Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus really nailed to the cross?

Still Waters

Jesus's crucifixion is probably one of the most familiar images to emerge from Christianity. Good Friday, one of the holiest days in the Christian calendar, marks the event. But what was crucifixion? And why was Jesus killed that way?

Crucifixion could be carried out in a number of ways. In Christian tradition, nailing the limbs to the wood of the cross is assumed, with debate centring on whether nails would pierce hands or the more structurally sound wrists. But Romans did not always nail crucifixion victims to their crosses, and instead sometimes tied them in place with rope.

So was Jesus nailed to the cross?

https://theconversat...the-cross-56321

• Like 1

One of those unanswerable questions, with no resolution, which only cause a storm of controversy. If one is going to believe Christ existed--never mind theology-- one might as well accept the tale as told.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

Jesus's crucifixion is probably one of the most familiar images to emerge from Christianity. Good Friday, one of the holiest days in the Christian calendar, marks the event. But what was crucifixion? And why was Jesus killed that way?

Crucifixion could be carried out in a number of ways. In Christian tradition, nailing the limbs to the wood of the cross is assumed, with debate centring on whether nails would pierce hands or the more structurally sound wrists. But Romans did not always nail crucifixion victims to their crosses, and instead sometimes tied them in place with rope.

So was Jesus nailed to the cross?

https://theconversat...the-cross-56321

not nails spikes. not palms would have ripped out, but wrists.

Watching a recent episode of "Expedition: Unknown", had Josh Gates trying to find that cross Christ is said to be crucified on. I found it interesting how some individuals that Josh interviewed said this about crucifying during that time:

Josh heads to Tel Aviv to meet with Professor Hershkovitz who says there are many misconceptions about the crucifixion. For example, the bodies would not have been nailed to a cross as we see depicted and it would not have been a cross, but rather an X shape. The process was to cause pain and suffering so this would have been the method. And as a bit more background, the wood used most likely would have been olive wood.

So, there might be something to whether he was crucified the way it supposes to be told.

I find it interesting that there is that possibility there was a wooden piece or cross he was put on though:

The next stop is over to Bethlehem where Josh goes to the Church of the Nativity. It’s under renovation with several interesting discoveries. Frescoes have been discovered under the plaster and one shows three different styles of crosses carved into the stone. This may be a marker as to where the cross fragments are buried, but they will have to scan the wall to see what might be hiding behind it. You can’t just take a hammer to a church. Interesting to note that one symbol depicts the X crucifix.
So, who knows, there may have been something a kin to what is said in the book or books. I just wonder how it has turned into what it's been believed now.

I remember watching the episode, but I went to this particular site to get the gist of what I watched here:

http://www.rottenworks.com/index.php/2016/01/20/expedition-unknown-the-true-cross-of-christ-s02e10/

Of course he was nailed to it. What else do you think INRI stands for?

I'm Nailed Right In

stock-photo-9176261-jesus-christ-inri.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I wonder why it even matters? So what if he was tied to the cross?

• Like 2

I guess I wonder why it even matters? So what if he was tied to the cross?

Because in the Bible Jesus didn't say "Thomas, put your finger on my rope burns." :tu:

• Like 5

Because in the Bible Jesus didn't say "Thomas, put your finger on my rope burns." :tu:

We don't actually know that Jesus said any of the things attributed to him.

• Like 1

We don't actually know that Jesus said any of the things attributed to him.

So you're saying I should probably check snopes.com then? :whistle:

Maybe it was both; in a failed attempt at humiliation x 2.

Of course it failed:

Luke 9:23

Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Hebrews 13:13

So let us go out to him, outside the camp, and bear the disgrace he bore.

Edited by Mystic Crusader

Of course it failed:

Luke 9:23

Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Hebrews 13:13

So let us go out to him, outside the camp, and bear the disgrace he bore.

12Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate. 13So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach.14For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.

23And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.24"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.…

i hate when people use half versus to proof a point. these are your links.

• Like 4

They had the nails to prove it .... but then the church cut them up into little bits and sold them as relics, along with the wood.

• Like 2

Hands, wrists, nails, ropes. Meh. We don't even know if he was a real guy, the minutia of how he was executed shouldn't matter that much.

• Like 4

They had the nails to prove it .... but then the church cut them up into little bits and sold them as relics, along with the wood.

that would be like cutting up and selling a syringe today.

12Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate. 13So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach.14For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.

23And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.24"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.…

i hate when people use half versus to proof a point. these are your links.

Weird. That's my feeling too.

I dunno, but he seems like a good guy. If he really did exist and all. Seems kind of too good to be true.

It would be nice if there was such a person. And it would suck if that happened to him, but it probably would. Good people don't seem to fare very well in this world.

• Like 2

I dunno, but he seems like a good guy. If he really did exist and all. Seems kind of too good to be true.

It would be nice if there was such a person. And it would suck if that happened to him, but it probably would. Good people don't seem to fare very well in this world.

I always felt that he probably did existed, and I think he was pretty much a leader of what is probably considered ethical and considerate. I agree, what he went through, that is horrible. To be nailed through parts of your body, that's awful. Sometimes, I wonder, if it didn't happen, then he didn't go through the pain and experience. That's me just reflecting though.

I'm sure they nailed him in many different positions.

I always felt that he probably did existed, and I think he was pretty much a leader of what is probably considered ethical and considerate. I agree, what he went through, that is horrible. To be nailed through parts of your body, that's awful. Sometimes, I wonder, if it didn't happen, then he didn't go through the pain and experience. That's me just reflecting though.

I think he is an ideal. He's the best we hoped to live up to, but failed to do so. Many of the things that are attributed to him run through various belief systems. Things like the Golden Rule. I think if anything has a chance of being divinely inspired, it's that. All of that other stuff, like an eye for an eye...not so much. That sounds an awful lot like human desire for vengeance.

• Like 2

Crucifixion was a standard method of execution under Roman tyranny. If they didn't put you to the sword. Millions would have died by it.

• Like 2

I think he is an ideal. He's the best we hoped to live up to, but failed to do so. Many of the things that are attributed to him run through various belief systems. Things like the Golden Rule. I think if anything has a chance of being divinely inspired, it's that. All of that other stuff, like an eye for an eye...not so much. That sounds an awful lot like human desire for vengeance.

ChaosRose-

The "eye for an eye" rule might be better translated as "the punishment should not exceed the crime". For example, in some countries the punishment for stealing is the amputation of a hand (which would be considered extreme in Hebrew culture).

• Like 2

ChaosRose-

The "eye for an eye" rule might be better translated as "the punishment should not exceed the crime". For example, in some countries the punishment for stealing is the amputation of a hand (which would be considered extreme in Hebrew culture).

You can reframe it however you like.

• Like 2

I'm sure they nailed him in many different positions.

I'm sure I detect an unfortunate attempt at humour.

• Like 2