Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lemurs may hold the key to human hibernation

UM-Bot

Hibernating mammals like lemurs could play a role in helping mankind venture out on deep space missions.

The idea of using human hibernation - sometimes referred to as suspended animation - to help astronauts survive long trips through space is not a new one.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/292754/lemurs-may-hold-the-key-to-human-hibernation

I thought in space such as on the ISS astronauts had vigorous excersize regimes due to the lack of gravity??

Wouldnt it be a bad idea physically to send astronauts on a voyage of months and months while asleep? By the time you got to your destination I cant imagine you being in good shape

• Like 1

It's only a matter of time, i suppose.

We'll eventually figure out the intricies of it all and be zooming 'round space like we own the place.

I thought in space such as on the ISS astronauts had vigorous excersize regimes due to the lack of gravity??

Wouldnt it be a bad idea physically to send astronauts on a voyage of months and months while asleep? By the time you got to your destination I cant imagine you being in good shape

Hibernation is more than just sleeping, it involves a massive lowering of metabolic rate. With the chemical processes of the body slowed down the processes which cause muscle and bone wasting should also be correspondingly slowed down.

• Like 3

Thanks for clearing that up. On the other hand though animals still put on an amount of mass to be able to survive hibernation. Im assuming the body would need to be hooked up to some sort of drip?

Hibernation is more than just sleeping, it involves a massive lowering of metabolic rate. With the chemical processes of the body slowed down the processes which cause muscle and bone wasting should also be correspondingly slowed down.

Waspie,

What about aging. That really doesn't slow as much as the other metabolic rates, does it?

Im for it as long as we dont need butt plugs like bears, burrrrr owwywwy pooping that out come wake up time