Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Low down underhanded trick.

Grandpa Greenman

I'm on a page for the chronically ill that is set up for the non religious support. The administrator says she is coming up with more and more wanting to join, when she checks them out only to find their pages covered with jeSUS memes. I am tired of people taking advantage of my infirmities to proselytize their religion. They have done it in stores, on the street, and the most underhanded place is hospitals and rehabs. "My we pray over you sir?" "Only if I can lead the prayer.... :innocent: Hail lord Satan, deliver these people from their delusions. "

Ah, just make sure you have a little card to slot in somewhere near you which makes your religious affiliations very clear. That'll make them stay away...

I'm grateful that in my stays in hospital the chaplains there have respected my lack of religion and not tried to engage me.

• Like 2

Any chance to slip in some advertising... that's... distasteful, then while being in the guise of helpful, while not actually, being functionally helpful, reduces it to the realm of disturbing.

I recall a series of memes and promises of prayer streaming out on facebook, for a friend's daughter the night before she went in for a major surgery. A long stream of well wishes, promises of prayer and encouragements such as 'jesus will be with you' and various variations on the usual themes. You know, the ones that while being well intentioned, play more as sound bytes, tossed out easily while perusing that never ending buffet of images in the facebook newsfeed.

Then my friend posted his honest and heart felt response which I'll paraphrase here:

"I'd like to take this moment to thank the entire team of physicians and nurses, those scientists and healers who attended decades of schooling to hone crafts and skills, allowing them to attempt the procedure tomorrow that may save my niece's life. May they all get a great night's sleep and be well rested and on top of their game tomorrow. And from the bottom of my heart. Thank you."

It meant so much for me to read that. It echoed how I think and feel when I'm bombarded by well wishes and all the tv messages of prayers being sent to places that have just been devastated by disaster.

It's something very close to what I felt and expressed some years ago, when I went in for a heart ablation to settle an irregular heartbeat issue that had me living for months, not knowing if a blood clot would form and in my oddly working heart and cause a stroke at any moment.

There were five technicians/nurses and the surgeon in all when I arrived in the room for the procedure. And just as they were about to sedate me heavily, I paused and said the following to them.

"I know that Dr. Kim has done this procedure over 600 times already and that just amazes me. I know that for all of you, this is a Tuesday and just, hopefully another day at work for you. But I want you to know that for me. I've been dealing with this potentially deadly issue for months now and my son and my wife have been worried every day and when I come out tonight, I'm going to have a functional heart again. (by now I'm in tears) So, let me express my deep, deep gratitude, for what you all sacrificed all those years in school, saying no to the parties and the invites, to study and learn what you have, so that on this regular for you Tuesday, you are going to help heal my son's, father's heart. My wife's, husband's ticker. You are all amazing!... now dose me and may the Force Be With You~!"

• Like 7

I'm on a page for the chronically ill that is set up for the non religious support. The administrator says she is coming up with more and more wanting to join, when she checks them out only to find their pages covered with jeSUS memes. I am tired of people taking advantage of my infirmities to proselytize their religion. They have done it in stores, on the street, and the most underhanded place is hospitals and rehabs. "My we pray over you sir?" "Only if I can lead the prayer.... :innocent: Hail lord Satan, deliver these people from their delusions. "

2 Corinthians 4:4

Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

Revelation 13:4

They worshiped the dragon for giving the beast such power, and they also worshiped the beast. "Who is as great as the beast?" they exclaimed. "Who is able to fight against him?"

200_s.gif

• Like 1

Look at it as a sign of care and compassion, but yes, insist on your right to refuse.

Your position will probably only worsen. If you read modern medical literature it is now so recognised that spirituality and belief aid in recovery, that health professionals are being taught to be sensitive to a patients beliefs and to integrate 'spiritual' well being into their practices. With luck that might mean your health professionals recognise your personal brand of belief, but more likely you will be treated with a generalised (often christian) mindset

Of course a religious person motivated by their care and compassion CAN offer non religious support and comfort just as much as an atheist can do the same. eg by just listening helping or giving practical advice.. However if their intent or motivation is to proselytise rather than help, then they are wrong.

Often peole will pray for you without your knowledge, and so you will never get offended . Personally I think that is even more rude/inconsiderate than seeking your permission

We have very close friends known for 40 years. The woman recently became very ill These people are very spiritual and strong believers.They do nothing without prayer.

Even so, i asked them if it would be OK for us to pray for her recovery before doing so. They were very chuffed ( especially as i am not an overtly religious type person) that i would make the offer, and happy to accept it/

Likewise, whether i thought it would work or not, i would always accept the offer for myself, seeing it as a sign of concern or compassion for me and feeling it rude to refuse a person's expression of concern and hope.

