Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Low down underhanded trick.

Grandpa Greenman

In a thread with this title, I suppose one can expect any answer ? :unsure2:

• Like 1

In a thread with this title, I suppose one can expect any answer ? :unsure2:

Ahhhh, come on, I had to do it :yes:

• Like 1

If an athiest wants to tell me to stop believing, I will politely answer "no". If I'm in a hospital and I want privacy, I'll ask the nurses to put a sign on the door: "No Proselytizing".

And I'll be grateful to live in a country where there are hospitals to go to when I'm ill, and where people can be an athiest or religious and they don't have to worry about going to jail.

If an athiest wants to tell me to stop believing, I will politely answer "no". If I'm in a hospital and I want privacy, I'll ask the nurses to put a sign on the door: "No Proselytizing".

And I'll be grateful to live in a country where there are hospitals to go to when I'm ill, and where people can be an athiest or religious and they don't have to worry about going to jail.

Ok, the op is about a private group where theists are attempting to get into to proselytize.

I do not, and would not go into a church to try to turn them atheist.

We are asking for the same courtesy.

• Like 2

n o ... I meant what I said to Stubbs ... and our new catch cry for the distressed

somebody_save_me_by_ariel888.jpg

" It will only get worse !"

• Like 1

Ok, the op is about a private group where theists are attempting to get into to proselytize.

I do not, and would not go into a church to try to turn them atheist.

We are asking for the same courtesy.

Ok, I'll back off. I apologize if I came across as judgmental.

• Like 1

I'm on a page for the chronically ill that is set up for the non religious support. The administrator says she is coming up with more and more wanting to join, when she checks them out only to find their pages covered with jeSUS memes. I am tired of people taking advantage of my infirmities to proselytize their religion. They have done it in stores, on the street, and the most underhanded place is hospitals and rehabs. "My we pray over you sir?" "Only if I can lead the prayer.... :innocent: Hail lord Satan, deliver these people from their delusions. "

Just respond with the links in my signature.

• Like 1

"It will only get worse."

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

So will my trauma!!! ;)<_<:devil:

First.

Weird Al!!! :nw: :nw:

Second, having to be forced to eat is part of my trauma. I won't go deeper into this, but I will get nasty on this. I understand trying to eat right, but I can't if I'm going throw it up again and become the possessed while doing it. ;):w00t:

I secretly made you post a Weird Al video!! :yes:;)

And go to jail if people brow beat you, harass you, and other such hostile things some believers have done to prosetylize you as well.

And I don't know about you, but a lot of the times, it doesn't end at 'no' or 'not interested'. For some believers prosetylizing how peaceful and calm they are, they yell. They insult. They believe in beating it into you. It goes a lot further than you think.

And the OP was talking about being entrapped in a hospital where you pretty much a captive, which couples the fact that it could wear you down and slow the healing the process. Do you think it ends with just no right there?

n o ... I meant what I said to Stubbs ... and our new catch cry for the distressed

somebody_save_me_by_ariel888.jpg

" It will only get worse !"

I don't get it. Yeah, I liked it. But, I still don't get it. :unsure:
  • Like 1

Oh! I think I get it. (Thanks third eye for the hint)

But, there's still my trauma!!! :o

• Like 2

Once again, another drive-by but I needed to say - Mr Walker, please learn some compassion and stop turning EVERYTHING in a thread into a "I know best" approach. You already know (or should know) that GmG has faith, but instead of thinking of him and his situation you thought you'd plug your own ideals about spirituality and tell anyone willing to read that spirituality will help him if he only but opens up to the idea.

Shame. Sorry, back to regular programming.

• Like 7

I'm on a page for the chronically ill that is set up for the non religious support. The administrator says she is coming up with more and more wanting to join, when she checks them out only to find their pages covered with jeSUS memes. I am tired of people taking advantage of my infirmities to proselytize their religion. They have done it in stores, on the street, and the most underhanded place is hospitals and rehabs. "My we pray over you sir?" "Only if I can lead the prayer.... :innocent: Hail lord Satan, deliver these people from their delusions. "

Why does it bother you so much that someone would take time to offer you prayer?! Hell, even when I wasn't a believer, I would never mind if someone offered their generous thoughts towards me.

• Like 1

most hospitals are owned by a church of some kind.

• Like 1

Why does it bother you so much that someone would take time to offer you prayer?! Hell, even when I wasn't a believer, I would never mind if someone offered their generous thoughts towards me.

If they wanted to offer a prayer, why do the need to tell him or ask him about it? More so, if they know it's going to upset him, because of his particular beliefs? I do understand, you cannot stop anyone from praying about you, that would be ridiculous. And yeah, I would think it's a nice thing for them to think nicely of you and try what they could if they think it's going to help. I do it with my belief and how I use my belief. Most of the time, I don't let anyone know it. I would think prayer would be just as effective without telling anyone it's being done on them, right?

