close. However, flying drones at night is very difficult without close line of sight unless it is a VERY sophisticated one (eg on board camera..), but perhaps it was a military one with all sorts of high tech on board altho then why the hell would they light it up?

But a deeper problem exists here.. unless Mr MacDonald is a very fine photographer (at least the equal of me, cough :)) and/or has a rather good camera, getting a non-motion-blurred shot like this at night would be VERY difficult, even if the object was dead still. Not completely impossible, but.... The best way to try to get a still would be to follow the object in the viewfinder and take several shots in the hope that one of them might have fluked the camera movement matching the object.. So, are there more shots? If not why not? Is this image cropped or enhanced? Where is the original? What camera/lens/settings? Where exactly was this and were any nearby house occupants interviewed? It seems this story is more notable for what wasn't asked of him, than what was...

• Like 4

The sound of a thousand vacuum cleaners is a strong indication of a drone, as that is EXACTLY what the more powerful ones sound like up close. However, flying drones at night is very difficult without close line of sight unless it is a VERY sophisticated one (eg on board camera..), but perhaps it was a military one with all sorts of high tech on board altho then why the hell would they light it up?

The lights aren't aren't suggestive of a front or rear. That's why I'm thinking more towards Naza controller operating on course lock or home lock or GPS way points.

In home lock pitching forward moves away from home; pitching backwards moves toward home.

ioc2.jpg

If your not worried where the nose is pointing then light it up for visibility.

• Like 1

Come on people, Seriously? This is a Photo of a TV. You can clearly see the edge of the screen on the right.

It looks like a weather balloon to me. :whistle:

• Like 1

We always seem to see this sort of pattern in the sky - very strange if it's actually true. But many people just want to have their 5 minutes of fame I suppose, and considering it's from the Daily Mail, I'm not surprised.

It looks like a weather balloon to me. :whistle:

That's the old explanation for these sightings. Now days it's drones.

Just because something is an Unidentified Flying Object doesn't make it extraterrestrial.

• Like 2

Worth noting (and probably highly coincidental) that Perthshire was also on the news the day or two before the photo was apparently taken, regarding a meteor that had lit up half of Scotland when it broke up in the atmosphere at night. It made local and national news and Dashcam footage of it was shown on the news.

It just seems coincidental we have all these news report of a factual event caught on cctv and dashcams all over Scotland...... and 24/48 hours later a guy in the same Perthshire area suddenly takes a photo of "an alien spaceship".

Alien search and rescue craft looking for a downed saucer? Or more likely a meteor that fired up the imagination of the public and suddenly a surge in "ET sightings" days after it?

could just be a toy drone with lights added....

• Like 3

Come on people, Seriously? This is a Photo of a TV. You can clearly see the edge of the screen on the right.

Looks more like a photo that was blown up in size and then photographed.

Either way, it's "M'eh" at best.

Of course! If it's unexplain it can't be real..smh

Nooo....then it is just unexplained.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 3

Your point being?

It could be a snapshot of a video he took - he may have no idea what he's doing or how to get from one media type to another. Until we get more information, the nature of how that print came into being is just idle speculation.

• Like 1

Since the 90s I was wondered on this question. If there are aliens visiting earth that wish to remain unnoticed, why have flashing lights?

Edited by gatekeeper32
  • Like 2

There has been 25posts on this thread and not one of them has agreed that Mr.MacDonald may be telling the truth.

Edited by spud the mackem

There has been 25posts on this thread and not one of them has agreed that Mr.MacDonald may be telling the truth.

Say What? Why on earth would we 'agree' to that?

At this stage we have:

- nothing but a picture of a picture of a picture

- no technical details

- no response (yet) from the interviewer

- no corroboration of any kind

- no description of size

- no exact location

...and Mr MacDonald is sure it was aliens..

Whether or not Mr MacDonald believes it is true or not has little or nothing to do with investigating it (unless of course he suddenly comes out and admits fakery). Quite apart from hoaxers and trolls, people make mistakes, get drunk, exaggerate, be delusional and can easily believe their own stories and would happily pass a lie detector test.. I would also observe that speculating about whether someone is lying or not is often used as an ad hominem tactic and to create a non-existent duality - a bit like "You're either with us, or with the enemy..."

So Spud, do you think he thinks it's true? And either way, can you explain how that is a useful opinion?

• Like 1

Basically, I'd say the photo just doesn't offer us enough evidence to come to a good conclusion. What we have there is a photo of 'something' with lights.

• Like 3