But it IS important always to ask and to respect a individuals own wishes Other wise, it can be like a doctor operating without the consent of the person, intending good and done because they think they know best, and yet just as wrong. .

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

So don't take their help. Easy solution.
  • Like 1

When I was in hospital the nurses asked me if I wanted a visit from their minister, I declined but there was a lady on our ward who wanted to see him and she had a visit from him every day. It meant a lot to her to see him and I respected that. Even though I had declined I still didn't mind being asked.

• Like 6

Sundays in rehab are the worst. Rehab is like jail, except they torture you, feed you really, really bad food, pay them huge sums of money, and you have no rights. All morning long, "Going to church?" "No, thank you." "Oh, you should....blah blah...." All morning long. I wouldn't have minded, but when full moon came round they wouldn't let me out into the court yard to do my thing, because it was after dark. Afternoon in come the preachers. "May I pray for you?" "Come in", says the spider to the fly, "May I lead... :innocent: ."

• Like 3

53e9fd1898d95fdfa12c31773f6685ba.jpg

Yeah, prayer just makes you feel good about doing nothing. So.......

bc169b5168a68f2075495f423363c360.jpg

Don't thank god for your food, thanks those who grew/caught it. Don't thank god for a successful operation, thank the doctor who spent years perfecting his/her skills. Give credit where credit is due.

It's like those dang Jehovah's Witnesses that never seem to leave me alone. Gonna start asking them to join the church of satan.

• Like 5

The way I see it, God gave talent and competency to the doctors, they need to thank Him for that. You need to thank the doctors for using their talent and competency.

My brother on Chemo was told "maybe you should pray more" by some woman in the hospital cafe.

His response was "maybe you should **** right off".

• Like 8

The way I see it, God gave talent and competency to the doctors, they need to thank Him for that. You need to thank the doctors for using their talent and competency.

My brother on Chemo was told "maybe you should pray more" by some woman in the hospital cafe.

Religion and medicine should never ever mix.

• Like 4

I see that as blaming the victim. I've had Pagans do that to me. "You're not honoring you ancestors enough." I guess people can't accept we live in an imperfect world in which illness can just happens. You must have done something wrong to be sick.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 6

Doctors don't spent years in training to be given talent.
  • Like 2

I accept all heals and blessings from any faith or secularists.

May white light surround you and those in need. I send ruby red rays of healing physical ailments besides burns. I send blue flames for mental clarity. I send pink light of creation. I surround your forum in white light.

huge pagan symbols and upside crosses might help keep many well wishers away. I cannot afford to be choosy.

Send me all

• Like 1

There is a difference between well wishes and proselytizing.

• Like 8

Look at it as a sign of care and compassion, but yes, insist on your right to refuse.

Your position will probably only worsen. If you read modern medical literature it is now so recognised that spirituality and belief aid in recovery, that health professionals are being taught to be sensitive to a patients beliefs and to integrate 'spiritual' well being into their practices. With luck that might mean your health professionals recognise your personal brand of belief, but more likely you will be treated with a generalised (often christian) mindset

Of course a religious person motivated by their care and compassion CAN offer non religious support and comfort just as much as an atheist can do the same. eg by just listening helping or giving practical advice.. However if their intent or motivation is to proselytise rather than help, then they are wrong.

Often peole will pray for you without your knowledge, and so you will never get offended . Personally I think that is even more rude/inconsiderate than seeking your permission

We have very close friends known for 40 years. The woman recently became very ill These people are very spiritual and strong believers.They do nothing without prayer.

Even so, i asked them if it would be OK for us to pray for her recovery before doing so. They were very chuffed ( especially as i am not an overtly religious type person) that i would make the offer, and happy to accept it/

Likewise, whether i thought it would work or not, i would always accept the offer for myself, seeing it as a sign of concern or compassion for me and feeling it rude to refuse a person's expression of concern and hope.

But it IS important always to ask and to respect a individuals own wishes Other wise, it can be like a doctor operating without the consent of the person, intending good and done because they think they know best, and yet just as wrong. .

so, enter walker stage right ... in a post where the OP decalred what he did and also shared his serious issues

Walker chants in ''oh, but you will get worse if you dont get religious ."

Just what you needed to hear when you where a bit down and needed a sympathetic ear eh ?

Thats our Walker !

stay tune for pages of proof ... just to make you feel better !

Aside from that mess .... care giving is a rapidly growing art here .... rising age of population and youth unemployment, coupled with 'work for your unemployment payment means many people are searching for someone to care for .

At least with money for the motivation, they they dont try to proselytize

... Nor come around and shake their head saying " And if you dont listen to me proselytize and take action on it .... you will only get worse.

And then lecture you on the 'facts' and stats about the truth of what they saying ... while you trapped in bed and in pain .

