Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian billionaire: 'I will live forever'

UM-Bot

Dmitry Itskov maintains that he will live forever by uploading his consciousness in to a robotic body.

Four years ago the Russian entrepreneur founded the 2045 Initiative, a non-profit organization with only one goal - to find a way to achieve everlasting life within the space of just three decades.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/292548/russian-billionaire-i-will-live-forever

• Like 2

Unless the technology is being kept completely secret I cannot believe that it is even remotely possible within anyone's current lifetime to do this (if ever).

• Like 4

This is stupid, the best way to live longer is to stop the aging process, but then we are still overcrowded on earth.

S

If we can ever stop the aging process we'll have to pretty much stop the reproduction process as well. With very few children and young people humanity will be quite different.

• Like 1

If we can ever stop the aging process we'll have to pretty much stop the reproduction process as well. With very few children and young people humanity will be quite different.

Well if everyone is given a robot body there won't be any kids. End of problem.

Even the robot can eventually die out, or someone can pulled the plug of these machines

Edited by MissJatti
  • Like 1

Pure science fiction. And I'm the first to say much in science fiction eventually becomes science fact. But to try and upload a human mind into a machine and then to say, "That is ME in there, all that I am as a person, my personality, emotions, likes and dislikes, my memories," seems like a total fantasy. And anyway, I would expect the Japanese to try this first!

I don't think one can upload a consciousness. By uploading, he will only be uploading the physical information in his brain that defines his personality and psychological traits, then containing that information inside an artificial intelligence that will be a completely separate and independent entity. It's not like the uploader will suddenly lose consciousness and die and then wake up inside a machine. Even if he tries to "transfer" his consciousness to a machine before he dies, he will still die anyway and never "wake up" inside a machine, because the uploaded mind is not him. The uploaded mind will simply be a computer program that operates within the limits of its programming- the programming that was coded with the information of the uploader's brain. It's an imitation, a replication- it is definitely not conscious or self-aware. The uploader will still remain in his physical body, his consciousness will still be contained within his body.

Think of it this way. If every single atom and cell in your body now is replicated and a new body is made that completely resembles your original body both inside and outside, with the same neural connections in the brain and the same memories, personality, mental capacity, psychological traits and functioning and mental state; that duplicate body has everything that defines you, even shares your thoughts and opinions, but that is merely a twin. It is not you. You will still remain in your physical body.

Uploading a mind may not work, but transplanting the entire biological brain into another body will work. But this leads to another question; if each cell of the biological brain is replaced one at a time with a mechanical substitute that entirely replicates the original biological function of the cell, will the consciousness smoothly transfer from the biological brain to the mechanical substitute, or will the consciousness cease to exist, which would mean that consciousness is some strange feature of biology that cannot be replicated or transferred to a non-biological medium?

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 1

There is absolutely NO guarantee that when or if his consciousness "wakes up" in a machine, he will still be "him". "You" are an incredibly complex array of bacteria and organic matter that contributes heavily to your personality. Take all that away, take away all the bodily stimulus the brain was designed for and what do we have left? Do "you" even exist without the myriad of biological processes surrounding your consciousness?

Billionaires are eccentric for a reason - they can afford to live on the fringes of what the rest consider "reality".

Nope, it's not going to work....ever. Just my personal opinion.

In my experience, particularly with science and technology, it has never been a good idea to say "it's not going to work... ever". There have been people who adamantly claimed that AI would never be able to beat a Go player due to the game's complexity, however Google's AI DeepMind has defeated a world champion of the world's most complex game 4-1... just recently. This happened ten years before it was "supposed to". People said "It's not going to happen", "It's not going to work"... and it did.

It has always been a rule of thumb of mine to not EVER say "it'll never happen". To each their own I suppose.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

Imagine if you will the power elites living forever. The rest of the world's population would be serfs, subjects and commodities.

Anyone can live forever,But, Only if they do something, either incredibly evil or accomplish something that is incredibly great. It's called Human history. A good example of doing something great that can be achieved by just about anyone, Is, by making a piece of art that lives on after their death. Those that go down in history for their deeds live on in the memories of those affected by their actions. But to live on in a physical way with your mind intact? I think we all know how that would eventually end up. And for what purpose? Death is part of the natural order of things. We die and move on to the next level,which is determined by our past deeds.Trying to cheat death, always ends in failure in the end.

So, It's better to make the best of the time you have while you are alive. This would be a very simple thing to do if you are a billionaire. Just think of all the poor people you could help instead of focusing on yourself. To want to live forever is nothing more than an extension of Typical Human Greed.

if you do this who will take care of us when we retire.

This is stupid, the best way to live longer is to stop the aging process, but then we are still overcrowded on earth.

S

Even that will not work, When do they decide to stop someone aging? when they are in their teens, twenties, fifties ? The human body, like everything else which lives on this planet, ages. Its part of nature, and we really should not be messing about with that.

if you do this who will take care of us when we retire.

LOL, guaranteed there will still be a retirement age of 60+ and people will still be expected to pay into a pension.,,,even if they will never reach their 60`s.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that when or if his consciousness "wakes up" in a machine, he will still be "him". "You" are an incredibly complex array of bacteria and organic matter that contributes heavily to your personality. Take all that away, take away all the bodily stimulus the brain was designed for and what do we have left? Do "you" even exist without the myriad of biological processes surrounding your consciousness?

Billionaires are eccentric for a reason - they can afford to live on the fringes of what the rest consider "reality".

Exactly. I think science has not even scratched the surface when it comes to our microbiome and the role it plays in our consciousness. IMO: billionaires need to spend more time thinking about ways to better humanity NOW.

what a way to spend eternity....deaf, ,blind, unable to talk....no way to feel anything...no way to move, no way to hold a person, or spend time with them...smell them...and just being eternally terrified of a power cut which would/could.... mean death....

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I wonder what he hopes to transfer using this method.

Just because "information" might be partially transferred, what about the dynamics of emotion?

How does one transfer that?

Though I applaud the effort I do not see how the complex "he" can be transferred.

• Like 1

He can live for all eternity, there's still gonna be one moron who will push the power button one day...

what a way to spend eternity....deaf, ,blind, unable to talk....no way to feel anything...no way to move, no way to hold a person, or spend time with them...smell them...and just being eternally terrified of a power cut which would/could.... mean death....

Maybe THAT is hell? Eternal darkness. Just a thought.

• Like 1

The idea of the survival of consciousness has always fascinated me. First of all you get into deep philosophical/religious questions. Does the human "soul"(or the more modern term "consciousness") begin and end with the human brain? Watch the ending of the movie "Avatar" where Jake's human body dies but the last scene is focusing on the face of his blue-skinned sapient and his eyes suddenly open. It's a very subtle but a very powerful message. Jake's consciousness survives in a new body. However on the other side of the coin, I've developed a spiritual view of death over the years also. We mostly view death negatively, especially when people die before their time, by horrible violent acts or disease and the sorrow felt because of this is legitimate. Death, nonetheless, has to also be viewed positively in many instances. It's a cleansing process for life. It has rid the world of tyrants and despots since the beginning of human civilization. Think of a world where a Hitler, Stalin, or a Kim Jong-un living for 10's of thousands of years all the while only a tiny few elite controlling this God-like technology and leaving the bulk of humanity mortal. This is a fascinating idea to me, but I have to also keep in mind the old Hindu proverb: Be careful what you wish for; it might come true.

its called locked in sendrum and that is my biggest fear.

• Like 1