Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bermuda Triangle mystery almost solved?

Still Waters

IT'S one of the planet's greatest mysteries: Why has the Bermuda Triangle claimed so many ships and aircraft?

Scientists believe they are now a step closer to an answer after the discovery of a series of underwater craters at the bottom of the Barents Sea, off the coast of Norway.

While it's not close to the Bermuda Triangle, which stretches from Florida to Puerto Rico and the mid-Atlantic island of Bermuda, it's hoped the craters are the key to finally explaining the baffling phenomenon.

http://www.news.com....8a4b0c18dd93ee5

• Like 1

IT'S one of the planet's greatest mysteries

A manufactured mystery perhaps, plus if you read the wiki it also states methane as a possibility

The legend of the Bermuda Triangle is a manufactured mystery, perpetuated by writers who either purposely or unknowingly made use of misconceptions, faulty reasoning, and sensationalism. In a 2013 study, the World Wide Fund for Nature identified the world’s 10 most dangerous waters for shipping, but the Bermuda Triangle was not among them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle#Criticism_of_the_concept

• Like 3

A manufactured mystery perhaps, plus if you read the wiki it also states methane as a possibility

It is indeed a made-up "mystery".

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 3

My father was a flyboy with the Royal Canadian Navy in the Maritimes from the late 1940s to the late 1970s (30 years). He served on the Magnificent and the Bonaventure with multiple squadrons. He'd been through the Bermuda Triangle hundreds of times and tells me not once was anything weird or strange spotted or experienced. Fog is fog and a whirlpool is just another whirlpool. Now and then he saw bubbles coming up but everybody knew it was just methane, just like inland swamps. To quote him "You can draw out a triangle randomly ANYWHERE on the planet's oceans and you'll see similar numbers of ships and aircraft down." I know he's my father but I DO tend to believe him. He was an "Observer's Mate" and then later an ASW Pilot, eventually finishing off as an Air Traffic Controller...but I must admit, he did say, as an ATController, every few months, something inexplicable was observed around the airfields. Mostly Greenwood, Summerside and Gagetown. I'll have to ask him a little more next time he comes over for a visit and a beer. But that's another topic.

p.s.

He WON'T talk about Shag Harbour though, no matter how many beers I get into him!!!

• Like 5

Have the supposed magnetic fluctuations shown to be false?

The Bermuda triangle is a fraudulent mystery invented by the liar Charles Berlitz in the 1950s, for the purpose of selling books full of disinformation to an uncritical public.

• Like 3

an airplane would fly throguh a bubble before it could affect it. i believe a ship would be mostly uneffected by that bubble.

The Bermuda triangle is a fraudulent mystery invented by the liar Charles Berlitz in the 1950s, for the purpose of selling books full of disinformation to an uncritical public.

except columbus repoerted seeing lights in the sky on his first trip.

like stars, the moon etc.............heck even auroras

He didn't. That comes from Washington Irving's historical fiction, the same source for the idea Columbus proved the world was round.

From the story the lights were supposed to show they were close to land. People have reinterpreted it to be UFOS because Irving had no sense of scale as a writer.

Edited by shadowsot
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I was one of the people that read his books. Fortunately it was in the local library, so I didn't have to pay anything.

At the time it seemed very exiting to read his books about things like the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis, but a little further digging showed that he pretty much made it all up. I guess that last step is something a lot of poeple never gets around to.

• Like 3

like stars, the moon etc.............heck even auroras

no moving lights.

I once read if methane is released in huge quantities it would reduce oxygen in the air and a plane engine could stall. Perhaps this is how some planes disappear.

• Like 1

an airplane would fly throguh a bubble before it could affect it. i believe a ship would be mostly uneffected by that bubble.

A ship would lose its buoyancy if a large methane bubble emerged below it. It is not a question of belief, but a fact.

But it is not really relevant, as the amount of planes or ships lost in the Bermuda Triangle relative to the amount of traffic passing is no larger than anywhere else. It is a made up mystery.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 4

And that's the rub. I suspect that the actual research is separate but they included the triangle angle to drive interest.

• Like 1

the navy flight that got lost with five experenced pilots, and the rescue plane that got lost the next day. seem to show something going on there

• Like 1

If not gasses then I will go with extra-dimensional interference.

index_zpsfbf47f4e.jpg

Doesnt that account for the planes too? I thought this phenomena was already discovered to stall them.

We have ships and planes disappearing in the Triangle. Have any subs disappeared?

• Like 1

Doesnt that account for the planes too? I thought this phenomena was already discovered to stall them.

the navy planes didn't report engine problems until they ran out of gas. if they ditched at sea, or if they crashed on land where are the planes.

This is a years old theory and seems to me the most logical.