Sort of like a 'mild mannered' hell and brimstone sermon eh ? Anyway, I hope I offered some relief and you appreciate that you are in a different country and will never have to put up with this attitude outside of the internet .... as I am assuming, there can only be one of these guys ... in real life ... for the whole effin world !

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 5

B2E :nw: Thank you.

• Like 2

Sundays in rehab are the worst. Rehab is like jail, except they torture you, feed you really, really bad food, pay them huge sums of money, and you have no rights. All morning long, "Going to church?" "No, thank you." "Oh, you should....blah blah...." All morning long. I wouldn't have minded, but when full moon came round they wouldn't let me out into the court yard to do my thing, because it was after dark. Afternoon in come the preachers. "May I pray for you?" "Come in", says the spider to the fly, "May I lead... :innocent: ."

Dude ! Condolences ! That sucks ! When I worked nursing in Gerry ward, I would offer what THEY wanted ;

How about I wheel you out into the courtyard and we check out the garden ?

Wanna go to the pool and watch the off duty nurses swimming ?

(and yes : ) would you like to go to the chapel (if I knew they had already been doing that )

Cant sleep .... lets go out to the solarium and look at the stars. "A solarium ... at night ? " ... sure, why not, better than staring at the ceiling.

... and their stories ! One guy I had cared for had gone to 3 different wars .... 3 of them ! ( WWII, WWI & Boer War )

I bet you have a story or two I could listen to GG ?

If I had been focused on proseletising I would have missed out on all that ... and annoyed my patients.

One old Scottish guy, went ballistic when he heard bagpipes in the distance (at the nearby hospital fete ) . I had to plead with the staff to let me take him. When he saw them he tried to get out of the wheel chair and march with them ! Nearly had an incident ! had to restrain him in the chair. I asked if we could join in and the band said sure .... so they marched on with us in line, me pushing the wheelchair and his crippled legs 'marching' in time on the footplates. he was overjoyed ... and ya know what ? That rubbed off on me a bit too ! - Boy, did he sleep well that night !

• Like 8

Religion and medicine should never ever mix.

Wait .... you cant cure leprosy with two birds and an earthenware pot ? :unsure2:

• Like 1

Just for Davros.

rofl-4c.gif

I see that as blaming the victim. I've had Pagans do that to me. "You're not honoring you ancestors enough." I guess people can't accept we live in an imperfect world in which illness can just happens. You must have done something wrong to be sick.

Until they get sick ....

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

Dude ! Condolences ! That sucks ! When I worked nursing in Gerry ward, I would offer what THEY wanted ;

(and yes : ) would you like to go to the chapel (if I knew they had already been doing that )

Cant sleep .... lets go out to the solarium and look at the stars. "A solarium ... at night ? " ... sure, why not, better than staring at the ceiling.

... and their stories ! One guy I had cared for had gone to 3 different wars .... 3 of them ! ( WWII, WWI & Boer War )

If I had been focused on proseletising I would have missed out on all that ... and annoyed my patients.

One old Scottish guy, went ballistic when he heard bagpipes in the distance (at the nearby hospital fete ) . I had to plead with the staff to let me take him. When he saw them he tried to get out of the wheel chair and march with them ! Nearly had an incident ! had to restrain him in the chair. I asked if we could join in and the band said sure .... so they marched on with us in line, me pushing the wheelchair and his crippled legs 'marching' in time on the footplates. he was overjoyed ... and ya know what ? That rubbed off on me a bit too ! - Boy, did he sleep well that night !

Gosh BTE, if only we had more people like you we would have a much better world. You should write a book of all your stories!

• Like 4

A Like for you because of the job you did, and with so much compassion - something I don't think I could do. Thanks.

• Like 2

Gosh BTE, if only we had more people like you we would have a much better world. You should write a book of all your stories!

I am a short story writer (amongst other things ) some are the stories of older people I looked after . One is about a guy that , thought he was short and 'not much of a looker' , he came here from England as a ' Ten pound Pom' . At Sydney docks all the handsome young men off the boat were getting invited 'to dinner' by welcoming families (if you get your daughter married to one, they had 10 pound ! and were eligible for a land grant. So he jumped up on a tea chest, waved his note in the air and said " I am ..... and I am an honest bloke and I got me 10 pounds, who will give me a chance ?" and a girl stepped forward (turns out she was an orphan hanging around the docks ) and piped up 'I will". ... and they did .

... and got a land grant ... and some horses and cattle and sheep and goats and a wagon and tools and flour and cloth and .... wow! ... yep, everything ! And started a farm and raised 7 kids and, as he said , " never had a cross word . The only shouting at me I heard was being called to eat ! "

Hows that for 'commitment ' ! - the story's title .

• Like 6

A Like for you because of the job you did, and with so much compassion - something I don't think I could do. Thanks.

neither did I at first ! :unsure2:

• Like 3