So, would you have the same feeling ( that you think GmG should have ) if a Muslim asked or told you they are going to pray for you in the manner of their religion? If you do, could you explain how you would accept that?

How about a Wiccan?

How about me, if I told you, that I will practice my belief on you? ( or maybe I already have and you didn't know it ) ;)

What if your's and GmG's situations were reversed, and he did this to you? You would feel the same way, you are encouraging GmG?

Again, in a hospital setting, one has to take into account, not just the physical, but the mental and emotional well being. And considering beliefs and point of views are very important to each and everyone, I would think this would be understood as a complaint.

most hospitals are owned by a church of some kind.

in which I believe have to watched over by the ACLU, https://www.aclu.org/

Are you advocating inequality and religious bias and mistreatment?

I really don't get, how that's the case, in a secular country. :no:

• Like 2

Positive thoughts and well wishes are just that, whether in form of prayer, meditation, or...just good thoughts! I don't see any issue with getting them. Sure, don't preach to me, but otherwise not really worth complaining about or making into an issue

• Like 2

If they wanted to offer a prayer, why do the need to tell him or ask him about it? More so, if they know it's going to upset him, because of his particular beliefs? I do understand, you cannot stop anyone from praying about you, that would be ridiculous. And yeah, I would think it's a nice thing for them to think nicely of you and try what they could if they think it's going to help. I do it with my belief and how I use my belief. Most of the time, I don't let anyone know it. I would think prayer would be just as effective without telling anyone it's being done on them, right?

So, would you have the same feeling ( that you think GmG should have ) if a Muslim asked or told you they are going to pray for you in the manner of their religion? If you do, could you explain how you would accept that?

How about a Wiccan?

How about me, if I told you, that I will practice my belief on you? ( or maybe I already have and you didn't know it ) ;)

What if your's and GmG's situations were reversed, and he did this to you? You would feel the same way, you are encouraging GmG?

Again, in a hospital setting, one has to take into account, not just the physical, but the mental and emotional well being. And considering beliefs and point of views are very important to each and everyone, I would think this would be understood as a complaint.

no, but the few times they have bothered me all i did was say no politely.

• Like 1

Positive thoughts and well wishes are just that, whether in form of prayer, meditation, or...just good thoughts! I don't see any issue with getting them. Sure, don't preach to me, but otherwise not really worth complaining about or making into an issue

I can see this, when viewed this way. And, that is if the case was such. Looking at GMG's original post:

This could be seen as underhanded. And some hide it behind well wishing, until you say you're not interested, then some get angry and crazy. I have had that happen to me.

This should just be avoided, at all times. Again, would it be thought so, if roles were reversed? If those see things like this as innocent, would they if other's beliefs were directed at them?

no, but the few times they have bothered me all i did was say no politely.

That's it?! Elaborate. Did they walk away with a kind smile on their faces?

And I noticed you said, bothered you. That can take a lot of meaning there. In a facility that encourages peace and healing, no one should be bothered.

• Like 3

We get religious folk coming to the door every now and then to hand out pamphlets or invite us to their church. I'm polite, but just tell them "Not interested. have a good day" because I don't want to hear it

It's not about generous thoughts, it is about proselytizing, conquest.

• Like 1

How about a Wiccan?

I respect anyone's choice of religion. So, yes, I would welcome anyone to pray in their own way for me. I am trying to understand how a gesture such as praying for someone could be taken in a negative way. Speaks volumes about the receiver, not the giver. Regarding your question about praying for someone quietly and it's effectiveness: The Bible says this:

Matthew 18:20King James Version (KJV)

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Many people have the belief prayer is more powerful in numbers.

Edited by barbco196
  • Like 1

That's it?! Elaborate. Did they walk away with a kind smile on their faces?

And I noticed you said, bothered you. That can take a lot of meaning there. In a facility that encourages peace and healing, no one should be bothered.

i didn't notice how they walked away and yes they didn't bother me again. just using your term.

It's not about generous thoughts, it is about proselytizing, conquest.

That's YOUR interpretation. Not their intent.

We get religious folk coming to the door every now and then to hand out pamphlets or invite us to their church. I'm polite, but just tell them "Not interested. have a good day" because I don't want to hear it

Precisely. We don't have to share the same beliefs. We just need to be kind and respectful.

• Like 1

I respect anyone's choice of religion.

What about non-believers choice of no religion?

So, yes, I would welcome anyone to pray in their own way for me. I am trying to understand how a gesture such as praying for someone could be taken in a negative way.

Proselytizing gets old to the non-believer. It starts to become very irritating and we just want it to stop.

Speaks volumes about the receiver, not the giver.

Why does it not speak volumes about the giver?

Regarding your question about praying for someone quietly and it's effectiveness: The Bible says this:

Matthew 18:20King James Version (KJV)

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Many people have the belief prayer is more powerful in numbers.

• Like 4